Redwings singing on teritory, East Vancouver

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Redwings singing on teritory, East Vancouver

Post by s1m0n »

Here in the sultry Republic of East Vancouver, the spring nesting season is underway--today for the first time I heard male Redwing Blackbirds singing on territory at Trout Lake.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

El Niño is a wondrous thing. :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

djm wrote:El Niño is a wondrous thing.
Isn't the classic el niño effect cool weather on the west coast & warmer weather in the east?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Here in Montréal I saw a dandelion blooming yesterday. Normally we don't see any flowers here until late April.
djm

Post by djm »

I don't know about "classical", but El Niño on top of global warming has resulted in abnormally mild weather from coast to coast. It "should" be -5° to -10C° today, with about a foot or two of snow. Instead, we are getting highs in the double-digits and I need to cut my lawn. :o

djm
chas

Post by chas »

I swatted two mosquitos here last weekend. Today I saw the bloom of a hyacinth popping its head up. I hope when winter finally arrives that the plants survive it okay and the pests get hammered.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I've got crocus, daffodils and tulips starting to come up. This is way too early, but then our weather has been way too warm for this time of year. I'm not complaining, other than I bet our fruit trees, etc. will not bear much this year since they'll probably break bud and then we'll get a hard frost if not worse. The cold weather is supposed to hit us this week.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Darn! I thought this would be a hockey thread.

Yeah anyways, here in England I've not seen one... single... snowflake. None.

It did frost once or twice though, but that's about it.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

It's really a pain here in Montreal, because every morning I'm not sure which jacket I'm going to wear. I got three: a rain jacket, an autumn jacket and my super Kanuk winter coat, which is totally useless under rain and too warm when it's above -5. So these days here it could be raining, snowing, you could get an ice storm, etc. It's a little bit crazy.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Re: Redwings singing on teritory, East Vancouver

Post by SteveShaw »

s1m0n wrote:Here in the sultry Republic of East Vancouver, the spring nesting season is underway--today for the first time I heard male Redwing Blackbirds singing on territory at Trout Lake.
Are you talking about the redwings we get here in Britain in winter (Turdus iliacus)? They come down as winter visitors from Scandinavia, though there are small numbers breeding in Scotland too. Along with blackbirds and fieldfares they have spent the last two months demolishing the windfall apples at the bottom of my garden. If this mild winter continues there should be a good survival rate this year.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
bradhurley

Re: Redwings singing on teritory, East Vancouver

Post by bradhurley »

SteveShaw wrote:Are you talking about the redwings we get here in Britain in winter (Turdus iliacus)?
Nope, this is another family entirely, and confusingly enough they are called redwing blackbirds but are not at all related to your blackbirds, which are very closely related to our robins, which are not at all like your robins. :lol:

Our redwings are Agelaius phoeniceus.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Just goes to show the truth of what we botanists have always said: Latin names are best! :)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
djm

Post by djm »

Here you go, Steve: red-winged blackbird. Named for the red epaulettes. I can't remember if there are different subspecies east vs. west N.America. Its trill is one of the first signs of spring as it returns to swamps and marshes to build its nests in the cattails and reeds.

djm
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

That's a good photo. If I'm not mistaken, redwings are Icterids.

(Checks--yes, they are). Here's yours and here's ours.

The males come north about three weeks earlier than the females (who look like slightly larger sparrows).

The sit upright on cattails and willow branches overlooking wetland*, and made a loud "skwaaa" sound to establish territory. for me, it's a much more evocative (and reliable) sign of spring than the cliche 'first robin' (which is a thrush in north america).

*as the male in the wikipedia page is doing.

C.S. Lewis
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

sign of spring than the cliche 'first robin' (which is a thrush in north america).
Ofcourse here it would be the swallow or the cuckoo announcing spring, there are flocks of robins around the birdfeeders outside the house all winter. But then again you could argue Ireland has something resembling a winter only every so many years.