Ice Storm

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Ice Storm

Post by Walden »

Ice storm hit. Knocked down a bunch of trees and power lines. Our electric was off from yesterday evening to this evening. It fried the new computer and videocassette recorder. I sat in the dark a lot. We had heat in the living room, as long as we kept the fireplace burning.
Reasonable person
Walden
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Very sorry to hear that, Walden. We had a balmy 70F in Raleigh, NC, today. Very strange winter, just about everywhere. Hope the new puter is under replacement warrantee, and that life gets back to normal soon!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

I wondered how ya'll out that way were a-fairin'. We had a better than average day today but the forcasters are saying we will get it next Mon or Tues. I just hope and pray we skip the ice since I have to drive on it, no matter what. The mail must go through, and all .
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Man, it was a shorts-wearin' day in South Carolina, today.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
djm

Post by djm »

I have been watching that storm since it started in North Texas. I know it walloped the spot in Oklahoma, Kansas, Indiana with high winds and freezing rain. The same storm is headed my way and supposed to hit here Sunday night into Monday morning. Whoopee!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

National Weather Service says we have 100% chance for wintry mix tomorrow. It's not over.
Reasonable person
Walden
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Current temperature at our house at 9:45 pm Sat. is +2F, with about 3 inches of snow on the ground. Thank goodness we haven't lost power so far this winter.

I would be sick if I had a new computer and it was ruined. Hope you had backup copies of all the important stuff.
Charlene
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

When the power goes out for any length of time, my concern is always the stuff in the freezer. Guess you didn't need to worry about that. I admit to sort of enjoying power outages--like fishing, a wonderful excuse to sit and do absolutely nothing.

Susan
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I am, at least for the time being, east of the freeze line. Our problem has been heavy rain and flash flooding.

Food in the freezer can last for several hours without electricity, as long as you leave the door closed. In a chest-type freezer, it can last even longer. If the electricity stays off for too long, put your food in boxes and set it outside.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

It's hazardous out there!... watching the birds, cats, dogs trying to negotiate the icy surfaces is at least entertaining though. :twisted:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Boy, those ice storms are just about the worst thing I think. They had a bad one in Des Moines some years ago and for months afterwards there were huge piles of tree limbs that people had been clearing from their yards along the sides of the streets waiting for pick up. It took the city a long time to clean up. We had just the edge of it so we got off lucky. But even here you couldn't walk at all on the sidewalks. I remember sliding downhill on a sidewalk and throwing myself into a snowbank on the side just to stop. They are really super dangerous. I hope the damage isn't too bad from the one down south.

We were at about 11F yesterday with about an inch of snow---the most so far this year. It's in the 20's today but they're saying we could get a lot of snow tonight so we'll see. Seemed like we were getting a little freezing rain when I was out shoveling, so I hope that doesn't keep up.

Be careful everyone. Try not to be driving when it's dangerous. And better keep that firewood handy, Walden. I'm sorry about your new computer---I didn't know that the power going out would do that. It isn't that lightening struck is it?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Well... power's back off and trees ar falling again. I'm posting this from a battery-powered laptop. Huge limbs have been falling on the roof. The pickup truck got hit by one and bent.
Reasonable person
Walden
Denny

Post by Denny »

Walden wrote:The pickup truck got hit by one and bent.
Opps...

For eight years, I moved my truck into the open every time we had a wind storm. The buildings and fences
took a beating.

Did you need more firewood?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Walden wrote:Well... power's back off and trees ar falling again. I'm posting this from a battery-powered laptop. Huge limbs have been falling on the roof. The pickup truck got hit by one and bent.
Geez :o . Do you have a basement to go to? Could the limbs smash your house and hurt someone? This sounds severely scary to me.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

You can make a shelter from falling limbs by crouching under overturned furniture or between large appliances. Take a door off its hinges and make a roof, or put a large item of furniture over it (like a sofa).

Someone I work with has 2 daughters in college in Orlando. They bought a house there for them to live in, because the college dorm was so expensive. During Hurricane Charlie, which hit worst in the part of Orlando where they live, one daughter heard the roof creaking like it was about to lift off, so she got off the bed and went into the hallway. Then, suddenly, a limb of an oak tree stabbed through the ceiling, coming right down into the bed. She would have been killed.

The daughters and a friend put a door across the washer and dryer in the utility closet, then crouched between them. Then they phoned mama and daddy on the cell phone, staying connected for hours. Mom and dad got to hear the wind, the thumps, and the periodic shrieks from the kids as more limbs stabbed through the roof.
Cotelette d'Agneau