Bow Triplets...

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I thought the clip sounded nice. Then again, I'm evidently not so ITM pure that I want to nit pick over the ways this clip doesn't 'qualify'. Probably why I don't post in this particular forum much.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:That sort of thing can happen around here.
I think many of us are just old and cranky... :twisted:

...might lean a bit more toward the kitchen table presentation than the stage band, eh.
Well, that's it, entirely. I happen to do both, so it's hard for me to exclude either. Each has its place. My heart is with the Pure Drop, but when it comes to stage bands, I have no problem with going for arrangement and texture, and the extent of that depends on the audience I'm trying to reach.

But that's me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

me too...

My comment (about the clip) was addressed to Peter.
Perhaps I assumed too much reguarding his tastes...
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Peter Laban wrote:
So... tell me, how do these guys rate with you? (I love it!, but I'm not ITM pure.
I rate it as pretty cheeky posting a clip you can only listen to after paying Image
You don't have to pay to listen, only to download. I wouldn't do that to anyone. Even you. :wink: I listened first, liked it and then bought it and downloaded it.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

guest wrote:Well, there are many Bow Triplets tracks that you might find even crappier so here is an offer:

Annie certainly has a free copy of our latest album coming to her if she sends me a private message with her postal address....
Well... I'll certainly gladly accept that offer.

Consider yourself 'welcomed' in the traditional way... Argument about what does and does not qualify as 'traditional' in this music is always ... um... er.... 'lively' here. :D

Whatever the thoughts, and I'm sure there will be more, this track inspired me to learn the first tune, and though I've heard it before, I never 'needed' to learn it before. Thanks for that!
:)
I look forward to the CD and to many further 'discussions' on the merits of different approaches to tradition.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
alurker

Post by alurker »

guest wrote: Man...it certainly seems to be easy to be misunderstood in this forum (do I sence a certain degree of aggression?)
What the hell do you mean by that??? :swear:

But seriously folks, any slight on Brendan Wade or any former member of Cry Before Dawn (who were quare good BTW) is a slight on all the good people of Wexford. This includes the Potts family who have moved to Dublin for a short sabbatical.

Let there be no more of this scurrilous talk or I'll be forced to get me hurley out after the lot of ye.

Oh and Guest: Welcome to our nice peaceful little forum. :wink:
bowtriplets
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

rounding off

Post by bowtriplets »

Hello again folks :)
...might lean a bit more toward the kitchen table presentation than the stage band, eh.
Well, I certainly adore kitchen table presentations (or musical get togethers), unfortunatelly it doesn't happen so much apart from when I'm in Ireland which is usually several times a year.

Thanks to everybody who showed that this forum is not only visited by people who are into fighting more than music :wink:

Annie and Wanderer, your free albums will be in the post today as promised. Hope you'll enjoy it.
Well Annie, if all Bow Triplets has achieved is motivating one person to learn a tune, it was worth it. :)

Let there be no more of this scurrilous talk or I'll be forced to get me hurley out after the lot of ye.
Alurker, nice to read ye, congratulations on all Wexford people for ther fantastic hurling, Cry Before Dawn and Wexford Carol :wink:
...and ofcourse all the rest that comes out of Wexford.
Have you ever sung Brendan's and Paul's Hurling song? :wink:
I rate it as pretty cheeky posting a clip you can only listen to after paying
Peter, just to round my contribution off, for what it's worth I have made the crappy tune available for free download on soundclick for a period of 24 hours. Who knows....maybe even you might download it :wink:

Athbhliain faoi mhaise dhuit!
(A prosperous new year to ye all)
Beagan agus a ra go maith
(say little but say it well)
BoneQuint

Re: Bow Triplets...

Post by BoneQuint »

anniemcu wrote:So... tell me, how do these guys rate with you?
I listened to quite a few samples. It sounds like you guys are having fun and playing music you enjoy. But much of it was difficult for me to listen to. The rhythms are quite rigid and angular, and the melody and backing don't seem to communicate much. Many tunes had an annoying way of kind of stopping at the end of a phrase and starting up again, the track Double Shuffle in Irish is a good example of this. There are some trills and the like that sound very out of place to me. Still, the more recent stuff seems a bit better.
bowtriplets

Post by bowtriplets »

Hi BoneQuint
The rhythms are quite rigid and angular, and the melody and backing don't seem to communicate much. Many tunes had an annoying way of kind of stopping at the end of a phrase and starting up again, the track Double Shuffle in Irish is a good example of this.
I agree with you whole heartedly. All the Irish Connection tracks I do not like at all anymore. However, they aren still available on Soundclick because it was our first CD, produced ten years ago and I feel that the documentation of how a band develops could be of value, besides...people still buy the downloads (beats me why :D )

Thanks for commenting.
You make nice looking bones and spoons by the way.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

guest wrote:Hi BoneQuint
The rhythms are quite rigid and angular, and the melody and backing don't seem to communicate much. Many tunes had an annoying way of kind of stopping at the end of a phrase and starting up again, the track Double Shuffle in Irish is a good example of this.
I agree with you whole heartedly. All the Irish Connection tracks I do not like at all anymore. However, they aren still available on Soundclick because it was our first CD, produced ten years ago and I feel that the documentation of how a band develops could be of value, besides...people still buy the downloads (beats me why :D )

Thanks for commenting.
You make nice looking bones and spoons by the way.
I've got some recordings on my website that are close to 10 years old, too...I know the feeling ;)
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

The question arises: what will you think of your current stuff in 10 years? :)
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

BoneQuint wrote:The question arises: what will you think of your current stuff in 10 years? :)
I imagine that the nature of putting anything in a tangible medium means that you'll alwyas look back and cringe after a period of time. Can't be helped. I think maybe only the very arrogant (or maybe the very discouraged) think to themsleves "I am the best I will ever be, and there is no getting better".

(of course, that doens't apply to someone with inherent physical limitations or something of that nature)

Then again, most of the stuff on my site is at least a couple of years old, and I get nervous recording anyway, so I tend to cringe long before 10 years goes by. ;)
Denny

Post by Denny »

Personally I'm tryin' to get to a point where I dislike my current stuff enough less that I can stand listenin' to me practice.

Wandererer: nice job with "alwyas" :twisted:
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Denny wrote:Personally I'm tryin' to get to a point where I dislike my current stuff enough less that I can stand listenin' to me practice.

Wandererer: nice job with "alwyas" :twisted:
Heh, you should see how many revisions my posts go through from the time I first post them to the time when I'm done editing them over and over and over again ;)
bowtriplets

In ten years?

Post by bowtriplets »

BoneQuint wrote:
The question arises: what will you think of your current stuff in 10 years

Well, if I'm still alive in 10 years I'm probably going to dislike my current stuff. However, hopefully I will have made peace with the fact that it was where I stood at the time. We all walk our roads and they take us to different places. My roads have been musical ones and I don't regret much in life I'm happy to say :)