Eb flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

Cathy Wilde wrote:A major chunk of Matt Molloy's first album is on an Eb, yes?
Yes, a lot of Matt Molloy's playing and recording over the years has been done in Eb. He's not alone in that - many Irish musicians tune up, not just flute players. Tommy Peoples does it a lot, Frankie Gavin I think always plays tuned to Eb (which makes it real interesting when he then plays tunes in other than their normal key on top of that), and there are quite a few bands who have made entire careers of it. Dervish has already been mentioned, and I believe Danu does so as well. DeDannan of course does so, thanks to the presence of Mr. Gavin in the band. (Is there something about bands whose name starts with D not wanting to play in D?) The Chieftains are well known for playing sharp of A440, but not all the way up to Eb.

There are several reasons that people play in Eb at least some of the time. It adds a bit of brightness to the overall sound, and on many instruments it's easier to play faster in Eb because the instruments are more responsive at the higher pitch due to tighter strings or shorter/tighter bore. And of course sometimes tuning in Eb serves as a way to limit the musicians that can join into a session situation. Some folks see this practice as exclusionary, and maybe it is, but often it can result in a better musical experience for everyone. One of the best instances of that that I've ever seen was one year on the midweek Boston Harbor cruise during the Gaelic Roots festival, when Kevin Crawford, Noel Hill and Paddy Glackin set up on one side of the main deck and started playing in Eb. They played there all by themselves for the entire duration of the 3+ hour cruise, literally until every other person onboard had left the boat after it docked. There was a bit of griping afterward from a few folks who thought they should have been able to join in, but they were vastly outnumbered by the crowd of listeners surrounding the three of them, which had the boat severely listing to starboard all night long. (It's a wonder we didn't all drown! :-> ) Anyway, that was some of the best music I've ever heard in my life. I only wish I'd had a recorder with me to capture some of it...
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

GaryKelly wrote:
Bart Wijnen wrote:
Unseen122 wrote: Yes it is.
:lol:

Glad it is , not it was, I think it's a nice band.

Bart
It is was. They no longer play in Eb since a piper joined them on their latest tour. They're now playing in concert pitch because of that.
Who is the piper?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've mentioned this but please let me rehearse it:

I have combined a seth gallagher head joint with
a Copley body, both from D flutes, and the result
is a truly delightful Eb flute. It's one of the best
flutes I have.

I've tried to account for why it plays in Eb in an earlier thread.
Anyhow frankenflutes can be surprising--you may have
more good flutes than you realize.
mimcgann

Post by mimcgann »

Try pulling out the head and see if you have a D flute.

When I push the head in all the way on my Paddy Ward flute I have, in efffect, an Eb.

Mike
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

mimcgann wrote:Try pulling out the head and see if you have a D flute.

When I push the head in all the way on my Paddy Ward flute I have, in efffect, an Eb.
Sometimes you can get away with pulling a flute designed to play in Eb out all the way and end up with a D flute. That's what Mike Rafferty does - he has an Olwell Eb and pulls it out to play in D. I knew that he had an Olwell for years (and all the story about how he got it - see the interview with him on Brad Hurley's flute site), but it wasn't until I saw him at the Comhaltas convention in Boston a few years ago that I discovered that his flute is actually an Eb!

But I wouldn't go buying an Eb by Olwell or anyone else just on the assumption you can get away with this (thereby getting two flutes for the price of one), because it doesn't always work. When you pull out too far, you may find that the flute is no longer in tune with itself.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I've an Eamonn Cotter E flat on the way this very week. He's made some of the best E flats I've played.

I had a great one of his before I made the dubious descision to sell it, then it got smashed up in the US mail... YEZ BASHTARDS!!!

If I think of it I'll post a message about it when it arrives... how 'dark' it sounds, the Gadobe antelope horn(dry season) type brittleness of the timbre, the ergonomics and how it suits my .8""span, how it has improved my depression, social life, alcoholism, halitosis etc. etc...

Regards,

Harry.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well said. Flutes are Christmas.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I'm having fun with the Butler F that I got for my daughter (shhh... Christmas present!) with its newly made endcap and lower ring. The embouchure's different enough from my D that I'm not making it sound as good as my D, or quite possibly it's not the flute my D is.

I like the idea of an Eb. My right hand feels more relaxed just thinking about it. But sounds like I'd have to get good enough to become a soloist, as none of my music friends have instruments that can play in that key.

Doesn't part of the appeal come from increased efficiency and ergonomics for the player?

Jennie
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

mimcgann wrote:Try pulling out the head and see if you have a D flute.

Mike

You'd have to do a lot of lipping to play it in tune that way.

Loren
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Unseen122 wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:
Bart Wijnen wrote: :lol:
Glad it is , not it was, I think it's a nice band.
Bart
It is was. They no longer play in Eb since a piper joined them on their latest tour. They're now playing in concert pitch because of that.
Who is the piper?
Sadly I dunno, Avery... this is an email I got from Tom Morrow a couple of months ago where he mentioned it:
Tom Morrow wrote:Sent: 27 September 2006 20:44
To: Kelly, Gary
Subject: Re: Fiddle

hi,

until quite recently, we tuned up to Eb.
i have never noticed any damage or long term damage to the instrument, but you must bear in mind that not every fiddle would be suitable for this
tuning. the fiddle i had was quite sturdy. the extra pressure on the
body is noticable, it makes the instrument less resonant.

we have began playing in D for the last year, due to having to play with a
piper for a number of tours, and we've just stayed in D.
You could try asking Dervish via the contact link on their website: http://www.dervish.ie/contacts.htm

Very nice people, they'll even respond politely to stoopid questions from eejits like me :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"Having never played an Eb, what do other people think here? Does the Eb sound nicer to you as a solo instrument? "

Definitely not. I think Eb is a horrible, screechy, and unnecessary key, possibly damaging to the ears, and much I prefer to play, and listen to instruments in D, or failing that Bb 8) . Eb and F is like fife territory to me, completely lacking in soul and balls, and depth.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I feel that way about F flutes.

I have an Eb flute that I like, however, but rarely play it.
It's nice to have though, kind of like the Bb.

M :party:
brendan

Post by brendan »

Hello everybody,

I recently got a new 6 keyed Murray E flat, which I have to say is one very easy flute to play. I played a few sessions with it and played it for about a month or so after I received it and to tell you the truth it has not been played since. This is not because its a bad flute or its hard to play I dont really know what it is but theres just something that keeps me going to open the D flute case.

My favourite flute key to play in is C I just love it, theres something about the depth in it and I also like B flat but C just does it for me. I dont want to part with the 6 Keyed E flat Murray but if I never played it for long periods of time I would rather see it going to a good home were somebody could play the S..t out of it.

Just my 2 Ds worth, C u all later ( ha ha )

Brendan Mulholland
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Seriously, that's the tragedy about an Eb for punters like me. Once Loren (with a little assist by rama) helped resolve my Hammy's identity crisis (an Eb trapped in a D lifestyle -- :boggle:! -- transgendered flutes? What next?), I said "BONUS! COOL! I've got an Eb!" Talk about flutes being like Christmas!

But I think I've played it fewer than 15 times since, basically enough to keep it in working order. And it's sad, because it also happens to be the handsomest flute I own, just a pleasure to look at. And much more rewarding now that I try to play it to maximize its sweet Ebness rather than trying to pound it into a darker D-like mold.

So for me, at least at this point in my puntership, I think if 1) you're a solo player like Harry, etc., and are good enough to have people accompany YOU; or 2) have friends who have extra fiddles or don't mind tuning up and down, Ebs are fantastic. But ... in reality, 1) ain't gonna happen in MY life, and 2) doesn't seem to be very frequent at this point, either.

Alas. So while I'd almost kill for a Cotter or Murray Eb, I can't justify it. In fact, I really ought to send the Hammy on as well.

Sigh.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.