Ever wish you had the exciting version of your car?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Ever wish you had the exciting version of your car?

Post by Tyler »

“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

I have a 4-door Chevy Cavalier (I didn't choose it), and in high school there was this girl who had this 2-door Cavalier with a huge spoiler and stuff on it. I guess that could sort of be the exciting version of my car.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Congratulations wrote:I have a 4-door Chevy Cavalier (I didn't choose it), and in high school there was this girl who had this 2-door Cavalier with a huge spoiler and stuff on it. I guess that could sort of be the exciting version of my car.
::whisper::
there's nothing exciting about a Chevy Cavalier :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Congratulations wrote:I have a 4-door Chevy Cavalier (I didn't choose it), and in high school there was this girl who had this 2-door Cavalier with a huge spoiler and stuff on it. I guess that could sort of be the exciting version of my car.
I don't understand cosmetic souping-up of boring cars. Why does someone spend 500 bucks on a spoiler for a Cavalier or the thousands for shiny alloy wheels, stainless exhaust systems, etc. for a Civic rather than getting a slightly more exciting car? My two favorite examples:

In the mid-80's I saw a Yugo with a custom leather bra. After a year, the bra was probably worth more than the car.

Around the same time, I saw (I kid you not) a Pontiac Fiero with a hood scoop. The Fiero was a rear-engine car. IOW, the hood scoop fed air into the trunk.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I remember hearing about a car factory that located to Ireland. (South, I was told, although it doesn't signify.)

After it had been operating for six months, a trickle of complaints seemed to grow into a flood - some of the small cars produced there seemed to use more petrol that they should - some of the large cars seemed somehow to lack power.

It turned out that one particular guy was given the job of putting the badges on the chassis. He was an artist. He picked out the badges he liked on the days he felt like it. He had no notion at all that the badge carried any kind of specification to correspond with the engine.

I believe that the factory is still working, although I'm not so sure about the badge man.

"Ach sure it'll all be all right."
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

chas wrote:
I don't understand cosmetic souping-up of boring cars. Why does someone spend 500 bucks on a spoiler for a Cavalier or the thousands for shiny alloy wheels, stainless exhaust systems, etc. for a Civic rather than getting a slightly more exciting car? My two favorite examples:

In the mid-80's I saw a Yugo with a custom leather bra. After a year, the bra was probably worth more than the car.

Around the same time, I saw (I kid you not) a Pontiac Fiero with a hood scoop. The Fiero was a rear-engine car. IOW, the hood scoop fed air into the trunk.
But man... they had 'the look', and 'the look' counts!... (cough)... of course, they could have been joking... :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

chas wrote:

That's what those of us who fall into the category of "real performance car owners" call "Rice-boy Syndrome." :lol:
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Tyler Morris wrote:
::whisper::
there's nothing exciting about a Chevy Cavalier :P
I agree. :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
missy

Post by missy »

Tyler, you'll appreciate this:

Nate once hooked a Folger's can (with both ends cut off) to the exhaust of his pickup!

(For those who may not know, a "riceburner" is a tricked out Japanese car - Honda, Toyota, whatever - and those huge chrome exhaust tips are called "coffee cans").
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Wait a minute! Cavalier's aren't cool?!?! I drove mine like it was:

:)

Avanutria was with me on that trip heading to Wyobadger's place. We were nothing if not adventurous! And we thought pretty cool as well (mostly for not dying after we spun off the highway at 70-ish miles an hour! :thumbsup: ) I have since replaced that car with a much nicer, blacker and sexier variety. Nope. no more Chevy's in MY future! LOL
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Had an 83 Cavalier station wagon... I've stuck with Fords ever since.
Reasonable person
Walden
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

missy wrote:Tyler, you'll appreciate this:

Nate once hooked a Folger's can (with both ends cut off) to the exhaust of his pickup!

(For those who may not know, a "riceburner" is a tricked out Japanese car - Honda, Toyota, whatever - and those huge chrome exhaust tips are called "coffee cans").
Oh Geeze, don't even get me started.....

We used to joke that every Neuspeed sticker was worth a good 25 hp to those guys with the coffee can exhaust tips.

Hey Tyler, he's a funny one: I swung by this VW tuner's shop one day to pick up a high flow oil impregnated air filter, since no one else local had one. The guy had just recently Finished doing a full race set-up and Turbo install job on his VR6 - full roll cage, five point restraints, coil-over suspension, custom exhaust, etc, and the turbo, which added 100 + hp at full boost (really) which the guy had cranked all the time, of course.

So I'm there buying my air filter and the owner is talking to me and a dude who's an Vee Dub enthusiast from out of town. The shop owner is bragging about the car, how fast it is, etc., and he asks if we want to go for a ride. (One at a time, cause there's no back seat now) and figure, what the hell, it's got 5 point harnesses and a full roll cage, how bad can I get hurt riding with the guy for a few blocks around Tampa, right?

The other dude from out of town says yes too, so I say "Hey, you've got to catch a plane in a couple of hours, you might as well go first, I'm in no rush." But he says he'd rather go second cause he needs to finish buying some things. Fine by me. I get in and strap up while the car warms up, and then off we go.

Well, the car really was bloody fast, and the guy wasn't a bad driver, but he was very smart about the risks he was taking on the street........

We get back after about a 10 minute drive, and the other guy gets in and off the go.

15 minutes later, they haven't returned, 20 minutes later we get a call - they hit another car that changed lanes without signaling, and were going nearly 100mph at the time, this on a back street in the city :boggle: We all hop in our cars and drive over to the accident scene, and fortunately no one is hurt (amazing!) but this guy's brand new project car, which he has a ton of money into, is now completely and utterly totaled - even his racing rims are shattered from hitting the curb at a nearly right angle.

Needless to say, the poor guy from out of town missed his plane, and needed to change his pants as well. :lol:

You just gotta love those guys.......

Loren
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

anniemcu wrote:
chas wrote:Around the same time, I saw (I kid you not) a Pontiac Fiero with a hood scoop. The Fiero was a rear-engine car. IOW, the hood scoop fed air into the trunk.
But man... they had 'the look', and 'the look' counts!... (cough)... of course, they could have been joking... :)
Not a bit. It's to aerate the bodies.

I have no idea what I could do to make a white Chevy Malibu sexy. I think it'd be better to artify it instead, like covering it with duct tape or hot-glueing shoes all over it. A surface of globby epoxy splooge would be cool, too. Stuff like that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

chas wrote:

Comes in handy if you want to prevent your abductees from asphyxiating.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Somehow, I don't think you can find an exciting version of one of these (which almost looks like my car, but mine is older, with white on it)

:wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.