Converting the Philistines

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jmccain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmccain »

Il Friscaletto wrote:Anyone ever see that clown, Andre Rieu, on PBS?
His stuff is not enjoyable for me. On another forum board someone wrote that Rieu makes Lawrence Welk seem like John Coltrane. <yuck, yuck>

Best, John
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

doogieman wrote:Hey Matt_Paris - Have you had your soprano refered to as you "Kenny G" saxophone?

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Antique Collectible Sax-o-Flute -One of a Kind EBay Item number: 150077906508

Already, already ! Cheezz....
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

heh!

it's a whistle-o-flute, innit...
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

doogieman wrote:Hey Matt_Paris - Have you had your soprano refered to as you "Kenny G" saxophone?

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Nope, thank god, Kenny G is not very popular in France.

But I had my Rudall & Rose called a "lord of the dance" flute... Grrrr :moreevil:
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

withak wrote:My mandolin has been accused of being a banjo before.
I HATE that. Ukulele is worse tho.
Aerowhip

Post by Aerowhip »

Regarding Andre R, my folks (who are moderately musically educated) enjoy the begeezus out of watching him. Of course, they've been known to indulge in an occasional Lawrence Welk rerun too -- we all used to watch the originals together when I was a kid and my grandmother lived in the house. It was a hoot. What I say is, anything that gets folks listening to music is great, and anything that helps entertain the older and frailer, so much the better.

Last time I was visiting, I caught sight of one of the wooden flutes in the background, and never did get a chance to figure what sort of system it was. Maybe I'll have to look more carefully!

Linda

(No oboes were harmed in the writing of this posting!) :D
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

Andre R, to me, is kind of like a car wreck. You can't help watching!

;)

I was subjected to Lawrence Welk as a kid, so maybe that's why I like to make fun of him.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

TheSpoonMan wrote:
withak wrote:My mandolin has been accused of being a banjo before.
I HATE that. Ukulele is worse tho.
You won't believe this: I actually had a fellow with no musical studies to him come up and ask if I was playing a cittern! I gaped at him, just about had a coronary from the novelty of it all, and bought him a drink. He was my bestest friend for the evening.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dpmccabe

Post by dpmccabe »

At a gig once, this was overheard regarding someone's bodhrán playing:

Kid: "Dad, how is he playing that drum?"
Dad: "See, what he's doing there is actually dislocating his wrist."

The bodhrán player was, in fact, using a stick as you'd expect.
Lucas
Location: where the beer is good and plenty (that be Belgium)

Post by Lucas »

Aerowhip wrote:
Last time I was visiting, I caught sight of one of the wooden flutes in the background, and never did get a chance to figure what sort of system it was. Maybe I'll have to look more carefully!

Linda

(No oboes were harmed in the writing of this posting!) :D
Both flutists play wooden Boehm flutes. It's not always easy to tell but you get a hint from this picture: Image
Digiti animaque non satis
http://users.skynet.be/fluiten
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

dpmccabe wrote:At a gig once, this was overheard regarding someone's bodhrán playing:

The Dad above was actually close to the truth. At one time I thought that I wanted to play the bodhran. However, I couldn't play the thing without getting pain and numbness in my wrist, so I sold the drum to another neophyte bodhran player. I now have a similar goat skin frame drum that I play with my fingers and thumb. It doesn't hurt my wrist like the bodhran, which is traditionally played with a beater stick.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
dpmccabe wrote:At a gig once, this was overheard regarding someone's bodhrán playing:

The Dad above was actually close to the truth. At one time I thought that I wanted to play the bodhran. However, I couldn't play the thing without getting pain and numbness in my wrist, so I sold the drum to another neophyte bodhran player. I now have a similar goat skin frame drum that I play with my fingers and thumb. It doesn't hurt my wrist like the bodhran, which is traditionally played with a beater stick.
You'll be interested to know, Doug, that using a tipper/pin/cipín/beaterthingy on the bodhrán is quite optional. It's just as traditional, if less common, to use one's hand: you bend your wrist and loosely strike the head with the somewhat bent surface of the first and middle fingers which are supported in back by the thumb (I'm sure there are variations on this), but despite the absence of the tipper, the overall back-and-forth technique is very similar. Building up calluses is recommended. A bloodstained bodhrán, while arguably somehow appropriate, is not for polite company.

I know two local boys who play only by hand, and of one such in Chicago.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Is the dude in the background rolling a joint? It would explain so much....
Lucas wrote: : Image
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
yillbrillem

Post by yillbrillem »

Chiffed wrote:Is the dude in the background rolling a joint? It would explain so much....
Lucas wrote: : Image
I believe he's actually rolling the traditional "beater stick" or "bone" as the smokers in the band like to call them
Chinese proverb: “If thy neighbour offends thee, give his children gifts of drums.”

www.windwoodflutes.com
yillbrillem

Post by yillbrillem »

I've gotta be revealing something here... but this thread hit a lot of nerves, I must admit, I play the "golden clarinet" (and have explained as much to Kenny G fans) ... also love the polkas... AND it's great North American Hero, Lawrence Welk) everybody, jump! but sort of self-consciously!

...and I'd like to also submit that "if you like-a ukulele lady... ukulele lady like-a you!"
Chinese proverb: “If thy neighbour offends thee, give his children gifts of drums.”

www.windwoodflutes.com