simply transposed

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

please read topic's post no 1 before voting

Poll ended at Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:39 am

F G A B C D E F
No votes
F G A# B C D E# F
4%
F G A Bb C D E F
93%
F G A B C# D E F
No votes
F G Bb Cb Db D E F
No votes
F F# G A B C# D E F
4%

Total votes: 28

BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I'm in the majority. What's up with that? :boggle:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

This was ridiculously easy. All I had to do was grab a D whistle and grope around a bit.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Nanohedron wrote: All I had to do was grab a D whistle and grope around a bit.
hehe.
/Bloomfield
rh

Post by rh »

Chiffed wrote:
rh wrote:european or african?
Sparrows sing in microtonally inflected pentatonic. Everyone knows that! :wink:
i beg to differ... european swallows only use diatonic scales.
there is no end to the walking
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Nano's a groper. Nyah-nyah! :P

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Chiffed wrote:OK, talasiga: give us the notes of Cb melodic minor. No cheating, please.

up:
Cb Db Ebb Fb Gb Ab Bb Cb
down:
Cb Bbb Abb Gb Fb Ebb Db Cb

And I didn't cheat.
I just took 4 semesters of "classical" music theory.

My brain will never be the same.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:Nano's a groper. Nyah-nyah! :P

djm
To paraphrase the good Dr. Freud, sometimes a whistle is just a whistle. A bodhrán, however, is cause for concern however you look at it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Come to think of it, you can't transpose on a bodhrán. And on further reflection, the words "bodhrán" and "grope" in the same phrase make a very ugly picture.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Nanohedron wrote:This was ridiculously easy. All I had to do was grab a D whistle and grope around a bit.
That action comes under "research" and you have, therefore, contravened the instructions in post 1. Consequently you have skewed the whole survey analysis, particularly as I don't know how to discount your answer because I don't know how you voted.

Contravening instructions is not necessarily a sign of inferior intelligence. Often it is a sign of restless superior intelligence. Mostly its just plain disrespectful.

I am considering reporting you to a moderator for sabotaging the topic purpose but I cannot decide between Redwolf and Mr Smith. I am also in two minds about that (on account of my Libra ascendant) because I would not want to be too punitive to those who particpate in my topics.

I really want my pub topics to be lively and full of fun. I do believe we can enjoy a good life in this world even if we do not know why God created it.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

You can be sure of my answer due to my restless superior intelligence, and discount it forthwith. :wink:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

fyffer wrote:
Chiffed wrote:OK, talasiga: give us the notes of Cb melodic minor. No cheating, please.

up:
Cb Db Ebb Fb Gb Ab Bb Cb
down:
Cb Bbb Abb Gb Fb Ebb Db Cb
I was really working on that. Can you please tell me how many cents; sharps/flats those designations spell/show?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Chiffed wrote: OK, talasiga: give us the notes of Cb melodic minor. No cheating, please.
^ 2:1:2:2:2:2:1
V 2:2:1:2:2:1:2

ie it is natural minor in the lower tetrachord in ascent
and fully natural minor in descent.

To make it easier for those thinking in keyboard or a 12 semitone equal tempered apprehension (as opposed to ancient Byzantine musicians who may distinguish several forms of Cb distinct from B and C)
I will call your Cb as B

So B melodic minor =
^ B C# D E F# G# A# B
V B A G F# E D C# B

I don't know what the fxxx i'd use this western theory piece of sXXX for in the music I play but I had fun extrapolating my
ie it is natural minor in the lower tetrachord in ascent
and fully natural minor in descent.
for your transposition quiz.

I had more fun doing this than participating in a topic about whether to wipe your whistle with toilet tissue or a hanky and whether that depends on whether your whistle is wooden, plastic or tin.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I don't understand why it should be such a conundrum to list the notes of the F major scale. You might as well make a quiz of listing the integers between 10 and 20.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Ro3b wrote:I don't understand why it should be such a conundrum to list the notes of the F major scale. You might as well make a quiz of listing the integers between 10 and 20.
The thing about you and a lot of particpants in this topic who are making negative comments about the facility of this topic is that you appear to be self centred, you probably have never had students (formally or informally) and you are taking certain things for granted. I say "self centred" because you take it that because you understand something simply everyone else will too.

I would like to point out that there are many people who are reading this topic and are secretly learning from it. Denigrating something that is helpful to others because it is "low level" stuff for you is a real put down and a blocker to sharing.

I have experienced a lot of musicians here and in the corporeal world thank me for explaining the apparently (to me) self evident things about
music. I have in turn been also at the other end of the stick.

I commend the posts of Anniemcu's ilk which further the sharing of understanding in the context I have created.

I have, of course, made the big mistake of not having a
"I do not know"
poll option.

One of the things I am canvassing here is a general ability to extrapolate.
My failure in not including the latter option is regretted.

I would ask those of you gifted enough to discern the correct answer to respect those of the readership whose gifts lie in other areas.

It is not only men who are from Mars and women who are from Venus. There are other planets out there and other non gender based characteristics for sorting genesis.

Remember Beethoven became very deaf and dumb. There is a music in understanding the relationships in music that can nourish one even if one cannot hear it or sing it.
Lee Stanford

Post by Lee Stanford »

:-?