Converting the Philistines

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jim stone wrote:'It's an Irish flute. If you went to a symphony orchestra
around 1840, flutes looked something like this.
It's made of African blackwood, like an oboe
or a clarinet. When these were replaced by the
modern silver flute, they went into pawn shops
and Irish musicians bought em.

This flute was made recently, but it's a model
of one of the old flutes.'

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......
I've said the same thing almost word-for-word. I kid you not. Of course, it's only for those who seeme truly interested. It takes a lot of time to recite, and my pint's looking at me.

I also say, "...a reproduction tuneable concert pitch eight-key post-classical pre-Boehm simple-sytem conical bore African blackwood Ruddall/Rose-inspired design transverse FLUTE." That usually sets 'em reeling.
Chiffed wrote:I just tell 'em I put my bassoon in the wash, and it shrank. They laugh, but they don't know why.
I once told a very curious little girl - a Boehm player, herself - that I killed an oboe to make it. Her eyes widened for a bit, and then she got the joke.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

This all seems too familiar, like when I'm at the checkout counter of a grocery store. A young lass works the cash. She asks, what's this? A squash. What's this? Bok choy. And this? Star fruit. Oh.

Meat and potatoes anyone?
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Doc, everybody knows clarinets are black. Next time take a boxwood flute. Then they'll just ask what that "flute thing" is that you're playing.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Denny

Post by Denny »

TheSpoonMan wrote:Sideblown reed instruments? Hoy!

http://www.asza.com/iala.shtml
we ain't doin' no sucky flutes... :twisted:
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Denny wrote:

we ain't doin' no sucky flutes... :twisted:
Yaaa....we guts enuf sucky ones awready ! :x
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Nanohedron wrote:Me: Yes, it's really a flute. This is how they were made just before the modern one was invented.

He: I find that hard to believe. Look, it's set up just like a saxophone or clarinet.

Me: Close, and very perceptive of you. It's what's called "simple system" configuration in the flute world. Old-style, you see.

He: No, that can't be a flute. *walks away*

(This conversation actually happened a few weeks ago)
It reminds me a conversation that happened to me:

Me: yes, it's really a saxophone, a soprano saxophone.

He: no it's not curved, it must be a clarinet

Me: the two instruments are very close to each other, but a clarinet has a cylindrical bore and a sax a conical one, and the key systems are quite different. And some soprano saxes are actually curved, bass clarinets are curved, too.

He: no, that can't be a sax. *walks away*

Well, it was close to that ;)
C age ing

Post by C age ing »

http://www.asza.com/ibawu.shtml
Putting on pedant's hat, they aint free reeds. :moreevil:
In a free reed instrument, the reed itself produces a note of fixed pitch.
They are beating reed instruments, where the reed beats against a column of air which is of variable length and thus pitch by varying fingerings. Hmm. No symbol for smug basmati.
Removes pedant's hat, looks at melodeon, shrugs and wonders whether to play shrunk oboe or sideblown saxophone as it is made of metal. :P
Played banjo as it only had five strings, so how the hell am I going to cope with six holes?
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

Anyone ever see that clown, Andre Rieu, on PBS? He's a classical violinist who hosts these really elaborate, cheesy concerts. Cool thing , though, is that right behind him sit two people playing simple system flutes. He is German, and the concert a watched was in Germany, after all.

:)
Ramin

Post by Ramin »

This reminds me of when I saw "Heaven Can Wait" as a youth. I couldn't get over him playing a Golden Clarinet.
KateG

Post by KateG »

Harpmaker wrote:

"If you really want to have fun and mess with their minds, or enjoy the "What is that?" type of question, take a mountain dulcimer along with..."

Been there, done that. Playing mt. dulcimer in public is guaranteed to stop traffic. 98% of folks haven't a clue what it is, and then there's the 2% who have one in there closet, have never bothered to learn how to play it but want to tell you all about it.

Play your flute with a mt. dulcimer in your lap and you'll never lack for attention of one sort or another.
cathal morley

Rieu redux

Post by cathal morley »

Don't mean to be the penultimate pedant, Il Friscaletto, but Andre Rieu is Dutch, not German. Not sure how this affects his flute-life (or anyone else's) but the old boy an sure play a mean fiddle!
withak

Post by withak »

My mandolin has been accused of being a banjo before. I also had some guy on the street ask me if it was "like a bass".

Me: "No, not really."
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Il Friscaletto wrote:Anyone ever see that clown, Andre Rieu, on PBS? He's a classical violinist who hosts these really elaborate, cheesy concerts. Cool thing , though, is that right behind him sit two people playing simple system flutes. He is German, and the concert a watched was in Germany, after all.

:)
I like to watch the musical productions of Andre Rieu. I have seen the flautists playing the wooden flutes, but I assumed that they were playing modern, Boehm-style blackwood flutes. If you look closely, you can see these being played in orchestras in the USA, as well.
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

Hey Matt_Paris - Have you had your soprano refered to as you "Kenny G" saxophone?

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2 Blessed 2B Stressed