The Oddest Cat I Have Ever Seen

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

The Oddest Cat I Have Ever Seen

Post by Nanohedron »

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

'bout enough...innit?
:o :lol: :o
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I'm amazed our cat doesn't look like that, considering how often she runs face first into the wall.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
harpmaker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by harpmaker »

First a flat cat. How about a fat cat?
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
Denny

Re: The Oddest Cat I Have Ever Seen

Post by Denny »

I think that if ya got one of these

that one of these

would add so much to the entertainment value
Caj

Post by Caj »

emmline

Post by emmline »

I want one. That's really interesting. I don't suppose it would mix well with aquaraphiles, would it? Fun to watch though, if you don't care much for your fish.
Denny

Post by Denny »

You could go with frogs...

shirmp seems a bit unlikely. :D
Cynth

Re: The Oddest Cat I Have Ever Seen

Post by Cynth »

Nanohedron wrote:Image

http://www.bigcatrescue.org/flat_headed_cat.htm

That is all. Thank you.
Well I don't think that head goes with that cat. They did something strange there. Maybe the picture didn't turn out and they tried to fix it. And how could they know there are exactly two of them left in the world? Here are some other pictures of the flat-headed cat:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

Cynth, I think they meant that there are only 2 known examples (both males) in captivity outside zoos, not just 2 left in total...
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
Jack

Post by Jack »

harpmaker wrote:Cynth, I think they meant that there are only 2 known examples (both males) in captivity outside zoos, not just 2 left in total...
This is my impression as well. I was also going to post pictures as Cynth did, to show that the original picture is poorly drawn. The flat headed cat doesn't look like that! It is so cute and raccoonular in appearance. I want one!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I thought the image I posted looked suspiciously like a composite, actually - I believe it to have come originally from a photo, not a drawing - and in any case it certainly looks clumsily retouched (no glint in the eyes, for one), which would make it look possibly drawn or painted, but the one above that Cynth posted shows the same striking coloring differences between head and body, so I don't believe coloring's the issue in and of itself unless Cynth's is a composite, too. Both have short forelegs compared to the rear legs (note that the one in Cynth's photo is positioned on a gentle upslope). It's hard to know what to make of the facial expression and body posture of the one I posted, but that in particular along with the low-set small ears was what grabbed me. I think what also points to a possible clumsy retouching is the prominent lower jaw, which is tiger-like, a characteristic not seemingly evident in the other photos...then again, maybe that cat was just a Jay Leno among flat-headed cats. The cats in the other photos look pretty odd to me, too, though - only not quite so.

By the way, my own cat has a flat head. But she wears it well.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack

Post by Jack »

This post has caused me to do mini-research into the many breeds of cats. And some of them are strange, like the "Exotic" breed. Those have always looked weird to me, basically a Persian with short fur.

Something about their face just seems to scream "Hi. Nice to meet you, I'm psycho!"
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Someday they'll find the human gene that predisposes people to like cats versus dogs.

I don't like 'em. They scare me. They're definitely up to something. It's global and more complex than freemasonry. It'll make all of our other problems irrelevent. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Nanohedron wrote:Image

I thought the image I posted looked suspiciously like a composite, actually - I believe it to have come originally from a photo, not a drawing - and in any case it certainly looks clumsily retouched (no glint in the eyes, for one), which would make it look possibly drawn or painted, but the one above that Cynth posted shows the same striking coloring differences between head and body, so I don't believe coloring's the issue in and of itself unless Cynth's is a composite, too. Both have short forelegs compared to the rear legs (note that the one in Cynth's photo is positioned on a gentle upslope). It's hard to know what to make of the facial expression and body posture of the one I posted, but that in particular along with the low-set small ears was what grabbed me. I think what also points to a possible clumsy retouching is the prominent lower jaw, which is tiger-like, a characteristic not seemingly evident in the other photos...then again, maybe that cat was just a Jay Leno among flat-headed cats. The cats in the other photos look pretty odd to me, too, though - only not quite so....
Your analysis of what is so strange about the first photo seems to have left no stone unturned. And I agree that the cat is, even in the more normal-looking photos still a really odd looking little fellow :lol: . In your second photo he has such a pugnacious look about him---perhaps that's not the right word---just very determined and out to get his way. In that photo I clearly recognize the face of an old co-worker of mine named Joel. Unfortunately, he was not someone I got along with very well :lol: .
Cranberry wrote:This post has caused me to do mini-research into the many breeds of cats. And some of them are strange, like the "Exotic" breed. Those have always looked weird to me, basically a Persian with short fur.

Something about their face just seems to scream "Hi. Nice to meet you, I'm psycho!"
I don't know much about cat breeding, but the breeders have greatly affected the appearance of cats. I find the faces of many Persian cats to be not very lovely.

These photos were taken around 1900. There may be other types of Persian cats that looked more like the modern Persian cats I see, I don't know. But I think the cat in these pictures didn't need to change into a flat-faced odd looking cat, if that's what the breeders did. It was beautiful just the way it was.
crookedtune wrote:Someday they'll find the human gene that predisposes people to like cats versus dogs.

I don't like 'em. They scare me. They're definitely up to something. It's global and more complex than freemasonry. It'll make all of our other problems irrelevent. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
:lol: I used to be very afraid of cats but I married someone who had a cat and I slowly lost my fear and found that they were wonderful companions. But I do remember when I used to find them quite scary. I'm not one to just go and pick up or mess with a cat I don't know---I'm that way with all animals pretty much. I think a lot of people like both cats and dogs. I have met some darling, sweet, wonderful dogs. I'm not sure I would be able to give a dog as much exercise and leadership as he needs though. Oh---there's no way cats could be cooperating in some global conspiracy. They just don't work together like that. Mine can't even orchestrate getting in and out the door so that they both end up either inside or outside---and they are trying. You can cross that worry off your list.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca