The P&M thread...please make "sticky"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Wombat wrote:
jsluder wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:Who is this Bloomberg you mention?
Perhaps he's implying that you're frigid. :twisted:
That'd be Icefield, wouldn't it?
Are you guys nuts? You are not allowed to talk about frigid icebergs here. It's not what the topic is about and how many bloody threads about Bloomfield's non-existant sex life can the chiffboard handle? Now a moderator will have to come and move this to another thread, so we can get back to talking about how moderators should be moving stuff to other threads.
/Bloomfield
gallant_murray
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The P&M thread...please make "sticky"

Post by gallant_murray »

Loren wrote:As for the griping about expensive whistles, I really am surprised that there's pages and pages of blathering on about it. What's the big frickin' deal? You don't like expensive whistles, don't buy 'em. Big whoop. Why the crusade? Did someone's old granny get duped into spending all her retirement money on the magical megabucks McChud Perfected whistle that she was told would instantly make her play like "fill in the name of your favorite whistle player here"??

Sheesh.

Loren
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that my thread turned into an argument. I really was going for a thoughtful and insightful discussion. Alas. I guess if one wades through some it, a few good points can be found.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Bloomfield wrote: Those who just want to see their astonishing insights displayed in glory unmarred by comments can get their own webpage.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Loren wrote: That's funny, because I no longer want to post serious answers to people's questions, or enter into discussions, since I always end up having to argue with people who don't have a clue. . .
Please don't stop. I learn a lot from you and I appreciate your "serious" posts.

You don't have to argue with idiots, you know! :P

Paul, I just don't see how it could work. As dfernandez77 said, the moving of posts would be too subjective and as Wombat pointed out, threads by one person could easily be banished to the P & M zone by someone with a grudge. I think that this could turn our beloved C&F into a war zone - a tool with which to administer revenge. :twisted:

One of the problems with any Utopian idea is that the idea generally requires or assumes that everyone has the same way of thinking about something. There are no ideas that everybody shares in common - even concerning self-preservation. While I don't like the personal attacks which occur on the board from time to time, I accept them as the natural consequence of interaction and I know that I would be cutting my own throat through any attempt to limit or confine it based on my own beliefs of what constitutes acceptable speech. I know that people's feelings get hurt from time to time, and I feel bad when I hurt somebody else (generally not on purpose, folks), but nobody has come up with a better way to do this yet and I sincerely doubt that anyone ever will.

I really hope everyone comes to understand this, and will continue to participate in C&F, even when their feelings are hurt - even if they have to:
brewerpaul wrote: . . .wade through the ichor and vitriol in search of what we're really looking for. . .
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ooh. "Ichor". Nice. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dDave

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

Or, you could just do what I do and stop reading a topic once it goes past three pages... :)

Best,

Dave
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

dDave wrote:Howdy,

Or, you could just do what I do and stop reading a topic once it goes past three pages... :)

Best,

Dave
Lucky you caught this one on page 2, eh? :thumbsup:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Re: The P&M thread...please make "sticky"

Post by dfernandez77 »

gallant_murray wrote:Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that my thread turned into an argument. I really was going for a thoughtful and insightful discussion. Alas.
You were going for what? *snicker*

Ok, ok - I'm teasing.

There's actually nothing wrong with, and much to be learned from, a good argument. We do a give and take thing all the time in spoken conversation. I think the fact that here it's in black and white for all to see makes it more prickly for some participants.

Heck, I've gotten into some disagreements, and I've insulted people more than a couple times I'm sure. Most notably some seemingly highly contentious three-ways with Peter and Wombat. Wombat is the best because the dude knows how to argue - offer a position supported by knowledge, experience, or sometimes personal preference. Peter is great for arguing preference because his preferences are no secret, and they are deeply held. And me, well I've such an unconventional universe between my ears that it's not hard to find something to bait me with, though 9 times out of 10 I won't take the bait - at least not without an "inscrutable smile."

Yet other times I've decided to temper my responses and comments - and I've noticed others give quarter, extend apologies, and even ignore things that are ripe for contention. If I've ever felt offended I usually conclude that one of us - me or my partner in the dance - is taking ourselves much to seriously. And that's always good for a chuckle.

We get to choose who comes into our house when we have a conversation there. Here we don't get to choose, and so we can expect (and shouldn't shrink from) a volley from any quarter. That's the nature of putting your junk out there for the world to see. One (wo)man's trash, etc., etc....

Heck, even Sesame Street has a Grouch. :evil:
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

It is more easy to ignore them.
Last edited by Tommy on Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

never mind
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
chas

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote:Ooh. "Ichor". Nice. :thumbsup:
My daughter has a flying unicorn named Magic who shoots "poison ooze" from her horn to stop wars.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

brewerpaul wrote:never mind
I got it Paul. It's very funny.

Best, John
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

What a C*** and s**t idea having a P**s and Moan site.

It would be a better idea to give a red star for each Moan,
Rant, or Belly-ache posted and when someone collects 5
stars exile them to the Squeeze Box forum for 6 month!!

Err - Emm - Doh - Oops!!!

How many red stars does that count up to?
Exiled to the squeeze-box forum - I'd never survive!
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

The "Chiff and Fipple Thunder Dome"... of course!

"B*tch and Wh*pple"??
"Pitch and Grapple"??
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Ooh. "Ichor". Nice. :thumbsup:
My daughter has a flying unicorn named Magic who shoots "poison ooze" from her horn to stop wars.
Poison ooze. Nice. I hope she appreciates the bitter irony of that.

Plus ça change, and all that good gig. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
DreamOgreen

Post by DreamOgreen »

I'd have to agree with Shadeclan on this one, also. The current way of the "lively" debates isn't perfect but educational and sometimes entertaining as long as we all make an honest effort to not get too personal in our disagreements. I've both learned a lot and been grateful for some of the threads on this board, even the contentious ones. Anyway, how else can we convinced about the absolute correctness of our own views without someone calling us on them now and then. :P