Why did you start playing pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Why did you start playing the pipes?

Riverdance made me do it
10%
Braveheart got me bent outta shape and I just had to
2%
Paddy Moloney is oh so sexy and I wanna be like him
14%
They speak to my soul and enable me to express myself in a most unusual way
35%
I ask myself that question every single day
33%
Two words...free pints!
6%

Total votes: 51

glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Why did you start playing pipes?

Post by glands »

Why?
Uilleann915
antispam: No

Post by Uilleann915 »

Not proud of the original inspiration really....but I went to Riverdance with my girlfriend and her parents (future wife/in-laws), and being a musician, focused on the music rather than the dance. I was already very proud of my Irish heritage....and in the middle of all this pomp and grandeur, was a lone man in the middle of the stage, playing this unbelievably moving instrument....I'm not even sure I knew it was a bagpipe, but I did notice the way he played it with his elbow....bought the soundtrack, saw "uilleann pipes" and researched them. Then I abandoned all hope when I saw the price and the difficulty. :) But here I am....I've jumped in the pool. :boggle:
"....if I had known then, what I know now...." e.v.
qwertymarka

Post by qwertymarka »

yeah... i'm also one of the riverdance made me do it... lament was really pretty. which kind of sucks cuz now, after having listened to more piping, i can't listen to it any more. all the synth swells and whatnot kinda make me cringe.
The spiderbaby... it's got the body of a spider, but the mind of a baby.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Being a dedicated fluter who didn't listen to piping CDs as much as flute, I'm not really sure, actually, except that one day I was presented the opportunity to get a pre-owned full C set (I was already partial to flat sets, especially C), bought it just to see how I'd like it, and became immediately hooked.

In spite of all.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

a momentary lapse of reason.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

oleorezinator wrote:a momentary lapse of reason.
Pink Floyd made you do it?! :o FREAKIN SWEET MAN!

They inspire me too! :thumbsup:
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

Heard the pipes I was 16 and had to play them but could find nobody who taught or even had a set. Took almost another 30 years before I got a set.

Hard reed + heavy work commitments + no help = no progress so they stayed in their case until a couple of years ago.

New reed + new career + lessons = :D
Simon
mayo_piper

Post by mayo_piper »

I answered the poll with...free pints....but actually it was a concert in New York with Bill Ochs playing the Fox Hunt...I was totally mesmorized. That planted the seed to play. As challanging as it can be at times - I find playing my Daye pipes soothing and relaxing after a hard day....and the free pints don't hurt either ! :D :D :D
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I heard Liam O'Flynn on Planxty; Paddy on Chieftains 1 and saw The Chieftains in 1975 (1976??) at UCLA. I sat in the second row and tried to figure out what the regs did. Hooked ever since.
Last edited by fel bautista on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Back in the early 80's, somebody gave me a tape of The Chieftains #7 and I knew then and there that was the instrument that had been reaching out to me from my dark and twisted dreams.

I had long been bewitched by the pipes, but after hearing the tape I knew exactly what the witch's name was. Also, a Minnesota piper named Tommykleen let me strap on his practice set and that was the final rusty hook that viciously penetrated deep into the tissue of my heart.

However, it took me over 20 years to finally obtain a chanter/bag and bellows of my own... and crappy ones at that... but I was able to get 'em going fairly well. Hopefully today will be the day my new set arrives... I am keeping my fingers crossed AND holding my breath! :shock:
oliver

Post by oliver »

I heard the sound of the pipes on an Emmylou Harris record about 16 years ago and loved it. So it was the sound really, 'cause I didn't know how the whole thing looked like. And a few years after got the opportunity to find a half set in Germany for a very very fair price and met good pipers (both French and Irish) soon afterwards who got me started. That's it...
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Sorry Lads..

Post by rgouette »

Sorry Lads..
Riverdance it was..
The lament couldn't be played on anything else.
Knew I had to get a set of these beasties & make music with em'

Still lovin the big synth swells too..
:)
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Sorry Lads..

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

rgouette wrote:...

Still lovin the big synth swells too..
:)
I got a cure for that. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
bwilson

Post by bwilson »

It's all Patrick D'Arcy's fault!

Well, kind of indirectly, anyway. Pat was playing with Ric Blair's band at my church one day and I was hooked....on the whistle, which Ric's wife, Yun, was playing. (Sorry, Pat.) I started listening to Irish music to learn tunes on the whistle and somewhere along the way I started paying more attention to the pipes. It was all downhill from there, of course.
mike spencer

Post by mike spencer »

i heard a recording of For ireland i will not tell her name and decided it was time to learn the ups.
mike spencer