The Safe and Modern Way to Light Up Your Tree

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

The Safe and Modern Way to Light Up Your Tree

Post by Walden »

Reasonable person
Walden
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

You have to wonder who uses just 8 lights on their tree .
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
emmline

Post by emmline »

Martin Milner wrote:You have to wonder who uses just 8 lights on their tree .
Charlie Brown.
missy

Post by missy »

anyone remember the REAL bubble lights that had methylene chloride in them????
I'd love to see what the safety warnings on that box would look like now adays - especially in California!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

missy wrote:anyone remember the REAL bubble lights that had methylene chloride in them????
I'd love to see what the safety warnings on that box would look like now adays - especially in California!!
:-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_light
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

LOVE the smoking jacket. And the Leg-o'-Mutton Sleeves.

Got any material left over, Annie?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

missy wrote:anyone remember the REAL bubble lights that had methylene chloride in them????
Not about Christmas tree lights, but I remember glass globes full of red liquid in my father's auto body shop. They were placed along the walls in holders so that the balls could be easily removed. Believe it or not, the glass balls were filled with carbon tetrachloride dyed red, and they were meant to be used for fire contol. If you had a fire, you were suppose to grab one of the glass balls and throw it at the fire. Come on, guys, what a dumb idea.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Oooh, oooh, oooh -- I do. We only had two of them on the string. They were my favorites -- used to watch them for hours until we got a television.

Click the pictures for more bubble light fun.

Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
missy

Post by missy »

Doug_Tipple wrote: Believe it or not, the glass balls were filled with carbon tetrachloride dyed red, and they were meant to be used for fire contol. If you had a fire, you were suppose to grab one of the glass balls and throw it at the fire. Come on, guys, what a dumb idea.
well, technically, if you were interested in putting out the fire, it would work. Just looked up carbon tet - and it doesn't have a flashpoint. So it probably would smother a fire........

...... of course, you'd get cancer in the process, especially if you breath in the fumes, or got it on your skin, but technically, it would put the fire out.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Wow! Is that what those were?

We had those on our tree when I was a kid.

I never saw them bubble though. They were probably REALLY old even then. It's all one with the chocolate tasting of pine needles.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

You never saw them bubble? Oh no! We didn't have any but I remember seeing them in stores. The whole point was that they bubbled :lol: . At least I think so.

That is a lovely advertisement, Walden.

I tried to find a picture of those globe fire extinguishers Doug mentioned but I couldn't---I had never heard of that idea. I suppose carbon tet worked well for electrical fires especially where you couldn't use water, but missy is right. It is very hazardous. In addition to its own vapors being hazardous, it will react chemically in a fire and give off other very dangerous gasses. It was used in a lot of fire extinguishers, some of which might look similar to the ones we are accustomed to seeing. If you ever found one, you should turn it in to some agency that collects hazardous waste.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
EricWingler

Post by EricWingler »

Cynth wrote: I suppose carbon tet worked well for electrical fires especially where you couldn't use water, but missy is right. It is very hazardous. In addition to its own vapors being hazardous, it will react chemically in a fire and give off other very dangerous gasses.
Phosgene comes to mind.
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I thought Iwas the only one that loved bubble lights. I'd look at those lights for hours when I got home from school.
djm

Post by djm »

Yes, we had a string of them in the early sixties. They looked like the one in gonzo's second picture. They slowly worked less and less each year (probably from being stored in an attic where they fried in summer and froze in winter as warned against in the wiki article). Eventually they got tossed. But they were way cool in their day.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Any links out there that show them working in all of their glory?