"Make Your Own Tipple Flute" Success Story

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
addtheninth

"Make Your Own Tipple Flute" Success Story

Post by addtheninth »

First off, I'd like to say Hi to the community. I've been reading these forums for awhile now, and haven't taken the time to actually post anything.

A little history on myself. Back when I went to middleschool (about 12 years ago) I was in our school's orchestra band. I had a strong desire to play a wind instrument, and the sound of a flute (particularly the piccolo, which I had heard on many occasions at my city's annual 4th of July concert playing "The Star Spangled Banner") had always amazed me. Unfortunately at the time, my band teacher was a bit of a... :swear: ...and made it a point to make fun of any male that wanted to play a flute or clarinet (queerinet as he called them). Regardless of his negativity, and due to the sheer fact that he made fun of people who played the clarinet less than those who played the flute (regardless of what he called it), I decided to play the clarinet, despite the consequences. I went on to place first in state all three years of middle school, before moving on to high school, where I abandoned my love for wind instruments and went full on into guitars.

After many many years of still wanting to play a flute, but always having that nagging band teacher's voice in the back of my head telling me that "only girls play the flute," I finally (a few weeks ago) caved in and purchased a penny whistle. I was really amazed at how quickly I was able to pick it up and play, and immediately fell in love with the sound of Irish music. After doing a lot of research (and listening to about 2 million + sound clips) I decided I wanted to play the irish flute, as the fingering is the same as the penny whistle, and was closer to an actual flute. I've always been very cautious about purchasing instruments (especially over Ebay) and after reading the many warnings on these forums about not purchasing any suspicious flutes online, I eventually found my way to Doug Tipple's website (http://dougsflutes.googlepages.com/). I was really amazed listening to the gorgeous intonations of the flute from the sound clips on Doug's website, and intently read his article on how to create your own PVC Flute.

Being a craft-oriented person, I went yesterday to Lowe's Home Furnishings (a hardware store here in Florida, I'm not sure about the rest of the world) and picked up 20 feet of 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC pipe for $4.00. The gentleman that ran the plumbing area was kind enough to courtesy cut the pipes for me (though by no means was the cut perfect or even in the center of the pipe...). From Lowe's I went to my local "questionable foreign imports" store in the local mall, and purchased a pack of drill bits (with the three required sizes) for $4.00, a frightening, "Taking your life into your own hands" drill for $15.00, and a hacksaw for $1.00. I already had sand paper and some needle files at home (from a long obsession with the Warhammer Miniatures game...).

After arriving back home, I set up my work area and within about an hour and a half I had measured, cut, drilled, and filed my first home made flute. I was surprised as after about 5 minutes I was able to hit the high D on the flute, and after about 30 minutes I was able to hold a moderately steady low D (though god help me it takes me awhile to find it). The flute is in near perfect pitch (I'll have to widen the B and A holes to sharpen them just a whee bit) but I'm noticing more and more how much more control I have over pitch with the flute then I had with the penny whistle.

I'm proud to say that I'm now on my way to learning the flute just like I've always wanted to, and wanted to give a word of encouragement to any other would be flute players out there that may be sitting on the fence about picking up this beautiful instrument. With none of the materials immediately at hand, you can purchase everything you need to make your own flute for about $30.00. If you already have a drill, bits and files at home (not horribly uncommon if you've ever done any work around your house) the cost drops dramatically to just the cost of the pvc pipe (about $2.36, which is enough to make you around 4 flutes).

There's just something so satisfying about making your own instrument and then learning to play it. I'd highly recommend it to anyone out there, even experienced players. It's really hard to describe in words the feeling you get when you hit that first note, and feel the flute vibrate slightly in your hands. It's honestly one of the greatest things I've ever experienced.

I've now dedicated myself to one hour of flute playing practice and one hour (time permitting) of flute crafting practice a day. My next goal from a crafting perspective is to make custom finger placements (only a matter of shifting them around the pipe) and turning the pipe into a two or three piece instrument.

If anyone has any insight on the above two goals, I'd love to hear it (Doug, if you're out there :D )

I'd like to make a special thanks to Doug Tipple for making this information public knowledge on his website.

As a side note, I'd actually like to put together a step-by-step picture collage of creating a Tipple flute (with Doug's permission) that I could post on these forums if anyone's interested. I'm a graphic designer/programmer, so I have all the equipment/software necessary to put it together (...camera...photoshop). I know a lot of people are visual learners, so it's always helpful to actually be able to see the process as you're doing it.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Last edited by addtheninth on Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fyffer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fyffer »

Merrry Christmas! And that's an awesome testimonial!
I bought one of Doug's flutes, and they are great.
I would like to make my own as well, but I haven't the workshop (though I do have most of the tools). I've got two weeks off from work (Yay me!), during which I expect to squeeze as much self-indulgence into my life as humanly possible. This indulgence could very nicely include some flute-making. Thanks for the inpiration, and I expect we'll hear from the man, the master himself -- the great and powerful PVC-Flute Man!!
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: "Make Your Own Tipple Flute" Success Story

Post by Doug_Tipple »

addtheninth wrote: As a side note, I'd actually like to put together a step-by-step picture collage of creating a Tipple whistle (with Doug's permission) that I could post on these forums if anyone's interested. I'm a graphic designer/programmer, so I have all the equipment/software necessary to put it together (...camera...photoshop). I know a lot of people are visual learners, so it's always helpful to actually be able to see the process as you're doing it.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Thank you for your enthusiastic post and welcome to the C & F flute forum. Yes, I think that many would be interested in your step-by-step photo collage of creating a pvc flute or whistle. I recommend hosting the photos on a free photo-hosting service and then giving the link to that site here at C & F.

With regard to your question about constructing a flute with joints, that will take more tools than making a simple one-piece flute. To make the long socket in the flute body for the tuning joint, I use a Craftsman 9" drill press with a table and table vise rotated 90 degrees. I cut my boring tools from a spade bit using a bench grinder. You will need to fashion a pilot to guide the tool, as well.

A machine lathe is needed to turn the male tenon joint. I use an inexpensive ($450) machine mini-lathe. I have a photo of the lathe setup for this process at the homepage of my website. Click on the photo to enlarge the photo. Don't ask me why, but you will find that you will need to change the position of the finger holes on a three-piece flute. To find the position of the finger holes, trial-and-error is the method that I used.

I traded the artwork for the PVC fluteman drawing for a flute. Rob in London, England was the artist. Jim Stone has previously commented on this forum that he thought that the drawing is obscene (I think that was the word he used), but I think that he is being a little too Freudian. I like the photo.
Last edited by Doug_Tipple on Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
addtheninth

Post by addtheninth »

Thanks for the reply Doug :D

A lathe is a bit out of my league at the moment (both space wise and finance wise), but I'll definitly have to look into one in the future.

As for the photo-based step by step, I'll get started on that this evening (my camera's charging at this very moment, and I'm working on trying to arrange decent lighting in my house)

Fyffer: Glad to hear you may give it a try :) Like I said, it's very worthwhile.

As for the lack of a workshop, I used an extra desk in my guest bedroom and left my windows open to help clear the dust (my wife is a very forgiving person...), so my total working area is about 3' by 3'. With a cheap drill press (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none), I could probably squish this down even more, though it'd get a might bit uncomfortable. My only real concern that I could see would be living in a small apartment, and not because of space restrictions, but because of neighbors.
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I just have to say, Doug you're a class act. A very generous guy.

You make a terrific instrument at a great price, You give away your measurements. And when someone asks, you give free tips to improve their Tipple Ditto-ing.

I'm sure it would be a far stretch for someone to make a Tipple with the finish, precision, and polish of one made by you. But the fact that you enthusiastically contribute to the success of a do-it-yourself person just further proves your "good guy" standing.

Well done sir,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
addtheninth

Post by addtheninth »

I'd like to clarify that by no means does a home made, self put together flute come anywhere near the quality of instrument that Doug makes available from his website.

As I said, I'm a hobbyist, and definitly a "do-it-yourself"er. As anyone else who has given any type of craft any serious thought knows, crafting any item is an investment, and you usually end up losing money in the long run. If you're trying to decide between spending $30.00 and trying to make a flute from home or purchasing one of Doug's fantastic instruments, by all means, go the slight extra mile and purchase a Tipple. You will not be dissappointed, and will save the many hours of making and remaking the instrument until it's been perfected.

For comparisons sake, you can spend 10+ hours and let's say $20.00 trying to make a perfect home made one-piece flute, or you can spend those ten hours working at a minimum wage job (what is it now? $6.00 and some change?) and the $20.00 (for a total of at least $80.00) on purchasing the most expensive three-piece flute listed on Doug's main page (without the extras). Trust me, the time I've invested into making my own flutes so far is pretty large, especially when you factor in research and development, so placing the time at 10 hours is a pretty massive understatement :D

Don't undertake making your own flute as a means of saving some (permanent) money on purchasing a flute. Make your own flute because:

a.) You're curious about the instrument, already have most of the supplies, and don't mind investing $2.00 on some pvc and a bit of extra time to make an instrument to try it out, knowing full and well that, if you like the flute, you'll likely be investing the money on a Tipple at a later time.

b.) You're a hobbyist that has a passion for creating things with your own two hands, and can truly appreciate the art, beauty and science of constructing something from scratch.

c.) You're an established flute player and want to try making your chosen instrument from scratch

There are by all means more reasons to make the instrument then those above, but those are what came to mind immediately and were able to penetrate the fairly heavy buzz of Christmas booze currently coursing through my system :lol:

The bottom line is, a home made flute is no replacement for a Tipple made instrument, but it sure is a fun thing to do if you're a slight bit on the masochistic/adventuristic side :D
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Jim Stone has previously commented on this forum that he thought that the drawing is obscene (I think that was the word he used), but I think that he is being a little too Freudian. I like the photo.
Although I didn't think the drawing obscene, I did think it resembled a rather strange-looking grasshopper! :party:

M
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:
Doug_Tipple wrote:
Jim Stone has previously commented on this forum that he thought that the drawing is obscene (I think that was the word he used), but I think that he is being a little too Freudian. I like the photo.
Although I didn't think the drawing obscene, I did think it resembled a rather strange-looking grasshopper! :party:

M
Hey, I only said I thought it's obscene, not that I didn't like it!
I'm a weirdo, remember.
azw

Post by azw »

"Obscene" usually means repugnantly indecent, shocking, revolting, and the like.

Jim likes the drawing, so he's obviously not a Puritan crusader who's offended by the thought that grasshoppers have sex. I think he used the word tongue-in-cheek to mean that the image is "devilishly entertaining." Heck, he's probably even got a collection of grasshopper nature videos! :D
bigpow5

Post by bigpow5 »

doug is an 'open source' instrument maker!

IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

addtheninth wrote:I decided I wanted to play the irish flute, .... and was closer to an actual flute.
About your school teacher: :swear: :swear: :swear:

I am not exactly what you mean by "closer" when referring to a six holed flute. Your research should have born out that this flute was actually the standard and the precursor to the silver flute!!!!!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
bdh
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Post by bdh »

dfernandez77 wrote:I just have to say, Doug you're a class act. A very generous guy.
Seconded. :D
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
yillbrillem

Post by yillbrillem »

addtheninth wrote:Unfortunately at the time, my band teacher was a bit of a... :swear: ...and made it a point to make fun of any male that wanted to play a flute or clarinet (queerinet as he called them).
Jezz! this guy was in charge of teaching earnest and impressionable young kids to play music? What about Benny Goodman? (or even Woody Allen, a manly clarinetist if there ever was one! :D ) I played sax in high school, and was similarly drawn to the flute as a kid, but was also afraid of being viewed as a sissy (all girls in the flute section !!!, what was I thinking?). As a Jethro Tull fan way back when, Ian Anderson finally gave me the incentive to give it a try my last year of high school summer band camp, then promptly gave it up for several years until discovering Irish music.

Doug, I just visited your site again to check out your guide to making a PVC flute. Great info! ... and very sweet of you to share your hard earned knowledge. (don't worry, I won't go after your job! I'm more into the bamboo.) I posted a bit on how to make a bamboo flute on this site a couple of years ago... http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?p=182809#182809 ...but didn't go nearly into the detail you do. Great job Doug, I think everyone that enjoys playing music should try their hand at making one or two instruments... even if its a cigar box guitar like this! http://www.cigarboxguitars.com/workshop ... _A_CBG.php

carry on! Billy
Chinese proverb: “If thy neighbour offends thee, give his children gifts of drums.”

www.windwoodflutes.com
addtheninth

Post by addtheninth »

Hey Billy, thanks for the link to that Cigar Box Guitar walk through! Very nice :) I've played the guitar for years, but not ever made one. I've got a ton of cigar boxes lying around (used to store miniatures in them) so I may have to give that a try...

A quick update on the picture based walkthrough. I finished the full write up/website last week, and have gone into excrutiating detail on it (I believe the print size is around 18-ish pages, preformatted using CSS). However, I also just got a huge contract signed for creating a company's website late last week, so for the next week and half or so I'll not be able to make any flutes (and thus, not be able to take pictures). I'll definitly try my best to get everything together soon, and will hopefully have it together by the end of the month. I'll post here and link to it once it's all finished :)
addtheninth

Post by addtheninth »

IDAwHOa wrote:
addtheninth wrote:I decided I wanted to play the irish flute, .... and was closer to an actual flute.
About your school teacher: :swear: :swear: :swear:

I am not exactly what you mean by "closer" when referring to a six holed flute. Your research should have born out that this flute was actually the standard and the precursor to the silver flute!!!!!
I meant "closer" as in closer to a concert flute (my original love interest) than a clarinet was :) I knew that the irish flute was older, but I wasn't very clear there :sniffle: Sorry for the confusion :lol: