Bow Triplets...

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Welcome to the boards Bow T's... I am sorry your arrival here had to be under such scrutiny.

To those of you grumblers, criticism is welcome, but so is a little kindness... is it at all possible to combine the two? Eh?

Besides, both piping forums have already claimed surliness... :D
Alan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Wanderer wrote:Then again, most of the stuff on my site is at least a couple of years old, and I get nervous recording anyway, so I tend to cringe long before 10 years goes by. ;)
Nervousness has always been my bane when it comes to recording so I am in cringe mode even before the first playback! :lol:
Alan
bowtriplets
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bowtriplets »

Thank you Joseph. I'm sure all the grumblers in this forum are brilliant and talented musicians who can tell by years of experience in excellence that they have the competence to judge what is allowed in Celtic folk music and what is not.
So..I feel humble and fortunate not to have been banned from the forum straight away :D
Am flying to Sweden tomorrow for a hopefully great night and look forward to seeing what more is in store for me here when I get back in two days(am already thinking of selling my instruments and spending the rest of my days doing something else :P )
Cheers
Beagan agus a ra go maith
(say little but say it well)
Denny

Post by Denny »

Wanderer wrote:
Denny wrote:Personally I'm tryin' to get to a point where I dislike my current stuff enough less that I can stand listenin' to me practice.

Wandererer: nice job with "alwyas" :twisted:
Heh, you should see how many revisions my posts go through from the time I first post them to the time when I'm done editing them over and over and over again ;)
:lol: ...and running a compile for the cross reference... :lol:

waifs & stays
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Welcome to the boards Bow T's... I am sorry your arrival here had to be under such scrutiny.

To those of you grumblers, criticism is welcome, but so is a little kindness... is it at all possible to combine the two? Eh?
Yes. One wonders some days, doesn't one. There would always be the option of not posting at all.
Joseph E. Smith wrote:Besides, both piping forums have already claimed surliness... :D
Well, look. What did you expect? The non-UP forum is already awash in silicone tubing, plastic funnels and water canisters, pleather upholstery fabric, and hookahs. :lol:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:There would always be the option of not posting at all.
ImageImageImage
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:There would always be the option of not posting at all.
ImageImageImage
:wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Denny wrote: :lol: ...and running a compile for the cross reference... :lol:

waifs & stays
I do all the xref in my head ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BoneQuint »

Wanderer wrote:I imagine that the nature of putting anything in a tangible medium means that you'll alwyas look back and cringe after a period of time.
guest wrote:Well, if I'm still alive in 10 years I'm probably going to dislike my current stuff.
I was thinking more as a thought exercise, really...what would the me 10 years in the future say to the me now? What would he encourage and still like? What would he try to get me to hear that I'm not hearing now? Or maybe he'd find a looseness and abandon that he's lost a bit. Would he want me to worry about the occasional squawk or wrong note in a recording? Or would he want me to focus on something more intangible?
alurker

Re: rounding off

Post by alurker »

guest wrote:Have you ever sung Brendan's and Paul's Hurling song? :wink:
The brother had the whole thing off by heart and would launch into it at the drop of a hat.
Who could forget lyrics like: "So what's the story Martin Storey?"

For the benefit all those who are interested (and the rest of ye who aren't but should be), a song called "Dancing at the Crossroads" co-written by Brendan Wade in a homage to the Wexford hurling team went to No. 1 in the Irish charts in September 1996, just in time for Wexford's first All-Ireland championship win in 28 years.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Any chance of "guest" either being a proper member of the board or buggering off? Either will do me. "Guest" is not good. :boggle:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

BoneQuint wrote:
Wanderer wrote:I imagine that the nature of putting anything in a tangible medium means that you'll alwyas look back and cringe after a period of time.
guest wrote:Well, if I'm still alive in 10 years I'm probably going to dislike my current stuff.
I was thinking more as a thought exercise, really...what would the me 10 years in the future say to the me now? What would he encourage and still like? What would he try to get me to hear that I'm not hearing now? Or maybe he'd find a looseness and abandon that he's lost a bit. Would he want me to worry about the occasional squawk or wrong note in a recording? Or would he want me to focus on something more intangible?
Now that I can relate to. It seems a good way to weigh things.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
alurker

Post by alurker »

And another thing.........

[rant]The Bow Triplets appear to focus on playing music from the 'Celtic' genre which has a really big following in the European festival scene. Although it is not really 'my thing', at first listening they sound like they do what they do better than the vast majority of bands of that genre. It is somewhat unfair to critique if this genre is not really what you are into and it is unfair to hold the playing to the same standards as one would a traditional recording released for the ITM enthusiast. It should also be remembered that the topic of the music of the band was raised by a C&F board member who liked it, rather than by a band member trying to promote themselves.[/rant]

Note: the above rant applies only to bands with members from Wexford. Other bands are fair game.
alurker

Post by alurker »

SteveShaw wrote:Any chance of "guest" either being a proper member of the board or buggering off? Either will do me. "Guest" is not good. :boggle:
Our 'Guest' was responding to comments about their band.
Maybe they don't wanna be a C&F member.
Maybe they think that life is too short.
alurker

Post by alurker »

BoneQuint wrote:what would the me 10 years in the future say to the me now?
Maybe he'd say you used to think too much.....

:P