The P&M thread...please make "sticky"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

The P&M thread...please make "sticky"

Post by brewerpaul »

P&M stands for P*ss and Moan... I'm hoping that this becomes a sticky thread where people can take all their contentious issues.

Sean Doe posts something like "I just bought a high end Luxurio whistle and I think it sounds good". Immediately, someone else chimes in saying "You don't know what you're talking about. It wasn't made in Ireland by leprechauns, so it can't be traditional enough". Next thing you know, there are 18 pages of people arguing about the silly thing.

Julia Delaney posts "I heard The Warlords in concert the other night and really enjoyed it". Result: within 3 hours, people are calling each other names regarding her opinion, bloody bodies lie heaped in the corners, and the moderators, brutes that they are, have to lock the thread.

Now, with the P&M thread, as soon as an innocuous thread "goes bad" the moderators can simply transfer the conflict over to where people apparently love this sort of thing and the rest of us don't have to wade through the ichor and vitriol in search of what we're really looking for-- information on the original thread topic.

Just a thought...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
bdh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Post by bdh »

Sounds like a good idea... I'm just waiting for someone to tell me off for my rendition of "Waterman's" and "Inion Ni Scannlain"... :devil:
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
slowair

Post by slowair »

YES!!! Please.
slowair

Post by slowair »

YES!!! Please.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The P&M thread...please make "sticky"

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

brewerpaul wrote:
Sean Doe posts something like "I just bought a high end Luxurio whistle and I think it sounds good". Immediately, someone else chimes in saying "You don't know what you're talking about. It wasn't made in Ireland by leprechauns, so it can't be traditional enough". Next thing you know, there are 18 pages of people arguing about the silly thing.

Julia Delaney posts "I heard The Warlords in concert the other night and really enjoyed it". Result: within 3 hours, people are calling each other names regarding her opinion, bloody bodies lie heaped in the corners, and the moderators, brutes that they are, have to lock the thread.

I'm thinkin that's why the flute board is so BORING lately.
Too PC.
Lately, nobody wants to start any provocatave threads, or ones that try to describe what their flute looks like, sounds like, etc etc etc. They are worried someone will jump all over them with their "You numbskull, it's the player, not the flute" diatribe, and make things uncomfortable.

Threads are rarely locked there, but I have a feeling nobody wants to jump up with an opinion about much of anything lately.

But I look forward to those spicey threads!
Don't you get tired of the "I like my flute" (whistle), "oh, yes, I agree, by all means, I like it too" Chip and Dale threads???????

How I wish some of our olde regulars would come back.....

Mary

:party:
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:

I'm thinkin that's why the flute board is so BORING lately.
Too PC.
Lately, nobody wants to start any provocatave threads, or ones that try to describe what their flute looks like, sounds like, etc etc etc. They are worried someone will jump all over them with their "You numbskull, it's the player, not the flute" diatribe, and make things uncomfortable.

Threads are rarely locked there, but I have a feeling nobody wants to jump up with an opinion about much of anything lately.

But I look forward to those spicey threads!
Don't you get tired of the "I like my flute" (whistle), "oh, yes, I agree, by all means, I like it too" Chip and Dale threads???????

How I wish some of our olde regulars would come back.....

Mary

:party:
You've got some nerve refferring to the flute forum as boring, and I don't even hang there, baby! C'mon let's get it on; you don't know what yer talkin' about, see? (How's that?) :D

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I think it would be come too hard for the moderator to decide when a lively discussion has become P&M.

A discerning reader can move on to the next thread at their will.

Just my 2 cents.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote: I'm thinkin that's why the flute board is so BORING lately.
Too PC.
That's funny, because I no longer want to post serious answers to people's questions, or enter into discussions, since I always end up having to argue with people who don't have a clue.

Yeah, I suppose it is boring, but I can live without the excitement of having someone who's never made a decent instrument tell me they know better than I do.

I'm also no longer interested in offering suggestions on things like what CD's to buy, because the mods don't seem to appreciate the time spent doing this over and over and over again, enough to make things like that a sticky thread.

As for the griping about expensive whistles, I really am surprised that there's pages and pages of blathering on about it. What's the big frickin' deal? You don't like expensive whistles, don't buy 'em. Big whoop. Why the crusade? Did someone's old granny get duped into spending all her retirement money on the magical megabucks McChud Perfected whistle that she was told would instantly make her play like "fill in the name of your favorite whistle player here"??

Sheesh.

Loren
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

If you don't want to have a discussion, don't post to a discussion board.

Those who just want to see their astonishing insights displayed in glory unmarred by comments can get their own webpage. The beauty and the challenge of message boards are that the discussions are fickle and unpredictable. Go with the flow. I think it's an awful idea that moderators should purge threads of certain posts or types of posts just because whoever started the thread doesn't agree or didn't want to have that discussion. Once a post is out there, it's fair game for any comment.
Last edited by Bloomfield on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I don't think it will work, Paul. Absolutely any thread can go off the rails. Any thread can be made to go off the rails very easily. It's so easy I sometimes wonder what kind of person gets a kick out of it. Just misrepresent people persistently and mock them and sit back for a cheap laugh. We had a hit and run troll doing precisely that here yesterday.

If you have a special place for threads where that happens, it's then dead easy for someone malicious to make sure threads by people they don't like always end up there.

By just letting stuff happen, and leaving it, people do have to wade through a certain amount of silliness, but the good stuff in between doesn't get lost and can't be sabotaged by someone malicious.

Either you have iron-fisted moderation which I think few of us want, or you have to put up with a bit of garbage because there is always someone who wants to see how much they can get away with.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

dfernandez77 wrote:I think it would be come too hard for the moderator to decide when a lively discussion has become P&M.

A discerning reader can move on to the next thread at their will.

Just my 2 cents.
I think this sums up my position nicely.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Actually it's easy enough to avoid threads or parts of threads, so what's the big deal? Also, it seems more often than not, there's useful stuff in the worst of threads and people need an honest venting and feeling out every so often. As Bloomberg said (or implied), it's a natural process and it's ok. I even read every word of the tuning (just, etc.) thread, feeling every bit the ignorant lout in the corner, and got some level of enlightenment from it and found it interesting. I know that's not what we're talking about here, but it's an example.

Also, I don't know that it's particularly healthy to designate an area for really bad pointless bickering threads - let's take them as they come and continue to get at least some good or no harm from the worst of them. If bruised feelings are the concern, well we all have to buck up a bit and the moderators do step in when they or someone else notes a particularly bad taste or inappropriate thread direction.

Finally, if threads seem to at times blather on about the same old same old (how do I clean my whistle, clogging, which whistle is better, reverse snobbery re expensive whistles, ignorance re the music, etc.), so what? Life is rife with blather and we punctuate it with all manner of light, whimsical, helpful, candid, warm, poignant moments. If new people ask old questions, and you've the time and inclination to answer. perhaps even with a new twist, great. If not, so be it.

So long as I'm not forced to either read everything all the time or to respond all the time, I still enjoy this Board and the people on it immensely.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Who is this Bloomberg you mention?
/Bloomfield
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Bloomfield wrote:Who is this Bloomberg you mention?
Perhaps he's implying that you're frigid. :twisted:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

jsluder wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:Who is this Bloomberg you mention?
Perhaps he's implying that you're frigid. :twisted:
That'd be Icefield, wouldn't it?