Pat Olwell Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

vomitbunny wrote:What happens if you die befor the flute gets finished?

The rest of us on the list get our flutes that much sooner.

Loren
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

If you pay upfront with a little extra just in case, perhaps they will exhume your corpse and put the flute in the coffin with you.
William Bajzek
daveogden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by daveogden »

Has anyone on the list ordered an Olwell keyless within the last 3 years and received it? I'm just curious. If he's delivering keyless flutes with tuning slides in 14 months as someone already stated, then I don't understand why I've waited over 2 1/2 years for a prepaid order for just a headjoint (not even the barrel!). I wonder if he went and sold my Hawkes on ebay to someone by mistake after misplacing my order. Geez.
withak
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by withak »

Loren wrote:

Hm, I wonder if they would give out the names of the people ahead of you. :)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:lol: We're all such nice folks, we don't want to be pests, etc., etc. .... but as a formerly self-employed freelance writer, it does help to let people know you're still alive. The Olwellians (sort of like the Roycrofters? :-)) probably get all kinds of people calling and dropping in, etc. (a certain Irish flutemaker I also adore runs into this as well ... I bet it happens to a lot of them) all the time ... and while they probably don't like being pestered and NEED their time to work, they can also forget if you're not on the radar.

So ... why not drop them a note once in a while and let them know you're still around? No need to be a pain in the posterior, but a little reminder probably doesn't hurt their focus, either. It only takes a minute, and it might help sidestep misunderstanding and/or resentment on both sides, which is good for everyone's mental health.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

withak wrote:
Loren wrote:

Nobody who orders an Olwell dies before it's finished.
It's a fringe benefit to make up for the waiting list.
eilam

Post by eilam »

jim stone wrote:
withak wrote:
Loren wrote: The rest of us on the list get our flutes that much sooner.

in that case, i'm going to place an order for keyed Wilkes, and extend my life expectancy !!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

eilam wrote:
jim stone wrote:
withak wrote:
in that case, i'm going to place an order for keyed Wilkes, and extend my life expectancy !!
:lol: It's probably still cheaper than life insurance!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
carrie

Post by carrie »

clearcreek1 wrote:They're at 1945 Crabtree Falls Hgwy, Massies Mill, VA 22954, or P.O. Box 117, Nellysford, VA 22958.
Does anyone know the better address to send a flute for tweaking?

Thanks!

Carol
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

clearcreek1 wrote:Has anyone on the list ordered an Olwell keyless within the last 3 years and received it?
I received one in May 2005, which I ordered in March of 2004.

I've been waiting at least that long for an Eflat midsection for the same flute.

You might want to call him up.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

clearcreek1 wrote:Has anyone on the list ordered an Olwell keyless within the last 3 years and received it? I'm just curious. If he's delivering keyless flutes with tuning slides in 14 months as someone already stated, then I don't understand why I've waited over 2 1/2 years for a prepaid order for just a headjoint (not even the barrel!). I wonder if he went and sold my Hawkes on ebay to someone by mistake after misplacing my order. Geez.
Yes, I ordered a keyless blackwood C flute with no tuning slide from Patrick sometime in the summer of 2004, and went down to the Olwell Theme Park in Massies Mill to pick it up in early June 2005.

Regarding your missing or delayed flute, have you contacted him at all since you originally placed and paid for your order, or are you just sitting by the phone waiting for a call from him? It's always a good idea to keep in touch with Patrick periodically regarding your order. Just not too often - you don't want to be annoying. Mistakes and lost orders do happen occasionally in his shop, but never intentionally or with malicious intent. Nobody's entirely perfect, and Patrick saves a lot of his own stash of perfection to use on the flutes. So give him a call and ask about it, rather than asking here...
cocusflute

Call him, don't whine here

Post by cocusflute »

Call him, don't whine here.
Olwell at: 434 277 9215.
Annoy, annoy!
eilam

Post by eilam »

cocusflute, i like you posts,
and your directness (i hope thats a real word).

BTW - i got a Cocus Nicholson with "French slid" around 6-8 months ago, and waited for it around 14 months.
talked to Patrick on the phone a few times in between.

eilam.
daveogden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by daveogden »

"Regarding your missing or delayed flute, have you contacted him at all since you originally placed and paid for your order..."

Yes, I've been in touch via phone or email about every 6 to 12 months. I'll give him a call after the holidays. Thanks for the advice.
cocusflute

Waiting

Post by cocusflute »

Thanks, Eilam. I think "directness" is perfect the way you used it.

Clearcreek - 6-12 months is far too long to go without contacting a man about something for which you were willing to wait a long time. Matt Molloy contacts Olwell fairly frequently, which is one reason - rank notwithstanding- that Molloy might get what seems preferential treatment.
Just call Olwell - Flute Fantasy Division - and tell the person who answers that you're only checking in. Then get off the phone. You want your name to be current without being considered a time-waster. Send him a Ramadan card (actually Happy Eid).
Not-calling can be perceived as a lack of interest. Many people buy other flutes during their long wait and refuse the Olwell when it comes their turn. So stay on top of it.