Why did you start playing pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Why did you start playing the pipes?

Riverdance made me do it
10%
Braveheart got me bent outta shape and I just had to
2%
Paddy Moloney is oh so sexy and I wanna be like him
14%
They speak to my soul and enable me to express myself in a most unusual way
35%
I ask myself that question every single day
33%
Two words...free pints!
6%

Total votes: 51

Pat Cannady
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

It was a combination of hearing Tommy Keane on an old Pogues record ca. 1992, listening to the Chieftains, finding out more about the instrument in Francis O'Neill's Irish Minstrels and Musicians 1992-1993, and discovering Planxty, and the Bothy Band shortly thereafter ca 1994.

While I never tired of watching Jean Butler prance around in a very short-hemmed dress, I thought Riverdance's music extremely boring.
oliver
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by oliver »

Pat Cannady wrote: While I never tired of watching Jean Butler prance around in a very short-hemmed dress, I thought Riverdance's music extremely boring.
A bit off topic, sorry, but I really agree (even worse, have you seen "Dance of desire" ??!!)
SEAGULL
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not a robot. I am person with dreams and aspirations. I actually hate robots. I do not trust them. Help computer

Post by SEAGULL »

I would have to say that it was Paddy Keenans version of Jim Wards.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Masochism cannot be ruled out.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Quite right. Something about those leather belts and straps...

I took up highland pipes when I was 16 and my teacher would occasionally bring in tapes of Paddy Keenan and Liam O'Flynn because he felt it important to expose me to what he called "the other side of the piping tradition." Shockingly, it didn't knock me out much at the time. Then it slowly started to grow on me; by the time I saw Paddy in the flesh at 18, I was hooked.

I never actually intended to take up uilleann pipes, though. I quite enjoyed playing highland pipes and scottish smallpipes and didn't want to spread myself too thin and wind up a jack of all trades. I decided to take up the flute instead because I thought it would be easier (ha!). Then when I was 22 and living in Dingle, Cillian Ó Bríain just happened to have a spare practice set for sale in his workshop. Casting my reputation of frugality and financial responsibility to the wind, I whipped out my credit card and snapped them up...And then figured I might as well learn how to play them...

For what it's worth, when Riverdance came out when I was about 16 or so, I enjoyed a lot of the music for it. I remember thinking that "Reel Around The Sun" or whatever it was called must have been one of the coolest tunes ever...Nope. Wrong there. Had some Davy Spillane albums, too...My God, they did not age well...Over the years, I've become more and more jaded by attempts by people to make trad music (& uilleann pipes in particular) sound hip and accessible. Not that I'm saying it shouldn't or couldn't be done, but couldn't somebody manage to do it with a bit of taste? When Davy Spillane had Stevie Winwood guest on one of his albums, I was suddenly possessed by an uncontrollable urge to eat my own liver...
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:Quite right. Something about those leather belts and straps...
Quiet Riot? Image

Pat.
gregorygraham

Post by gregorygraham »

Over the years, I've become more and more jaded by attempts by people to make trad music (& uilleann pipes in particular) sound hip and accessible. Not that I'm saying it shouldn't or couldn't be done, but couldn't somebody manage to do it with a bit of taste?
Have you heard Eoin Dillon's new solo album? I recommend it.

Back on topic - what got me hooked?

First contact was hearing a Chieftains' album circa 1975 or 76. I was impressed and intrigued, but not yet addicted. Then, my mother went shopping with her friend from Belfast and came back with "Out of the Wind, Into the Sun" by the Bothies. Track 1, Side A was that first shot of heroin. That was 1976 or so, whatever year the album came out. Then I saw Joe McKenna live at a folk festival circa 1978. It took me until 2000 to get a practice set. Only 22 years to get started!
Gregory Graham
Toronto
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

Yup, it all started with Paddy Maloney and that dang Chieftans 7 album. :swear:

And then Pat Hutchinson's slow air "Cé Hé Mise Le Ulaihgt?" (Who Am I To Bear It?) put the final nails in the coffin. I was hooked.
Leaks

Post by Leaks »

The price of them!

I thought it would be cheeper than golf with a one time up front fee. Not how it turned out!

I would have to say Planxty & the Chieftains.

Pipes!
Gaby
CrackPiper

Post by CrackPiper »

I grew up playing the GHB. Then I moved to NYC and all the pipe bands are either Fire Dept or Police Dept, and I'm neither. Plus GHBs aren't exactly the kind of things you want to practice in a 220 sq foot apt. So I moped around for a few years and then finally decided to get a set of pipes that were (a bit) quieter. I was going to get a set of SSPs, but the lure of that second octave was too much to bear.

...didn't realize it was going to be so f'n tough, but I'm glad I made the switch.

mq
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

A 'Bride-2B'customer who wanted a particular song at her wedding.
Bought me a 1/2 pakistani set, learned the tune, + got hooked.
I'd known + loved em for years + years; it was always one of those things I never thought I'd be doing..., the rest, as they say, is all cake... :wink:
(FYI I gotta full Gallagher concert set now) :D
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Re: Sorry Lads..

Post by rgouette »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
rgouette wrote:...

Still lovin the big synth swells too..
:)
I got a cure for that. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
o man, don't make me come down there!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

rgouette wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
rgouette wrote:...

Still lovin the big synth swells too..
:)
I got a cure for that. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
o man, don't make me come down there!
If you do, you're cleaning it up!!! :really:
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

If you do, you're cleaning it up!!! :really:[/quote]

oh yeah?
I've got Italian friends!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Leaks wrote:
I thought it would be cheeper than golf with a one time up front fee.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had to let my golfing addiction slide (one helluva lot) to keep my Uilleann fix up to date. :D