Don't try this at home...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
andrew_w
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Don't try this at home...

Post by andrew_w »

Since I was about to buy a new flute, I thought I'd have a go at modifying my 1 piece Dixon to try and overcome it's shortcomings.

After reading an excellent article on Terry McGee's website about the shape of embouchures, I decided that the Dixon lacked rounded sides which was causing too much wind noise.

So after 10 minutes of careful filing with a rat-tailled file, I washed out the filings and blew.

I started with the low D and that came readily and smoothly although it did sound like it had lost some of its raspy edge. Then the E, which is my least favourite excuse of a note, but that sounded much better balanced less thin and wheezy and slightly more full and mellow. The F and G were both vibrant and full. Even the notes in the upper register were fuller.

After an hour of playing, this felt like a new instrument - it is far easier and producing a full, rich note every time whereas before some notes were just thin and wheezy. It's also louder because I can pump more air into it without as much wind noise. It's more responsive, the low D sounds almost immediately even when suddenly dropping to it from a high note.

If I can only sort out the tuning, I won't need to buy another flute afterall. I'll try and make a parabolic wedge to insert into it.

I just thought I'd share this, in the hope that others find it useful.
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

Go get yourself some PVC and make a few of your own.

You can then try different emb cuts without mucking with your Dixon.

Ive been adding lip plates on mine to experiment with chimney height as well.

I find it makes for some fascinating experiments.

Eveyone is getting PVC flutes this Xmas! :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Flogging Jason
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

Aanvil wrote:
Does this include me?!! lol
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Flogging Jason wrote:
Aanvil wrote:
Does this include me?!! lol

PM me your mailing address and I'll see what I can do after Jan 1.

:)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Aanvil wrote:Go get yourself some PVC and make a few of your own.

A suggestion from my meager workshop: It's not too hard to find tonkin bamboo with an inside diameter close to PVC outside diameter. Carve a nice bamboo lipplate, epoxy it on, and drill away. Very comfy on the lip, and the bamboo can be ground down to whatever thickness you like. Marine epoxy with microballoons works great (none have cracked or popped off yet) but anything is worth a try. A very(!) sharp exacto blade is more effective for carving than files, in my experience.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
jtrout
Tell us something.: I play ITM on flute and whistle and enjoy the the topics on both forums. Much more civil and germaine that The Session.Org.

Post by jtrout »

Ummmm....should I try this on my Olwell? :)
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

jtrout wrote:Ummmm....should I try this on my Olwell? :)
No reason why not....
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

jtrout wrote:Ummmm....should I try this on my Olwell? :)
Put DOWN the FILES! Step away from the headjoint and place your hands where we can see them.....

:wink:
jtrout
Tell us something.: I play ITM on flute and whistle and enjoy the the topics on both forums. Much more civil and germaine that The Session.Org.

Post by jtrout »

Yes Sir! :sniffle:
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Chiffed wrote:
Aanvil wrote:Go get yourself some PVC and make a few of your own.

A suggestion from my meager workshop: It's not too hard to find tonkin bamboo with an inside diameter close to PVC outside diameter. Carve a nice bamboo lipplate, epoxy it on, and drill away. Very comfy on the lip, and the bamboo can be ground down to whatever thickness you like. Marine epoxy with microballoons works great (none have cracked or popped off yet) but anything is worth a try. A very(!) sharp exacto blade is more effective for carving than files, in my experience.
Marine epoxy with microballons? What is that? Thus far, I have been using superglue to glue the pvc lip plate to a pvc headjoint. The slower setting superglue that I have been using gives me enough time to get the lip plate clamped in place before the glue starts to harden. However, I have had one report of a lip plate coming unglued when the flute was dropped. Maybe the superglue is too hard and brittle for this task. I am curious whether epoxy might provide a better bond between two pices of pvc. Is this where the microballons come into play?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Chiffed wrote: Carve a nice bamboo lipplate...........A very(!) sharp exacto blade is more effective for carving than files, in my experience.

Shocking, that a knife would carve better than a file. :wink:

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Chiffed wrote:Marine epoxy with microballons? What is that? Thus far, I have been using superglue to glue the pvc lip plate to a pvc headjoint. The slower setting superglue that I have been using gives me enough time to get the lip plate clamped in place before the glue starts to harden. However, I have had one report of a lip plate coming unglued when the flute was dropped. Maybe the superglue is too hard and brittle for this task. I am curious whether epoxy might provide a better bond between two pices of pvc. Is this where the microballons come into play?
Doug,

Have you tried using the regular PVC plumbing cement? I know it's smelly, but it bonds PVC to itself very well. Should give you a bit of working time, too.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Microballoons and epoxy are used in two different ways....

1. A very few small micro ballons (or solid spheres) are added to the mix to insure a minimum thickness to the epoxy bond...it should not be infinetly thin..

2. A high proportion of microballoons can be added to bulk up the epoxy and lower the density of the resultant material (or increase it if you use solid spheres of dense material). We used to do this alot to make acoustic matching layers for ultrasonic transducers....
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
dDave

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

Microballoons are simply tiny glass beads used as a thickening agent in epoxy or polyester resin.

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/categor ... 1367634711

I would also recommend pvc cement, it fuses the two pieces of pvc together. However, in my experience, the working time has been relatively short - about 30 seconds or so. Use a respirator too, it stinks.

Best,

Dave
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Marine epoxy with microballons? What is that? Thus far, I have been using superglue to glue the pvc lip plate to a pvc headjoint. The slower setting superglue that I have been using gives me enough time to get the lip plate clamped in place before the glue starts to harden. However, I have had one report of a lip plate coming unglued when the flute was dropped. Maybe the superglue is too hard and brittle for this task. I am curious whether epoxy might provide a better bond between two pices of pvc. Is this where the microballons come into play?
The only reason I went for thickened epoxy was to fill any gaps between the bamboo and the PVC. If done right, it can be a really tough, flexible, and bubble-free bond. I'm very serious about safety with epoxy liquid, dust, and solvents: I'm sensitive to any solvent stronger than vinegar (which works pretty well).

For PVC to PVC, I always use solvent cement (outdoors). Even good CA glue like SuperT dries more brittle than the PVC. If you try epoxy, I'd suggest trying to get the hardness of the adhesive close to the hardness of the pvc. This makes it so much easier to work (carving or filing the emb. :) )