Inflatable christmas lawn ornaments

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Blow Up-Light Up Christmas Lawn Ornaments

Destroy them all!!
69%
love'em
10%
don't care
22%

Total votes: 51

Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I hate those things.
Hate them.
I'm using the word hate here, and I don't use it often.
I hate inflatable whatchamahoozits in people's yards.

Clark Griswold would be proud of em, though. :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Nanohedron wrote:
jsluder wrote:I have to caveat my "destroy them all" vote. One house in our neighborhood puts out an inflatable "Vampire Tigger" at Halloween which I actually like. Sure, it's tacky... but it's Tigger as a Vampire! What's not to like? :D
Sometimes tacky is good.

I always wanted to cover my front yard with as many pink flamingo lawn ornaments as it could hold.
Heh. My parents have lived in the same cul-de-sac for about 30 years now - it was a new tract when they moved in, so they knew all the original owners.

For years, there was a single battered and tacky plastic flamingo that made the rounds regularly - whoever received it last would wait a few weeks, then sneak out at night to plant it on someone else's lawn.

They are the only original owners left, these days - all the others have moved away over the years. But I don't think the custom died until the last of them were gone.
emmline

Post by emmline »

fearfaoin wrote: Maybe a nice blow
up scene featuring the Oak King battling the Holly King to bring
the sun back? That'd confuse 'em!
Do it. Do it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

DCrom wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
jsluder wrote:I have to caveat my "destroy them all" vote. One house in our neighborhood puts out an inflatable "Vampire Tigger" at Halloween which I actually like. Sure, it's tacky... but it's Tigger as a Vampire! What's not to like? :D
Sometimes tacky is good.

I always wanted to cover my front yard with as many pink flamingo lawn ornaments as it could hold.
Heh. My parents have lived in the same cul-de-sac for about 30 years now - it was a new tract when they moved in, so they knew all the original owners.

For years, there was a single battered and tacky plastic flamingo that made the rounds regularly - whoever received it last would wait a few weeks, then sneak out at night to plant it on someone else's lawn.

They are the only original owners left, these days - all the others have moved away over the years. But I don't think the custom died until the last of them were gone.
Now that's cool. Too bad, the passing of a tradition like that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I'd say they're a huge backslide in culture, but this is a world where Britney shows her good to the camera so, I guess we've been sliding for a while
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

Lee Stanford wrote:That's it... I'm going to find the 70 foot tall Michael Flatley blow up ornament and have him step dance over those little plastic santas!!!
Oh, please don't do that. I think if given the choice, I'd rather have the santa in the snowglobe :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Montana

Post by Montana »

izzarina wrote:
Lee Stanford wrote:That's it... I'm going to find the 70 foot tall Michael Flatley blow up ornament and have him step dance over those little plastic santas!!!
Oh, please don't do that. I think if given the choice, I'd rather have the santa in the snowglobe :P
We could require that the ornament keeps his shirt on...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Across the street from my cousin's house, a neighbor wrapped his elm tree in red lights from base to branches. It looks like a huge artery.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Every Who
Down in Who-ville
Liked inflatables a lot...

But ol' Tyler,
Who lived somewhere in Utah,
Did NOT!

Tyler hated those blowups!
They've ruined the season!
That's why Tyler gets angry whenever he sees 'em.

It could be they remind him of liferafts and shipwrecks.
It could be, perhaps, that his neighbors are rednecks.
But I think that the bitterest tear in his cup
Might be that he never could blow the things up.
missy

Post by missy »

BWHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Fearfaoin wins post of the week!!!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I think they're cute. It's only for a month or so anyway.

We don't have any, because: 1. They're too expensive. 2. I'm sure somebody would destroy it, just like they cut the lights on the outside tree last year, and 3. We don't have room to store it.
Charlene
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Now, if I put a Little Ms. Pinky on my lawn, I'm sure the neighbors would kill me soon after my wife did. The only difference between her and these other things is, well, the others haven't been immortalized by Frank Zappa. Which doesn't count in their favor as far as I'm concerned. I'd really love to put an inflatable Billy the Mountain in my front yard, but it doesn't get enough light for Ethel, the tree growing off of his shoulder.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Lee Stanford

Post by Lee Stanford »

Tyler Morris wrote:
Clark Griswold would be proud of em, though. :D

Dude I swear to god I'm watching Christmas Vacation right now!! My wife went down to check the laundry and I thought i'd check in here.

Amen!!!!!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

They just add to the way too much spent on yard ornaments that could be given to some worthy cause that actually helps people at this time of year, IMHO.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Nanohedron wrote:
Sometimes tacky is good.

Pink flamingoes are not tacky . . . they are classic kitsch.

Inflatable vampire Tiggers are ok. It's the inflatable snow globes that get me.

A woman living next to someone I know has an inflatable merry-go-round. It pumps up until it's full, then the motor switches over to making the thing go around. This chick has so much crud on her lawn and roof that it spilled over to next door on both sides, and she's had to run electric lines in from her neighbors' . . . and nobody can do laundry at night when it's all flashing, pumping, and spinning.

I only hope the things are so poorly made that they prove to be short-lived.
Cotelette d'Agneau