Wood ID needed

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Wood ID needed

Post by Doc Jones »

I have this lovely flute and am not sure of what the wood is. Doesn't look like any rosewood I've seen. And doesn't irritate me like some rosewoods do.

Any ideas?

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Looks like red/white X wood...

Maybe it's just my computer, but I don't see a picture - just that red X in a white field.

Edit - Oops - it was my computer. Nice looking wood, but I'm not sure what kind of rosewood it is.

Eric
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

Cocobolo ?
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

I've got a chunk of Rosewood that looks just like that. OTH, I have a piece of Cocabola that looks like that also. Did someone tell you it was Rosewood?

When you say that it doesn't irritate you like some Rosewoods, I am assuming you mean a skin irritation, and not that playing a Rosewood flute ticks you off. :wink: No skin irritation could be due to the finish that was applied.
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I can almost read that maker emblem, but not quite.....what's it say?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Schul
Oxford

?
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

crookedtune wrote:I can almost read that maker emblem, but not quite.....what's it say?
Looks like Mr. Glenn Schultz of Thin Weasel fame made that flute, to me.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
phcook

Post by phcook »

First choice coccobolo

2nd mopane
Breizh soner
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

Let me see here...ehhhh I wish I could tell you what kind of wood it is, but it's taking too damm long for the photo to load. Please learn how to resize and lower the resolution of your photos before posting them to the WWW. They don't need to be more than 100k in size or more than 72ppi in resolution when they will only be viewed with a web browser. Higher resolutions are for when the image is going to be printed. There are freeware apps for photo manipulation and/or optimization, for the three popular OSes.
Check out: Folding@Home!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

That's definitely a Schultz in Cocobolo. I have one just like it. Someone's gonna love that flute, Doc!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
springrobin
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

brewerpaul wrote:That's definitely a Schultz in Cocobolo. I have one just like it. Someone's gonna love that flute, Doc!
I agree- Oxford, Michigan sounds right too. It's right around the corner from me.....
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Okee Doke cocobolo it is. That was my guess but I wan't sure as it's even prettier than a lot of the coco I've seen.

Yes it's a Glenn Schultz by the way.

Thanks all. :)

Doc

Doc's Website

chas

Post by chas »

Definitly cocobolo; I suspect I'm very familiar with that particular flute. ;)

And, I agree, someone's gonna be awfully happy with that flute. I'd feel pangs for it except that I'm nursing an arthritis flareup that has the index knuckle of my right hand about the size of a walnut. I suspect it's caused by my low flutes. :cry: I've started mousing with my left hand at work; hopefully that will help.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

chas wrote:Definitly cocobolo; I suspect I'm very familiar with that particular flute. ;)

And, I agree, someone's gonna be awfully happy with that flute. I'd feel pangs for it except that I'm nursing an arthritis flareup that has the index knuckle of my right hand about the size of a walnut. I suspect it's caused by my low flutes. :cry: I've started mousing with my left hand at work; hopefully that will help.
Hi Chas,

Sorry to hear about the arthritis. :(

I believe this is the one I got from you come to think of it. I'd actually lost track of it for awhile because I had a couple of other Schultzes and didn't see a point in listing them all at once. I took it out of a drawer a while back and opened the case and couldn't believe my eyes. The wood is just amazing. Great player too. I've been sorely tempted to keep it. But I am almost to the point of committing to flute monogamy (well bigamy anyway, errr...maybe low-scale polygamy... :lol: ).

This is sort of starting to smack of a commercial post to me so go ahead and count this as my CP for the month moderators. :)

Doc

Doc's Website

chas

Post by chas »

You shoulda seen it when it was new. I'm sorry I didn't take pics of it then. It's still beautiful under bright light (which I don't get much of, being in a heavily shaded house and skimping on electricity), but when it was new it was just all flames. I'd be hard pressed to decide whether that or the Hammy was prettier. Both wonderful players when I was having good days.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.