Club practice set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

What is a reasonable rental fee for a practice set

$0 - it should be free
11%
$10 per month
11%
$20 per month
14%
$30 per month
36%
$50 per month
14%
$75 per month
4%
$100 per month
11%

Total votes: 28

PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Club practice set

Post by PJ »

Our club is thinking of providing a loaner practice set for newbies. Is it reasonable to charge a fee for the loan of a practice set and if so what is reasonable, assuming an hour of instruction per month is included?

Any tips or suggestions from other clubs operating a similar arrangement would be greatly appreciated.
PJ
cquick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Rental of Set

Post by cquick »

Doesn't the BC club have a fee schedule on their web site?

Chuck
No E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by No E »

The guidlines we use at the SCUPC are that the borrower has to be a dues-paying member of the club, and has to have their own practice set on order (to demonstrate that they're serious).

Larry Dunn
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Wow, six loaner sets ... :o

Can anyone in the BC club let me know how well this scheme is operating? How successful is it in attracting new members? Any particular problems?

Please pm me is you don't want to make your comments on the forum.
PJ
djm

Post by djm »

Its always hard to nail down a price. There is always someone who will cry poor no matter how much or little you charge (they still manage to find beer money, though). But charge you must. Its the only way to keep people serious beyond the intial flush of excitement. Its also necessary for the club to recoup some part of its losses, even if its run as not-for-profit.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I don't think it unreasonable to charge a rental fee. Unreasonable would be if that fee were over $30 (US).
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

As it includes an hour of instruction and the instructor must be paid, then I think that $40 a month is okay. This assumes that instruction is great and the practice set is solid.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

No E wrote:The guidlines we use at the SCUPC are that the borrower has to be a dues-paying member of the club, and has to have their own practice set on order (to demonstrate that they're serious).

Larry Dunn

Are the pipes on loan or are they being rented??

Look at this from the standpoint of parents who's child has a desire to learn pipes.
Shouldn't they be allowed to rent a set to determine if their child really has an inclination toward learning pipes, BEFORE comitting a (sometimes non-refundable) deposit to order a set?

If the practice set is substantial (wooden chanter, leather bag) the club should be running this like any business.

Fee schedule? I suggest:
$30 a month for club members with a 6 month limit.
$60 a month for non-club members with a 3 month limit.

There should also be a 'no quibble' reed replacement fee if the renter breaks a reed or renders the reed unplayable. Perhaps $25 if at least one of the club members can re-reed the chanter and $50 if a reed must be bought from a pipemaker or reedmaker.

For insurance reasons, an agreement should be signed by the parties involved. Does the club provide insurance on the instrument? Does the renter accept responsibility? The replacement value of the pipes for loan/rent must be determined before they are released to the renter. This should be standard practice for all clubs who want to rent instruments.

As a separate issue:

At least the first month should offer some (mandatory) instruction. Two 30 minute lessons per month. There is too much to absorb in the beginning. Shorter lessons are suggested. Does the instructor volunteer this? I think not. That is part of the rental fee.
PJ

Post by PJ »

I was toying with the idea of a 2-stage loan. The first stage is for a short period - 4 weeks, during which time the beginner gets 2 or 3 short classes. At the end of the 4 weeks, the beginner must either place an order or return the set. If he/she places the order, the loan can be extended for a few months (most makers will provide a practice set in 4 to 6 months).

Insurance is a good idea. As is the reed replacement fee, although here in Quebec, the climate is very hard on reeds, going from very humid in the summer to very dry in the winter.

Some very interesting points. Thanks Tony.
PJ
No E

Post by No E »

Tony raises a crapload of good issues. This is why the SCUPC has never been too enthusiastic about acquiring or loaning out practice sets--the headache to benefit ratio is too high. We have one or two sets on hand at meetings for newbies to try out, and on rare occasions we loan out a set to individuals who have ordered their own set. It's certainly not the fairest or most logical system, but since when have fair and logical applied to piping?

-Larry
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Joseph E. Smith

No E wrote:... but since when have fair and logical applied to piping?

-Larry
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the idea behind loaner sets, for the simple reason that way back when I wanted to begin Uilleann piping, there was absolutely nothing available to me.

Since then, I have acquired a few chanters and bellows and have made a few bags so that when the day comes I am ready and asked to start somebody out, I'll have everything they will need to get going... and that will also include reed making stuff. It'll be the big condition that they learn to make their own reeds or they do not get the loan of a set. :twisted:
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Be sure you can cover insurance with whatever fees you charge. While most people will be honest about their insurance covering it or not, there's always the off chance they'll miss a payment or their insurance won't cover it for this reason or that.

I think the idea of practice sets is fantastic. It's the reality that's tough. If they were all less-destructible delrin or pennychanters, that might be more ideal.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:......It'll be the big condition that they learn to make their own reeds or they do not get the loan of a set. :twisted:
Joseph, are you sure about this?

"I've got to learn to make reeds BEFORE I can borrow the pipes..."
Joseph E. Smith

Tony wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:......It'll be the big condition that they learn to make their own reeds or they do not get the loan of a set. :twisted:
Joseph, are you sure about this?

"I've got to learn to make reeds BEFORE I can borrow the pipes..."
Your quote, not mine. :D

I didn't state before, but rather that it is a condition of the loan that they learn how to make their own reeds...reed making will be part of the piping lessons. But that's a long way off yet as far as I can tell. :lol:
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

In Manchester we have 4 sets.

We charge £5/month including a monthly lesson. (Fee covers insurance costs and maintenance.)

We insist people attend the monthly meetings and show they have been practicing. (This can prove difficult). Max loan is 6 months, unless there is no one waiting for a loan set.

The objective of this scheme is to allow people to have a serious try at the pipes before having to commit a large amount of money.

David