I Cooked Dinner

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

My arteries clog at the very thought of it. The fries and gravy have to be very hot in order to melt the cheese. If the curds aren't melted into the gravy its no good at all.

Actually, its pouring here, and I decided I didn't want to stand in the rain at the chipper, so I had grilled salmon steak instead.

I know. I know. Not nearly as unhealthy as poutine. I'll try to make up for it by having breakfast at McD's tomorrow instead. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Re: I Cooked Dinner

Post by dubhlinn »

Cynth wrote:I never ever cook...(short version).. Thank you for listening :lol: .

Next to Joyce, or maybe Beckett..that was one of the most elegant and stylish bits of prose that I have ever read..and I got a few tips for chicken breasts.

I salute you Cynth..

Get out from under that bushel and rattle those pots and pans..

Slan,
D.
:lol: :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Cynth

Re: I Cooked Dinner

Post by Cynth »

dubhlinn wrote:
Cynth wrote:I never ever cook...(short version).. Thank you for listening :lol: .

Next to Joyce, or maybe Beckett..that was one of the most elegant and stylish bits of prose that I have ever read..and I got a few tips for chicken breasts.

I salute you Cynth..

Get out from under that bushel and rattle those pots and pans..

Slan,
D.
:lol: :lol:
I'm glad I was able to convey the harrowing nature of the experience :lol: . I'll be sure to keep you posted on the results of my next effort which I plan to make in no less than two weeks time and possibly a great deal more. I'm going to take that nice compliment with just a little grain of salt :wink: , but I'm going to take it just the same :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I think that cooking, ...can be approached with a relaxed, mindful attention, ...can be elevated to an art or a dance.
I like to cook on the weekdays after an ugly day at work. Sharp knifes, a little bit of wine, and something else other than thinking about to-do lists, CAD models and the like relaxes me and takes my mind off of work.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:My arteries clog at the very thought of it.
Wagner does that to me.

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Nanohedron wrote:
Wagner does that to me.
Also: Jimmy Fallon.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Congratulations wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Wagner does that to me.
Also: Jimmy Fallon.
Uh...who?

...Aha. A comedic sort, it seems (I had to do a Google search)...I am so not "with it" any more.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Cynth,

Oh do I sympathize with you. I don't cook either, unless compelled by company coming that I can't take out for food or starvation for real food on the odd occasion. I did actually cook a chicken dish this evening. It's one of the few chicken dishes I like, and it's from a healthy heart cookbook- the chicken is browned in only two teaspoons of oil, then the rest of the cooking time is spent stewing in apple juice, carrots are thrown in last, then seperated out and the liquid left mixed with honey mustard, poured over the chicken and carrots and topped with crushed honey roasted peanuts. It is simple and one of the few things I cook that everyone else in the family will eat-another reason I don't cook. (they turn up their noses at my favorites like cooked cabbage and cornbread)

I should cook, my mom is a fantastic cook. For some reason I just never liked to cook. There is always something else I'd rather be doing. Oh, and I did all the lab work as a vet tech for many years, the precision of it made it a favorite of mine, but I rarely measure any ingredients when cooking. Hmmm, maybe I'd get better results if I did? :-?

You are a brave woman to tackle such a recipe. I'd have probably smoked a pack by the end of that ordeal!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
djm

Post by djm »

Nano wrote:
Congratulations wrote:Also: Jimmy Fallon.
Uh...who?
Wasn't he the guy that got kicked out of China for playing the gong? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Ah, you were using actual whole chicken breasts. I am so used to the Costco boneless, skinless, tasteless, chicken breasts that I couldn't imagine worrying if they were done.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

To really have tasty chicken it has to be free range, just caught, be-headed, plucked, cleaned and thrown immediately in the fryin'pan. That's how my grandaddy always did it. Catching the chicken was always exciting. He usually kept a dog that was particularly good for that job.
John Foster West
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

fel bautista wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:I think that cooking, ...can be approached with a relaxed, mindful attention, ...can be elevated to an art or a dance.
I like to cook on the weekdays after an ugly day at work. Sharp knifes, a little bit of wine, and something else other than thinking about to-do lists, CAD models and the like relaxes me and takes my mind off of work.
I think this is why my husband likes to cook---it is so different than his work and it relaxes him. He cooks a lot on the week-ends too. He jumps up on Sunday mornings and launches right in making waffles. I just cannot imagine doing that :lol: .
cowtime wrote:Cynth,

Oh do I sympathize with you. I don't cook either, unless compelled by company coming that I can't take out for food or starvation for real food on the odd occasion. I did actually cook a chicken dish this evening. It's one of the few chicken dishes I like, and it's from a healthy heart cookbook- the chicken is browned in only two teaspoons of oil, then the rest of the cooking time is spent stewing in apple juice, carrots are thrown in last, then seperated out and the liquid left mixed with honey mustard, poured over the chicken and carrots and topped with crushed honey roasted peanuts. It is simple and one of the few things I cook that everyone else in the family will eat-another reason I don't cook. (they turn up their noses at my favorites like cooked cabbage and cornbread)

I should cook, my mom is a fantastic cook. For some reason I just never liked to cook. There is always something else I'd rather be doing. Oh, and I did all the lab work as a vet tech for many years, the precision of it made it a favorite of mine, but I rarely measure any ingredients when cooking. Hmmm, maybe I'd get better results if I did? :-?
I don't think so. I'm sure your estimates and results are fine. And that chicken dish sounds very good. I've had cooked cabbage that was really good---of course it had butter on it which we can't have now---but I think I'll see what we can do with cabbage, I'm so darned tired of zucchini! And cornbread---who wouldn't like cornbread? Come on to Iowa!
The Weekenders wrote:Ah, you were using actual whole chicken breasts. I am so used to the Costco boneless, skinless, tasteless, chicken breasts that I couldn't imagine worrying if they were done.
I was thinking that maybe you were thinking I had used those more flat kind of breasts. I know those cook super fast.
cowtime wrote:To really have tasty chicken it has to be free range, just caught, be-headed, plucked, cleaned and thrown immediately in the fryin'pan. That's how my grandaddy always did it. Catching the chicken was always exciting. He usually kept a dog that was particularly good for that job.
Oh gosh. Can you imagine how long it would have taken me to make that chili if I had to catch the chicken first. Not to mention arranging to separate it from its head. Oh heavens! It would be interesting to taste chicken that was that fresh. I'm sure I never have. Weekenders, maybe there is a free range chicken farm nearby where you could chase down a tasty chicken for yourself. A little weekend excursion, might be fun :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

but I think I'll see what we can do with cabbage
My mom tears up the cabbage, adds a little water and a bit of sugar, throws it in the microwave for just a bit, it still needs to be crunchy when served. Butter on cabbage? Never tried that. I have to have white vinegar and salt on mine. I save the butter for the cornbread that goes with it.
That's been my traditional birthday food from mom for many years. I like it better than any cake.

I've got neighbors who still raise young fryers, free range, just for their frying pan. Like their eggs which are much more flavorful, the free range, natural chickens are better too.

You know, I always hated gathering eggs -one of my chores growing up on the farm. There was always an old settin' hen who would be determined to not get off her nest. Since she was right at my eye level in a nest box, I'd end up with her flying right out in my face when she'd finally give up to my poking and prodding. But I did love playing with the little chicks that resulted when grandaddy would "set" a hen. He'd place her and chicks in a little open slatted triangular coop. She was trapped inside, but the babies could come out and play. On occasion, I'm tempted to get a few chickens and a rooster, just so I can wake up to him crowing in the morning, and hear the girls cackelwhen they've laid.
John Foster West
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

cowtime wrote:Oh do I sympathize with you. I don't cook either, unless compelled by company coming that I can't take out for food or starvation for real food on the odd occasion. I did actually cook a chicken dish this evening. It's one of the few chicken dishes I like, and it's from a healthy heart cookbook- the chicken is browned in only two teaspoons of oil, then the rest of the cooking time is spent stewing in apple juice, carrots are thrown in last, then seperated out and the liquid left mixed with honey mustard, poured over the chicken and carrots and topped with crushed honey roasted peanuts.
That does sound yummy. I do something similar (in spirit) that I think at one time I got from a Jeff Smith cookbook. Cut two leeks in 2: pieces, split and clean them (this is the hard part). Dice an onion. Saute the onion in some oil or butter until clear, add the leek and cook until limp. Add ~1 lb cubed chicken breast, maybe a little salt and pepper, and 2 or so tbsp of dijon mustard. Toss all together and add a cup of white wine. Cook over low heat till the chix is done. Whisk 1 tbsp cornstarch and 1 c milk or cream and add to the stuff. Bring to a gentle boil and cook till it's all well mixed and thickened.

Serve over rice or noodles.

Damn, that stuff's good, I think we might have it for supper tomorrow. It's a good dinner for a school night, cooking time is about half an hour (put the noodles water or rice on right after the glop starts simmering; good timing), prep time is maybe 10-20 minutes.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Cynth wrote:[ I'm sure I never have. Weekenders, maybe there is a free range chicken farm nearby where you could chase down a tasty chicken for yourself. A little weekend excursion, might be fun :lol: .
I actually chased down a chicken once, for dinner, in, of all places, Hyderabad, India. The family I was staying with decided to celebrate Christmas (even tho' they were Hindu), for me, I guess. But I had to catch the chicken. Well worth it. Homemade chicken curry is always worth it...Goat curry is even better, but I'm glad to have not had anything to do with that particular despatch...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?