I Lost my Pets on New Years Day

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

I Lost my Pets on New Years Day

Post by dfernandez77 »

I was sleeping in and busy all day, and didn't go on the patio. I finally went out on the patio after dark and immediately noticed my pond was a disaster.

It looks like this (and I cleaned it up a little already):

It is supposed to look something like this:

I ran into the house and grabbed a flashlight. I took the broken plants out of the water. I searched every hiding space - all my fish are gone. I was stunned. I was out on the patio late New Year's Eve with a glass of Port, chatting with a friend. People were on the patio admiring the pond and the goldfish.

I've had the small pond several years, and the original three fish over two years. Needless to say, I'm terribly disappointed and sad.

We never see any predators around here. But there's a creek nearby - and I've been told that an occasional raccoon is spotted hanging around the creek. I guess a raccoon wandered by early this morning and did what they do naturally. I can't really blame the predator - but I do feel bad for my fish.

Here's a pic of my original three fish, plus a new fish (named Donald Trump) at the bottom left - from April of 2006.

A couple more from April of 2006

One from June of 2006

The last pics I took were in November.

The last pic is of Donald Trump - he was my favorite.

I'm going to miss the little guys.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I'm sorry, man. That's quite a loss.
Reasonable person
Walden
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

:cry: Bad turn. Sorry for your loss. May the stress of it lessen quickly and your heart repair well.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Thanks guys.

In perspective:
1. They were just pet fish - people lose things and beings far more precious;
2. They were friendly little critters with personalities of their own.

Kinda silly to be sad about it - but hey! that's the way it is.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Not silly at all. Sorry to hear about the missing fish.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Raccoons are likely to do such a thing, once they discover it.
Sorry. We're fond of our fish too.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Too bad about the fish and pond. You obviously put a lot of work and caring into that.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I'm sorry for your loss. That hurts.

M
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

Daniel, so sorry to hear about your fish. It's not silly at all to be fond of them and to miss them.

Raccoons are incredibly fond of water dwellers--in summer when my creek dries up to several small pools they leave their handprints in the mud while grabbing every small fish and frog and crawdad that is there. Note that they will aslo go after other pets--I have a 'net buddy in the middle of L.A. who recently rescued a 6 week old kitten from the huge 'coon that was crossing the yard with it...poor thing was too badly injured to make it but Jen took solace in the fact that it passed with a bit of warm milk in it and a gentle hand stroking it.
Another friend here in KY lost rabbits on a screened in porch to something that got thru' the screens...a ringtail is the suspect there, too.

WARNING: Racoons are cute and funny and are seen on TV occasionally as interesting pets, so a lot of people seem to think they are harmless. BUT remember that they are kin to both the bloodthirsty weasel and the wolverine (the Canadian Loupe-garrou[werewolf]), and can be very dangerous! Do NOT mess with them, or get close to one. They are incredible climbers...imagine one cornered in a garage deciding to go on the offensive--you're easier to climb than a tree and they can be up at your face/throat level from 10' away in 3 seconds or better. They are also known to have rather loose skin--grab one by the scruff and he can still turn around and start tearing up your arm. One famous trick while being chased by a dog is to cross a large pond--then when the dog is in deep water, swim back to it and climb on it's head to drown it. They have hands with opposable thumbs and can really hang on. People going in to save a dog are likewise at risk.

I know most of you guys probably wouldn't mess with a wild animal of any kind, but a few of you might not realize the danger---and most of you have kids, grandkids or nieces or nephews that ought to be taught.
missy

Post by missy »

another caution when considering raccoons - they carry a lot of parasites, especially giardia. I found that out the hard way. We had raccoons get in the garbage, and I cleaned up the mess and evidently did NOT wash my hands well enough. About a month later, after thinking and being treated for a stomach virus, I wound up in the emergency room on IVs for dehydration, etc. - and happened to get a good doctor that asked the right questions.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
djm

Post by djm »

Racoons are a big concern here, as they smuggle themselves on US freight trucks and escape up here carrying new strains of rabbies that we haven't had to deal with before. They are easily shot, but make for poor cooking.

I don't know why, Daniel, but in reading your story the term "fish in a barrel" keeps coming to mind. :D

djm
Last edited by djm on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

CountryKitty wrote: WARNING: Racoons are cute and funny and are seen on TV occasionally

:D
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Sorry the hear about that, and I share your pain. We have an outdoor pond, (about 10' X 6' X 18"), and have had fish out there for years. We stopped buying the fancy koi and now buy only ten-for-a-buck "feeder" fish to stock it with.
The reason? There's a blue heron in our town that knows where all the ponds are, and stops by regularly for the "seafood buffet". We've nearly thrown in the towel, but really do enjoy having fish in the pond. Anyone have plans for a "scareheron" we could build? :lol: :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

Crooked, I was once told that herons are territorial and that a fake one near a pond will deter others. Mind you, the brass ones in catalogs are pretty expensive--$80-$90 last I looked. I don't know if a plywood cutout painted up would work but you might try it....
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Weasels and wolverines are mustelids...same family as ferrets.

Racoons are a bit different breed.

Still, your cautions do apply: racoons are quite dangerous.

Back to the original post, I am sorry about your fish. The loss of a pet is a very real loss and can be felt quite deeply.

We are about to have one of our ferrets operated on for adrenal cancer and we are getting apprehensive as the day draws closer.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard