Out of breath – more suitable whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bdh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Out of breath – more suitable whistles?

Post by bdh »

Hi all.

I love the sound of my Kerry Low D, but I run out of breath too quickly. Yes yes, I'm working on my breath control, but I'm interested to see if there are any whistles that require less breath that might be more suitable. I'm quite happy with my Howard Low D, especially the amount of air it needs, but it's a temperamental whistle (likes to surprise me by jumping up and down octaves or squawking when I do rolls up to the d) and needs a while to warm up and calm down.

So, can anyone recommend a Low D that might be better suited to me? Otherwise, any helpful suggestions about taming the Howard (or not turning blue playing the Kerry or Susato) would be much appreciated!

Maybe it would help if I stopped trying to play along with Mike McGoldrick? :lol:

Brett.
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I have a Hoover Whitecap and it has pretty high backpressure compared to my other whistles. Mine is for a soprano D, but I wonder if a whitecap for a low D might behave similarly.

I'm still pretty new and don't know anything about backpressure optimization ( :) ), especially regarding low whistles. But, it might be worth it to ask Mack if he can make what you want.

Jason
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Out of breath – more suitable whistles?

Post by anniemcu »

bdh wrote:Hi all.

I love the sound of my Kerry Low D, but I run out of breath too quickly. Yes yes, I'm working on my breath control, but I'm interested to see if there are any whistles that require less breath that might be more suitable. I'm quite happy with my Howard Low D, especially the amount of air it needs, but it's a temperamental whistle (likes to surprise me by jumping up and down octaves or squawking when I do rolls up to the d) and needs a while to warm up and calm down.

So, can anyone recommend a Low D that might be better suited to me? Otherwise, any helpful suggestions about taming the Howard (or not turning blue playing the Kerry or Susato) would be much appreciated!

Maybe it would help if I stopped trying to play along with Mike McGoldrick? :lol:

Brett.
(places two copper Lincolns on the table)
Both breath and squawking control will improve with patience and practice. Until you gain control of your breath, you are likely to find problems with any low D. It was almost a year before I could consistently get through tunes on mine (a Howard) without those embarrassing 'ostrich calls'. :lol: Practice your scales, over and over again, going as far up as you can, and get to the point where you can always hit the note cleanly, then practice the tunes you know until you reach that same point ... then you likely won't feel the need to find another low whistle. :)

edited to put back in one word I left out, that, actually, doesn't really make much difference at all, but it bugged me. :D
Last edited by anniemcu on Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

anniemcu wrote: ... then you likely won't feel the need to find another whistle. :)
ya went too far there... :wink:
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

annie's spot on in my opnion. I never have met an "easy" low D...they all require some work and competency to play well. The only solution to that is practice.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

ditto
bdh
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Post by bdh »

Thanks all. I'm practising daily and am steadily improving (well, no one laughed at my recordings... as far as I know! :lol:) so I'm confident I'll rein in the squawks and blips.

I guess what I'm really after is a survey of Low D whistles with high backpressure / low breath requirements. I know people have said that sort of thing in the forum about the MK – a comparison chart of all the major whistles would be fantastic!
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

bdh wrote:I guess what I'm really after is a survey of Low D whistles with high backpressure / low breath requirements. I know people have said that sort of thing in the forum about the MK – a comparison chart of all the major whistles would be fantastic!
I agree with those who say learn to play what you have. That said, the Overton low D is exactly what you describe above, and about 1/3 the price of the MK, and a far more proven instrument.

Loren
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Denny wrote:
anniemcu wrote: ... then you likely won't feel the need to find another whistle. :)
ya went too far there... :wink:
(Shhhh!.... that'll leave more for the rest of us!)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I play a Chieftain OS lowD and find it comfortable. You might want to try a Bleazey lowD if you find one, they are said to have low air requirements due to small holes. I have a hiD from Phil and it's great.

www.bleazey.co.uk
King Friday
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by King Friday »

Those Bleazey's are amazing if you can afford one.

(I have no idea what qualifies me to say that since I've never actaully played one. But they sure look and sound nice and I tend to judge books by their covers :) )
bdh

Post by bdh »

Loren wrote:That said, the Overton low D is exactly what you describe above, and about 1/3 the price of the MK, and a far more proven instrument.
It's not that much cheaper than an MK. The tunable Low Ds by MK, Chieftain, Overton, Burke, and Reviol are all pretty much around the same price range ($300-$400 AUD).

What about the new aluminium Dixon? I love my Dixon trad. :party:
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

bdh wrote:I love the sound of my Kerry Low D, but I run out of breath too quickly. Yes yes, I'm working on my breath control...
As others have said, I wouldn't bother with another low D but rather stick to practicing more:

http://www.kerrywhistles.com/products.php

Click on Kerry D and see Phil Hardy play. He also almost makes it seem effortless. When I first got my low D (a Copeland), I practiced scales using pipe grip for three hours straight in front of the TV. It worked like a charm.
morten
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

Allthough I mostly agree with the above, there are other low whistles out there requiring a lot less air than the Kerry.

I have played Overtons, Susatos and a Cillian O'Brien that allmost played by themselves. I just found that the easiest blowers was somehow harder to control. Sometimes it is actually easier to play a whistle that you can really lean into.

Just my two credits
Morten
Oreo

Post by Oreo »

One not mentioned so far:
I have a Syn low D in brass, which was made before the current aluminum models (for sale at Gaelic Crossings for $140). I don't know how they would compare.
I did have a chance to play a Kerry Low D on tour recently, and it took a ton of air to play by comparison.
My Syn has a nice clear, reedy sound, plenty of volume, and some chiff, so it sounds like the description of at Gaelic Crossings.
I bet it would fit what you're looking for.
And I'm sure the Hoover would be a good bet too.

Oreo