Very very OT - Seeking job brainstorms and opinions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JohnPalmer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JohnPalmer »

Avanutria,

Might there be a possibility in the educational field, teaching whatever you do in a high school? Teachers do get to choose their location, and working with people is very rewarding. You would have to stay in college for one more year, to obtain a credential, or earn it through an expensive night school. And you would have summers off!!!

Good luck,
John
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Ava, I have not read most of the posts. All I can say is do engineering stuff. It won't be like engineering studies. Working for a company that makes or sells stuff is not like academia.
clarinetwhistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been quite a few years since I've been to the forums. Looking forward to spending a little more time in the community.

Post by clarinetwhistler »

I'll also throw in a vote for the guidance counseling. Helped me decide what direction to take when I was wavering in my desire to continue with my engineering studies (I graduated with an accounting degree in the end). However, as far along as you are and presuming you'll have no trouble graduating, there is definitely some wisdom in at least trying it for awhile after graduation. You could Temp it to get an idea of the marketplace, first. I worked Temp when I relocated to Seattle after college and again when I moved to Boise. Both times I ended up turning Temp jobs into permanent positions.

As far as other career fields, so long as money is not a goal, you could look at music retail or maybe a bookstore. I could see you selling whistles at Dusty Strings :smile:
I'm also not sure what it's like now (been out of it too long), but the music recording industry in Seattle used to be pretty up and coming, too. And, there are always fields that you can use more of your formal education in--accounting and finance require good math and computer skills.

Oh, there is one more possibility I just thought of ... you could get into politics. I can see the campaign slogans now: "A whistle in every pocket!" (Hey, I like that one. Hmmm ....) :smile:
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Sigh...I don't know how to say this without sounding unhappy (which I'm not!), but teaching is not for the faint of heart. I teach and I absolutely love it, but the flexibility and summers off come at the expense of lots of (often unseen) work. We are increasingly dumped on by society, screwed around by politicians, and our wages are not keeping up with the cost of living.

I've now taught for a dozen years and it'd take a forklift to get me out of this profession. It's the perfect match for my personality and skills, and I can't think of any field I'd rather be in. I've guided five student teachers through the trenches, which has been very refreshing. But, do you know what? The first four were gifted teachers, arriving with a passionate mindset and a set of skills that got them off to a good start. They were armed with a love of kids and the flexibility to learn and improve over time. The fifth one came because she was knowledgable and was motivated by what she described as the "great working hours, good dental benefits, and summers off." Not much passion or flexibility. It was a painful experience for the two of us, and although she improved enough to minimally meet the program requirements and qualified as a teacher, she's already looking elsewhere.

So...ahem...it IS a great and wonderful line of work with summers off and flexibility. But there's a whole lot more to the job. I'd recommend anyone who is interested spend several weeks observing and chatting with a few different teachers in varying schools before they decide whether it's a good match for them. If you find it's a match, enjoy! :smile:

Jef
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

You're going to be a music studio/hall, acoustic design consultant. You'll design the structures and test them for whistle acoustics.
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

my only suggestion would be to forget the job for now. pack a small bag and take just a little money(and a whistle) and travel for a year at least ,to some of the places that you've dreamed of. you might then gain the perspective needed and balance out some of your time spent learning to be an engineer.

you asked for it
have some fun and adventure,tansy
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Oh, I like Tansy!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Find a job in your field of study but never shut your eyes to possibilities. Life will happen an if you keep attuned you can't imagine what will come up. Even if you don't stay you will have "back up insurance" of working experience in your field of study. Plus, you will make contacts that will come in handy.
I could never have guessed that I would have the jobs I've had and I've liked them all.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

My students were always busy trying
to find careers, and often
I suggested they wait a bit
and spend a year or two just
being young. Or doing something
like waiting tables or whatever
for awhile. I worked maintenance
in the Denver Parks for several
years--it was fun, actually
learned a lot, especially
from my Hispanic coworkers.

But finally I realized that it
wasn't going to last forever,
not for me. So I went to the
Women's Resource Center at
the University of Denver and
took the Interest Test, which
said I should be a fluffer
in adult movies in LA.

Well, not really, it said
that I would be happiest
as a psychology professor
in a university. I knew
what that meant, really
--so I enrolled
in graduate school in
philosophy at U of Colorado.
I was 36 and I got my
Ph. D. at 41.

It doesn't have to be
a race...

Now that
I'm living in LA,
and I've retired
from teaching,
I think I'll
turn to fluffing,
at long last...
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

My opinion of the teaching profession: being a retired teacher is infinitely better than being a teacher.

Teaching definitely enhances the experience of sliding down the razor blade of life.

Richard Saylor (Ph.D., Rice Univ., 1966)
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

In 1984, I left teaching after 15 years, entered the defense industry, finally returning to teaching for another 14 years. I remain in teaching - Public Middle School and private university level. I remain enamored of the profession. I do not understand the mis-conception concerning teachers having 'summers off'. My venue changes, but I work very hard during June, July, and August. Instead of working in a classroom, dealing with 6 sessions of 30 students each, per day, I am in libraries, in comtemplation and re-structuring of course work and curriculum, and in front of my mighty Mac. A person either loves it or not. Summers off?
I think not.
Cheers.
Byll
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

My experience was much like
Richard's, I'm afraid. It's
better not to be spending
my days explaining obscure
ideas to uninterested people.
Glad that many people love
teaching, of course.