Poll: How do you Anchor?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

How do you Anchor?

I use my bottom pinky finger as an anchor.
39%
I only use my thumbs and mouth to stabalize the whistle.
16%
I use a different anchoring method (please specify).
19%
I don't think about anchoring; I just pick up my whistle and play.
27%

Total votes: 64

gallant_murray
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Poll: How do you Anchor?

Post by gallant_murray »

Greetings all. I was reading in a whistle tutor today and the author suggested anchoring the whistle with the bottom pinky finger. I personally did not learn this way and to me it seems really awkward to always have my pinky holding the whistle. Does anyone do this or another method consistently?
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
Tia

Post by Tia »

Hello, I use my mouth and thumbs to hold it, I think that using pinkies would be awkward, but I belive that some do hold it that way, so I guess what ever feels most confortable and works the best for you.
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

I just pick up and play, but when I think about it find I'm using my thumbs and pinky- pinky doesn't go to the bottom tho, it's just a counterweight to the right thumb. It goes up and down as I need, which makes my friends joke about the "phantom hole".

Holding it in your mouth? How do you do that? (But then I barely put the whistle in my mouth when I play. I'm the wierd one probably.)
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Darn, you had me fooled there for a minute - I thought this was going to be about rock climbing or mountaineering. I'll put my slings, chocks and cams away now :cry: (pitons are no longer PC, and bolting is highly questionable.)

As for whistles, I sometimes use the pinky, sometimes use the ring finger on the bottom hole.

Loren
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

My right hand pinky gets all the stress - I have to remind it to be gentle - my elbow reminds me that 20 years of mouse-clicking has a cumulative risk for RSI so RELAX!!!

Pinky is good.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I use my pinky almost all of the time. I do lift it to do rolls on E, though.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

I don't even know, but my thumbs hurt after I play a low whistle so probably my thumbs. I dont think about anchoring at all though.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Most of the time I throw the anchor off the bow. :wink:
Last edited by Tommy on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
dDave

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

Thumbs and pinkies on both hands.

Best,

Dave
Bridges-PdP

Post by Bridges-PdP »

TheSpoonMan wrote:I just pick up and play, but when I think about it find I'm using my thumbs and pinky- pinky doesn't go to the bottom tho, it's just a counterweight to the right thumb. It goes up and down as I need...

What he said.
Scott Bridges

Auxilio ab alto
m31

Post by m31 »

It depends on the whistle size. Lately I've been experimenting by adding a clamp (borrowed from a mic stand) to my Chieftain F whistle. It takes a lot of stress off the fingers as I don't press nearly as hard. The idea is from my days as a soprano sax player... I've also been experimenting with resting my Low D whistle on my thigh when I'm playing F# or higher. I figure if pipers can do it, so can I. Besides, it also gives me the option of bending the D and d notes.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Loren wrote:Darn, you had me fooled there for a minute - I thought this was going to be about rock climbing or mountaineering. I'll put my slings, chocks and cams away now :cry: (pitons are no longer PC, and bolting is highly questionable.)

As for whistles, I sometimes use the pinky, sometimes use the ring finger on the bottom hole.

Loren
:)
Join a rescue group - then you get to use the heavy metal (and play with helicopters and crazy military pilots). Pitons, rock bags, picket lines... it's all PC in a rescue. A little more secure than having Friends in high places.

As for anchoring whistles, I just stick them between two beer glasses on the table, and they stay put.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
bdh
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Post by bdh »

Bridges-PdP wrote:
TheSpoonMan wrote:I just pick up and play, but when I think about it find I'm using my thumbs and pinky- pinky doesn't go to the bottom tho, it's just a counterweight to the right thumb. It goes up and down as I need...
What he said.
Ditto.
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I use both little fingers and the right thumb. I don't use the left thumb, which is why whistles with the Cnat thumb hole are difficult for me to cope with.
Reasonable person
Walden
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

From G up I normally use the pinkie but sometimes the third finger on the bottom hole. On the recorder I use just thumbs and lips usually.