Very very OT - Seeking job brainstorms and opinions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Now, I know this is likely to be a flop, because it's so difficult to get people to post pure opinion on this site. But what the heck, I've already got experience starting fights, I have nothing to lose :grin:

OK here is my situation. In spring of next year, I will be graduating with a degree in mechanical engineering and moving to Seattle, Washington. Sounds great - except I have <b>no</b> idea what kind of job I want to look for. I really haven't been enjoying engineering in the past year and a half or so, so I am not too enthusiastic about working as one. And I greatly dislike design. I am open to working in an area outside of my major. Rube Goldberg did it, after all...

So - I want to look into other options that would be more suitable to my interests. I would love to work in a field somehow related to Ireland, and Seattle has a big Irish scene ( http://www.irishclub.org ). But what sorts of jobs would be 'related to Ireland'?

My main interests, which have turned me into a fledgling jack-of-all-trades (jane?) are as follows, earliest first:

How Things Work (and what makes them break)
Computers
Technology
Languages
Photography/Photojournalism
Television production
Children
Books/Literature
Geneology
Music (Irish, folk, theory)
Audio recording
Travel (which has surprised me, actually...)

...there isn't really any common thread, and I wouldn't qualify as expert in any of them.

See my dilemma? I have to start figuring out what direction to go. But when I had the same problem in high school, I decided on a direction (photojournalism, which then turned to engineering kind of as a default) based on the very limited number of ways I knew of, and consequently passed up interests of archaology, movie effect production, linguistics, merely because I had no idea what to look for.

I'm trying to avoid that happening again.

*opens floodgates* Feel free to brainstorm.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

If you're not expert in any of them, go for a job that combines say, three or four of them. You'll interview better than the people who know a lot about one and nothing about the rest. You'll also enjoy yourself and, after a while, you'll be an expert in all of them. Now, what exactly might that job be?
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

I was looking down your list and thought...
This sounds like the local public television station. Maybe they'd like a multitalented engineer. When they do specials on Ireland you could work you way into greater involvement. Just an idea, as long as it supports your off hour opportunities to ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Couple of things I can think of...

Consider temping while you work on deciding what you'd like to do permanently (or semi-permanently). Sometimes really exciting job oportunities open up at places where you're temping...and if you're already there, and know people, you can get an "in" you wouldn't already have. I was once offered a technical writing job (which I would have loved, but had to decline because we were moving) at a place where I'd been temping as a department secretary! That will also give you an idea as to what companies are fun/pleasant to work for in the area...sometimes it doesn't matter how great the job sounds on paper -- if the company's a pain, the job is pure hell.

Go to http://www.headhunters.net and see what jobs are available in Seattle in fields you think you might be interested in. The offers there generally list qualifications, so you can see if you'd be qualified (or perhaps have to take additional courses) for the jobs that sound most interesting.

Also, do bear in mind the cost of living. A travel agent's job, for example, may sound like fun, but if it won't pay the rent and buy groceries, it's not going to fit the bill. Sometimes it's best to find a job that will meet your physical needs and let your other interests be avocations (and sometimes doing that can eventually lead to a career IN one of those interests that you never would have thought of).

If you do find a job you think you'd love, but it won't support you in Seattle, would you be open to living somewhere else? Sometimes the job that won't even keep you fed in one place will allow you to live quite nicely in another. For example, I wouldn't want to have to support myself as a teacher here in Santa Cruz, but could do quite nicely as a teacher in Alaska or Las Vegas.

Just a few points to ponder.

Redwolf
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

I'd highly recommend you book an appointment with the (career) counselling department at the university. There's a whole gamut of interesting activities that they can do with you that will try to match your interests and skills with a smattering of what's out there in the marketplace. It's not perfect, but it may lead to an "aha" that you hadn't thought of yet.

Actually, I had assumed that you wanted to become a recording engineer. :wink:

I've heard that the University of Washington has a top rate automotive engineer (design, I think) program that sees most of its grads snapped up by automakers. Perhaps the department there has leads on related and semi-related occupations that other grads have pursued.

Jef
PS Law school? Specializing in immigration? OR...Starbucks barista?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I second jeferson. Vocational
counseling is effective and inexpensive,
especially if you're at a university.
I certainly benefitted. Of special
value was an interest test,which
tells you what you will
be happiest doing, I found.
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

Avanutria- Congratulations on your up-coming graduation! That is a great accomplishment! I read your post and gave it a lot of thought. Your dillemma is one that I can personally relate to. I will share with you some knowledge that has come to me through much trial and tribulation. :smile: I hope that it serves you well.

I would advise you to get a job in engineering. Even though you have other interests and passions that are indeed worthwile you really need to ground yourself in a career and try to become the best that you can. Remember, work is only a part of what we do. You may find Engineering and design boring right now, but with all respect, you are still in college. Believe me, Avanutria, the world at large is a lot different. You may find that you LOVE engineering in the real world. Anyway, even if you just like it you're doin' better than most. :smile:

If you are going to be in Seattle, make yourself known in the Irish community. There may even be an Irish-American Chamber of Commerce or Hibernian Society there that you could join. If you work hard and always do your best (most people don't) You will always stand out and good things will come to you. For example, because of your social life and work experience/ethic during a business meeting somebody might say "I know this Engineer named Avanutria that would be just perfect for..." and you could very well find yourself on a project in Ireland. These kind of things happen all the time.

As I understand it, Engineering as a profession provides a good level of income which makes it possible to buy fine musical intsruments and take lots of trips to Ireland. :smile: (and other amazing places)

Many of the other things you list as interests can be fully undertaken throughout your life and done well by you if you have a good base career. (Archaeology, et al) You can study and participate in those diversions in your spare time, and who knows... any or all may turn into a career one day.

You are about to leave school and enter a totally different environment. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, and you've got a degree that many people would give their right arm for (Musicians excluded) :smile: Take it and run! You will probably surprise yourself!
Last edited by Paul on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gary

Post by Gary »

degree in mechanical engineering + interest in whistles = design a whistle & start a whistle company.

Please send me a whistles when you've started production.

Gary

:grin:
goesto11

Post by goesto11 »

Avanutria,

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation. Here are a few random thoughts, for what they’re worth.

I agree that you should give engineering a try. Doing it full-time is very different than doing it while in college. You may end up liking it, and even if you don’t it will be good experience for you and will also look good an your resume. Plus, engineers are usually fairly well-paid.

I know that people say that you should do what you love, but I think it’s better to love what you do. What I mean is that when you turn a favorite hobby into a job, it can turn into a chore (that’s why “work” is a four-letter word :wink: and you can end up burned out on it. If you keep it as a hobby, you might continue to really enjoy it, since you can do it when you want, and not 9-5. I found this to be true with photography. I loved it, but then when I started doing it for pay, it became a chore.

One more specific thing is to think about law school. I worked as a software engineer for a number of years, and found that it wasn’t for me. I really enjoyed figuring our how systems worked, and also doing the design of communication systems, but the debugging, documentation, and lab work were not for me. So I went to law school at night and now work as a patent attorney, which is a job that I love. Again, I love what I do, but am not doing what I love. I love my job, but would not be doing it if I suddenly won the lotto.

If you would like more information offline, let me know.

John Mac
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Beth,

Have you considered being a sales or technical support representative for some big com[pany that sells mechanical equipment internationally?

I mean, if you worked for an American company that sold potato combines in Ireland you'd have a lot of your interests covered.

What if you worked as an engineer for a company that manufactured saxophones?

Or get a day job and become a free-lance writer (yes I realize that was a sentance fragment, hence I am not a free-lance writer).

But seriously, sales probably gives you the most oportunity to travel as well as to control your own income. Technical support gives you travel oportunity as well and let's someone else worry about your income (not always a bad thing).

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Thanks guys, keep it coming! Just want to elaborate on a couple points that were made:
On 2002-10-04 15:28, Paul wrote:
I would advise you to get a job in engineering. ... You may find Engineering and design boring right now, but with all respect, you are still in college.
Actually, my program incorporates several internships into the time spent in school. At the end of November I will have 51 weeks logged as a paid engineer, working for 6 months in two utility companies and 6 months at a computer company.
On 2002-10-04 15:05, Redwolf wrote:

Also, do bear in mind the cost of living. A travel agent's job, for example, may sound like fun, but if it won't pay the rent and buy groceries, it's not going to fit the bill. ...

If you do find a job you think you'd love, but it won't support you in Seattle, would you be open to living somewhere else?
These two comments are related. Between myself and my boyfriend, who is currently employed in Seattle, we will be able to manage the cost of living even if I don't have a 'high paid professional salary'. (I've been given permission to "explore away" :grin: ) But conversely, that does mean that I am limited to the Seattle area geographically.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2002-10-04 15:45 ]</font>
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

On 2002-10-04 15:33, Gary wrote:
degree in mechanical engineering + interest in whistles = design a whistle & start a whistle company.
Sorry, that's confidential. :wink:
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Do you have some connections in Seattle, Beth? I'd advise talking to people here before the move. As many visits as you can afford prior to the move would be a big help to scope things out. Seattle's (Washington's on the whole)economy is not in the best shape and expected to get worse over the next 2-3 years. Network as much as possible because jobs are scarce and the cost of living is high. I've lived here almost 10 years, and can't say there's a big Irish scene. I'm sure more so than Boise though.

If you need help connecting with folks, let me know.

Teri
Paul

Post by Paul »

Posted: 2002-10-04 15:41 by Goesto
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Again, I love what I do, but am not doing what I love. I love my job, but would not be doing it if I suddenly won the lotto.

VERY well said, John!
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Hey Teri -

Any help would be appreciated. I currently only have one contact in Seattle, my boyfriend, who has a very good job there and we do not forsee his leaving it.

If you have more info on the employment status of seattle it would be useful, thanks. Feel free to email me, remember to remove the 'spamblocker' in the address.

Based on the website http://www.irishclub.org I was under the impression that the Irish scene in Seattle is fairly lively, but perhaps I am mistaken. Hope not...