The "Why Do I Call Bloomfield Bloomberg" Contest -

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The "Why Do I Call Bloomfield Bloomberg" Contest -

Post by PhilO »

Ok, I've done it again and repeatedly thru the years, and both whatever his name is and I have had enough. I am therefore initiating the referenced contest. As it is obvious that I harbor some deep rooted ulterior devious and nefarious reason for this continued slight upon our elder member Bloomsomething (it may have to do with the avatar), I will award a prize to that individual who puts forth the best (defined as most interesting, funniest, insightful, or inciteful) reason for this continued slip of the finger.

1. The winner will be decided by me in consultation with Bloomsomething.

2. The prize will consist of one cheapy but good whistle selected by me, and will include shipping.

3. The closing date for entries is midnight, Friday, December 15, 2006.

Good luck to all.

Philo

Congratulations FJohnSharp! In consultation with both Bloomfield and my home-from-college daughter (her consultation taking precedence), the winner has been chosen. He has uncannily intuited my love of both scrabble and the Yankees (lay down and die like dogs playoff performance and terrible starting player selection notwithstanding) which of course as can now plainly be seen accounts for my misnaming of Bloomfield. Good job!

Philo
Last edited by PhilO on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: The "Why Do I Call Bloomfield Bloomberg" Conte

Post by Bloomfield »

PhilO wrote:1. The winner will be decided by me in consultation with Bloomsomething.
By "consultation" you mean you'll do whatever the hell I tell you to do, right?

Oh, this is going to be fun.
/Bloomfield
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Bloomfield wrote:
PhilO wrote:1. The winner will be decided by me in consultation with Bloomsomething.
By "consultation" you mean you'll do whatever the hell I tell you to do, right?

Oh, this is going to be fun.
Exactly!

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

It's because you once watched The Electric Horseman with Robert Redford and Jane Fonda, and there was that moment where he referred to the Bloomingdales store as "Bloomberg's," which was done to demonstrate just how much a Real Cowboy he was, someone who paid no attention to fashion or big-city stuff. And so really, what this means is that, deep in your subconscious, you want to be a cowboy.
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Can (OK, OK Mom!) I mean . . .May we enter as many times as we like?
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Well, it's clear to me.

Bloomberg is a reputable source of financial and investment news.
Boomfield is a reputable source of whistle information.

I can see where it'd be easy to conflate the two in your mind.

Either that, or you're a sleeper operative of a super secret cabal partially funded by the WTO, secretly plotting to overthrow Dale as head of the One Whistle Government. You've been secretly fomenting rebellion among our otherwise peaceful ranks, silently funding both sides in the Cheapie vs Expensive whistle skirmishes, the Multiple-front Phil Hardy battles, and the Left versus Right handed playing border disputes in order to help weaken the otherwise near totalitarian control Dale has on our whistle buying decisions.

Your near-total devotion to topical posts in the whistle forum serves to cloak your true motives, your only 'tell' being the occasional reference to the conservative financial news outlet Bloomberg.

Yeah..that second one seems more likely.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Because you feel he has mayorly qualities about him.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

It's obvious to me that you think of him as a towering mountain of wit and sagicity rather than a flat field of conformity. :D
Mike
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

"Bloomberg" is really just a sounds-similar-and-it's-safer word for what's really on your mind: Bloomers.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

PhilO wrote:
2. The prize will consist of one cheapy but good whistle selected by me, and will include shipping.
Good luck to all.
Philo
How about you do it to have a contest to get rid of a whistle you can't sell, give away, and don't want to throw it away. Will the winner have to accept the whistle? :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Tommy wrote:
PhilO wrote:
Good luck to all.
Philo
How about you do it to have a contest to get rid of a whistle you can't sell, give away, and don't want to throw it away. Will the winner have to accept the whistle? :wink:
Don't look a gift whistle(r) in the mouth . . . especially if it's Father Emmet! :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

You really want to call him Dagenschlock but you're working up to it gradually.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

You refer to Bloomfield as "our elder member". At first I thought surely you must have meant "elderly". However, after further study, I have come to believe your unconscious is speaking here.
Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary wrote: Elder
a name frequently used in the Old Testament as denoting a person
clothed with authority, and entitled to respect and reverence
(Gen. 50:7). It also denoted a political office (Num. 22:7). The
"elders of Israel" held a rank among the people indicative of
authority. .....The "elder" is the
keystone of the social and political fabric wherever the
patriarchal system exists. At the present day this is the case
among the Arabs, where the sheik (i.e., "the old man") is the
highest authority in the tribe. ..... All down through
the history of the Jews we find mention made of the elders as
exercising authority among the people. ...

The "elders" of the New Testament church were the "pastors"
(Eph. 4:11), "bishops or overseers", "leaders" and
"rulers" (Heb. 13:7; 1 Thess. 5:12) of the flock. ...
Okay, what do you think of when you hear the words "office", "patriarchal", "highest", and "oversee"? I bet a very tall, erect office building comes to mind. One from which you can see over everything else. A skyscraper. Your unconscious is using the modern skyscraper or business tower as a symbol for the high, overseeing office of the "elder". It has translated social authority (oversight, high office) into the idea of physical authority (literal towering over, bigness) and then modernized the concept (a business tower).

Okay, you know that Bloomfield lives in New York City. Your unconscious thinks "Bloom......er, what the heck was it anyway? He is like a business tower in New York City.", and there you go. You have made an unconscious connection between "our elder member" and Bloomberg Tower which is a skyscraper in NYC. It is simple.

Bloomfield--->Bloomfield the Elder--->Bloomfield the Towering--->Bloomfield the Business Tower--->Skyscrapers in NYC---->Bloomberg Tower---->Bloomberg.

CLICK HERE--->Image
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

This is good so far.

Shadeclan - multiple entries will be considered on their respective individual merits, i.e., the weight of grouped entries will not increase your odds of winning.

Mike - sucking up to what's his name will get you nowhere fast in this contest!

Tommy - actually I do have one such whistle that I'd like to unload but unfortuneately it was not a cheapy (hmmm, whoever guesses which gets the whistle...ok, never mind), but would not do that. This will be a playable good quality cheapy - I have many of them of all kinds.

Philo
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

PhilO wrote:Mike - sucking up to what's his name will get you nowhere fast in this contest!
Oh no, it won't. On the contrary. :)
/Bloomfield