Holiday Movie-Going

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

jkwest wrote:I've contemplated taking my family to the theaters this season. Nothing has jumped out at me that was worth seeing. I have lost much faith in the movie industry when I heard New Line dropped Peter Jackson from the Hobbit... :( :sniffle: :moreevil:

And I have heard that Happy Feet is just an animated " An Inconvenient Truth"....pass...
They Dropped Peter Jackson!?!?!??? Argh!

So.. have you actually seen "An Inconvenient Truth"?
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

An Inconvenient Truth is really lame. You would get more and better information from the Discovery Channel. The whole movie revolves around whatsisname, and if you don't think he's a rockstar already, then the stage show will probably leave you cold.

dj
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Here's another tip:

DREAMGIRLS

M
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

For something quirky, check out the DVD of Everything Is Illuminated.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

If you are a hopeless romantic, you most likely will enjoy "The Holiday". However, if you are not careful, you might be persuaded to ask the person you are with to marry you. If you are lucky and she says,"yes", then you will be occupied with plans for a wedding in the Spring and a honeymoon vacation in Europe. My advice is for you to "be prepared" if you see "The Holiday". review
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Doug_Tipple wrote:If you are a hopeless romantic, you most likely will enjoy "The Holiday". However, if you are not careful, you might be persuaded to ask the person you are with to marry you. If you are lucky and she says,"yes", then you will be occupied with plans for a wedding in the Spring and a honeymoon vacation in Europe. My advice is for you to "be prepared" if you see "The Holiday". review
Why, Mr. Tipple! Did this happen to someone you know? If so, tell them I wish them the best! :wink: :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

djm wrote:An Inconvenient Truth is really lame. You would get more and better information from the Discovery Channel. The whole movie revolves around whatsisname, and if you don't think he's a rockstar already, then the stage show will probably leave you cold.

dj
I would agree with 'lame' along 'entertainment' lines, but I did find it quite informative and compelling ... I rate the educational content of it very high even if the entertainment value falls pretty flat. So I would call it "a must see"... and suggest bringing in the neighbors ... but don't expect to be entertained. Oh, ... and see it soon!
anniemcu
---
---
---
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

"Night at the Museum" was very good. There were a couple roll-your-eyes 'comedy' scenes but there were some other extremely well done ones. Overall highly recommended.
carrie

Post by carrie »

djm wrote:An Inconvenient Truth is really lame. You would get more and better information from the Discovery Channel. The whole movie revolves around whatsisname, and if you don't think he's a rockstar already, then the stage show will probably leave you cold.
dj
Well, my niece worked on the film, and as it happens, Gore did not want anything personal about him in the film. The producers had to persuade him, and I think the personal stuff they added did very much help anchor the information. I didn't find it remotely lame--I don't think I would have even if my niece hadn't worked on it. I took my kids to see it (ages 13 and 17) and both wanted to see it again, and bring friends, which we did. I highly recommend it. I also think that press coverage of the warming has accelerated since the movie came out, and I appreciate that effect of the movie (if it is an effect). Gore's use of the "age of consequences" quote provided, I think, a much needed, readily understood summary of the urgency of the problem.

Carol

PS I went to Night at the Museum expecting to be disappointed and ended up having a few very good laughs.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

anniemcu wrote:[ Oh, ... and see it soon!

It's definitely on my 'to-do' list to float my new iceberg over there and see it.

I watched "Tea With Mussolini" on New Year's Eve. Waaay better than the Dick Clark show, (as much as I admire his tenacity).
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

cskinner wrote:
dj
Well, my niece worked on the film, and as it happens, Gore did not want anything personal about him in the film. The producers had to persuade him, and I think the personal stuff they added did very much help anchor the information. I didn't find it remotely lame--I don't think I would have even if my niece hadn't worked on it. I took my kids to see it (ages 13 and 17) and both wanted to see it again, and bring friends, which we did. I highly recommend it. I also think that press coverage of the warming has accelerated since the movie came out, and I appreciate that effect of the movie (if it is an effect). Gore's use of the "age of consequences" quote provided, I think, a much needed, readily understood summary of the urgency of the problem.

Carol

PS I went to Night at the Museum expecting to be disappointed and ended up having a few very good laughs.
Yes, it is a documentary, not a diversion.
anniemcu
---
---
---
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

crookedtune wrote:
anniemcu wrote:[ Oh, ... and see it soon!

It's definitely on my 'to-do' list to float my new iceberg over there and see it.

I watched "Tea With Mussolini" on New Year's Eve. Waaay better than the Dick Clark show, (as much as I admire his tenacity).
Was that the one with the ladys staying on holiday? It was very good.
anniemcu
---
---
---
djm

Post by djm »

emmline wrote:Yes, it is a documentary, not a diversion.
Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I did not expect this to be an entertainment. I simply found the information to be shallow and out-of-date. That is why I suggested the Discovery Channel. Also, check out Nova on the PBS stations. You will get a more thorough and more current presentation of facts.

I have nothing against Gore personally (except that he lost). As for the topic, you would have had to be living in a cave for the last ten years not to be aware of what is going on to our weather or in the media (and the bogus controversies raised by the oil conglomerates' media spin doctors).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Doug_Tipple wrote:If you are a hopeless romantic, you most likely will enjoy "The Holiday". However, if you are not careful, you might be persuaded to ask the person you are with to marry you. If you are lucky and she says,"yes", then you will be occupied with plans for a wedding in the Spring and a honeymoon vacation in Europe. My advice is for you to "be prepared" if you see "The Holiday". review
Doug!!!!

good on you! What a wonderful Day you must have had! Congratulations!

That was a nice romantic Holiday movie, and one I was very much in the mood for the day I saw it. I love Kate Winslet!

M
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

jsluder wrote:For something quirky, check out the DVD of Everything Is Illuminated.
Oh I saw that just last week on TV. It was really great and I've told lots of folks that it's one to definately see. Great movie that I'd certainly watch again.

We took my grandaughter to see Charlotte's Web over the holidays and all of us loved it.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West