Faerie's Aire

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TubeDude

Post by TubeDude »

I need some help on this piece. In measure 5, I don't know when to take a breath. Does anyone else have this problem with Faerie's Aire?

The music can be downloaded here - http://anhstrumpet.tripod.com/Faeries_A ... _Waltz.jpg It's about a 1/2Meg file.

Thanks in advance,

TD
Music and songs were part of a cowboy's life. It is said that a trail boss would never pick a fellow that could not sing or whistle.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Dude -

No, don't go by the music...memorize it and play by ear, and then you will hear the natural breathing point. There's only one, mind you. For the rest, you need to learn that circular breathing stuff.

Good luck! It's a wonderful piece, isn't it!
clarinetwhistler
Tell us something.: Been quite a few years since I've been to the forums. Looking forward to spending a little more time in the community.

Post by clarinetwhistler »

I'm usually a pretty good music sight reader. Hmmm, let's see ... I'd try to hold out till Bar "Q". Take a deep breath ....

This looks like something from PDQ Bach :smile:
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

I can't see the graphic! Tried clicking, tried copy-pasting to a new window... anybody else having probs, or is it just me? :razz:

Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Gee this is a toughy! I think you could take a breath when you "remove the cattle from the stage" and also when you "release the Penquins". Image Image

You may also get one in when the "Saxes move downstage"

Wonderful Piece!
Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

Time to get out the respirator.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Real men don't take breaths.
clarinetwhistler
Tell us something.: Been quite a few years since I've been to the forums. Looking forward to spending a little more time in the community.

Post by clarinetwhistler »

I have to admit to trying to take a breath once ... but I promise I didn't inhale :wink:
Stella

Post by Stella »

Has anyone ever attempted learning circular breathing for the purposes of playing wind instruments?

(For those with no idea what I am talking about: the Australian Aborigines use it when playing their didgeridoos so there are no gaps in the music. You store enough air in your mouth to keep playing while taking a breath with your nose. Apparently the best way to learn is to try continually blowing through a straw into a glass of water.)
Stella
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Or you can always use a singer's technique and shorten the value of a note in an earlier measure slighly in order to sneak in a breath before the difficult measure. I've lost track of the number of times our conductor has told us to "change that to an eighth note and give yourselves an eighth note breath" in a difficult passage. So long as you maintain the same rhythmic value, it should work out fine.

Redwolf
BillG

Post by BillG »

Drop an eighth note here and there and take a breath. For the classically trained this is sacriledges I know but in TRAD its the norm. Also adds to the pulse of the tune.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)