A word, in fairness, about Tom Cruise

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A word, in fairness, about Tom Cruise

Post by Dale »

I still don't know what to make of this guy and, outside of his movies, I don't like him one bit. But, I've conceded that I think he's a good actor and underrated as an actor. He is, after all, in one of my very favorite movies, "Magnolia." I'm glad he apologized to Brooke Shields.

When his unpleasant behavior was at peak, I didn't want to see his movies because I don't like the idea of putting even one dime in the pocket of this kind of individual. So, I hadn't seen MIssion Impossible III and hadn't cared to. I didn't like the first one in the series very much and I don't even REMEMBER MI II, except I'm sure I saw it.

But, through the miracle of slightly dubious use of electronics, I was able to watch MI III tonight and, of course, I didn't put one dime in Tom Cruises' pocket. And, I got to see Philip Seymour Hoffman as the villain, and he is sublime. I'll probably send him a dime in the mail

So. Anyway:

Good movie, I must say. Exciting and a very fine example of the action genre, which is a tired genre. Really, first rate action stuff and, in fairness, I must say I thought Cruise was excellent in it. Ving Rhames, in addition, is too cool for words.
Last edited by Dale on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I don't dislike Tom Cruise so much as I dislike what Scientology has done to Tom Cruise.

Whenever I want to see a Tom Cruise movie (which hasn't happened lately), I go to the theatre, and pay for something else, so the theatre isn't out any money, and just watch the Cruise movie instead.. It's an imperfect solution, but there you have it.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

He was in Rain Man. That's gotta count for something.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
djm

Post by djm »

The first film I saw Cruise in was Taps. I originally went to see it because I thought Timothy Hutton was such a fine actor. Cruise stood out as someone to watch for. I have not liked him in anything else since, although I have liked some of his films for various other reasons. The MI series are good for SFX.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Tom Cruise, Tom Cruise.... hmmmmm... nope, doesn't ring a bell....
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Dale, please assure me that this post isn't going to lead you to use that very scary avatar of Mr. Cruise again.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I have to agree, I think Tom Cruise is a very good actor, and MI III was very enjoyable.
I always think of Minority Report when I think of him, as I really enjoyed that movie as well... And Rainman was classic...

I don't think Tom Cruise's antics offscreen are something that would make me protest his movies..... nor would anyone else's antics, for that matter.

And Phillip Seymour Hoffmann ~ I'd watch him in anything *( even Magnolia :P ) He was especially good in The Talented Mr Ripley

M
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

Rain Man was an AWESOME movie--I watch it just to see the outstanding job Dustin Hoffman did.

To give credit where credit is due, Tom Cruise is an excellent actor...whether I like him as a person or not. To be honest, I don't bother listening to anything said about celebrities whether it be verbal, written, or reported. Too many are either publicity stunts or hype or just flat out malicious rumors.

Don't really have much interest in the lives of celebrities anyhow...they put on their pants one leg at a time same as everyone else--and I have my hands full keeping up with my own life.

And I don't go to theaters hardly ever anymore---but that's economics. I just can't see paying the high prices they charge when the movie will be out on cable year after next.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Tom Cruise, Tom Cruise.... hmmmmm... nope, doesn't ring a bell....
How could you forget this?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I'm still in the Anti-Cruise group. In my opinion, he's an egotistical sap and I won't send him a dime. To be fair, I feel the same way about Charleton Heston (although he doesn't need or care about my dime). Since his NRA presidency I simply can't watch any of his movies--including Will Penny, which was one of my all-time favorite westerns.

Susan
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Tom Cruise - okay journeyman actor - not Hall of Fame material.

We're a funny society. We expect too much from people. I want actors to act well, but I don't care about their politics or religion. I want politics to be honest and thoughtful, but I don't they can whether or sing or play football. I guess I have low standards and, maybe, lower expectations. For people that I only know because they're famous or celebratries all I want is for them to do their thing well, entertain or enlighten me, and, I suppose, avoid jail time for crimes against people.

I have higher expectations for family, friends, neighbors, co-workers and Chiff and Fipple.

If I had a daughter I'm pretty sure wouldn't want Tom Cruise to be the father of her child.
gonzo914

Re: A word, in fairness, about Tom Cruise

Post by gonzo914 »

Dale wrote: Good movie, I must say. Exciting and a very fine example of the action genre, which is a tired genre. Really, first rate action stuff and, in fairness, I must say I thought Cruise was excellent in it. Ving Rhames, in addition, is too cool for words.
I hated the first one because of what they did to Jim Phelps (and Jon Voight was a crappy Jim Phelps anyway), and I never saw the second because I was still PO'd about the first. But the kids wanted to see the third one, so I watched it with then a week or so ago.

It's an improvement over the first There's still too much James Bond stuff and things blowing up, which is not what the original series was about. But the caper in the Vatican was classic MI -- get in, get it done, get back out, and leave no trace of what you did. You could fast forward to where it starts, watch it, then take the disc back to the store, but then you would miss Philip Seymour Hoffman and Ving Rhames.

On a related note, a DVD edition of the first season of the television show becomes available in five days. It's on my Santa list. None of the interchangeable female leads in the movies can hold a candle to Cinnamon Carter.

And a reminder: The first season did not have Peter Graves as Jim Phelps. The MI leader was Dan Riggs, played by Stephen Hill.

Last edited by gonzo914 on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I'm really surprised that MIIII was decent. I had heard nothing about
it, so I thought no one saw it. After the uninhibeted crapfest that was
MI2, I wasn't going to touch it with a 10 foot poll (which is where
you ask 5 people about their shoe preferences).
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Dale, did you just admit to pirating movies? :lol:

Arrrr! Shiver me cable modems!
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Born On The Fourth of July

Terrific actor. Superb craftsman.

Perhaps I'm not aware of enough but
I'm not sure of anything he's done that merits
the level of hostility folks express toward him.
He was so in love that he jumped up and down
on a sofa on TV to show it! Oh No!

As mentioned he apologized to Brooke Shields.

You know, highly creative people aren't always
going to be so unkinky. Consider Russell Crowe.