whistles that can be heard in sessions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

whistles that can be heard in sessions

Post by eedbjp »

What are some well made whistles that can be heard no problem in a session? Susato and Burke come to mind from my own experience. What about Sindt, Hoover, Sweet, and some of the other models?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

It would be easier to ask what whistles can't be heard well in a session... :lol:

Eric
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

Good thinking. What whistles are hard to hear in a session?
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Hoovers are hard to hear. A lot depends on how many are playing.
Short bio: 1952-
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Heard: Overton, Reyburn, Copeland

Not Heard: Depends on the volume of the other folks.

You're looking for something with presence that will not get lost among the other instruments. The three I mentioned will do it for sure - and as you said, there are more.

Cheers,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Hoovers and Sindts are on the quiet side and will not be heard in all sessions. Water Weasels can be heard pretty well so can Black Diamonds.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Rather than buying a louder whistle, try sitting in a corner or with your back to a wall. Loud whistles will rarely be appreciated unless the player is a real expert.
William Bajzek
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Sindts are perfectly adequate for all but the hugest sessions. It's important to remember that the whistler himself/herself has the hardest time hearing the whistle. Also, if you play in a session you should blend in and not actually be able to hear yourself stand out (except on bum notes). Overtons and Susatos tend to be too lound, imho.
/Bloomfield
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Good session whistles for being heard "above" the session: Overton, O'Brien narrow bore brass, Syn, Susato (IF you can play and control it!), Burke (not overwhelmingly loud but cuts through because of its purity, ditto for some Hoovers), Feadog, Oak.

Good session whistles for blending your sound into the session (which is a good thing too!): Generation, Elfsong, Clare, O'Brien whistles except for the narrow bore brass, Black Diamond (if it's a larger session, otherwise it's a "cut through" whistle).

I'm doubtlessly leaving many whistles out; if I forgot to mention your favorite, my apologies, and rest assured it's an oversight, not a deliberate omission. Also I don't feel qualified to comment on whistles I've not actually owned.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, I've been surprised by how well the Sindt D does
in sessions.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

peeplj wrote:I don't feel qualified to comment on whistles I've not actually owned.
Same goes for me.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Abells tend to be on the louder side.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Jayhawk wrote:It would be easier to ask what whistles can't be heard well in a session... :lol:

Eric
The only ones that cant be heard are the ones not being played.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Sindts work in medium sessions because they have a crisp voice than can cut through. Cheiftains are a great session whistle. I think my Humphrey wide-bore Stealth does just fine. Busmans are loud enough most of the time. Narrow-bore whistles have a harder time cutting through...

Unless you are in a big, rowdy session, most whistles will do. At the session I frequent, I don't need a loud whistle, but that's me...

-Casey :D
Life is good.