Secret Santa gifts

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chrisoff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Secret Santa gifts

Post by chrisoff »

Has anyone got any good suggestions for a secret santa gift? I've recently started a new job so I don't really know everyone well enough to guage how easily offended they are so it would be best to keep it clean.

We're not being allocated people to buy gifts for either so it should be suitable for men and women. And cost under £5 (guess that's about $10).

I'm completely stuck. I've been browsing gift sites all through lunch and can't come up with anything.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

A whistle?

I have found that bandannas always get used for something, but that doesn't seem right either.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
emmline

Post by emmline »

Package of organic coffee.
Attractive mug.
Box of chocolates.
Car ice scraper.
Screwdriver with interchangeable bits.
Small useful flashlight.
Booklight.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

emmline wrote:Package of organic coffee.
Attractive mug.
Box of chocolates.
Car ice scraper.
Small useful flashlight.
Booklight.
:lol: Wow! I wouldn't have been able to think of a thing. This is a nice list. Okay, chrisoff, pick up whichever one is handiest on your way home and cross another task off your list. Whew! Yay!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I.D.10-t wrote:A whistle?
That's what I was gonna suggest: an inexpensive high D whistle (e.g., Generation), along with a list of websites like Chiff & Fipple, Brother Steve, etc..
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Airline-size bottles of whiskey or whisky. I believe they are 5cl, a little over 1.5 ounces. It's only one drink, but I'd rather have a shot of good whiskey or whisky than another coffee mug.

For £5 you can probably get someone a damn fine drink.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Goes to prove that women seem to be better at having gift ideas than men.

The last time I did this, I gave a handwarmer. My limit was £5 and this thing was £3 or thereabouts. It is plastic and in the shape of a heart, and big enough to hold in your hand and warm it. Inside the plastic is a little metal clip. You click this clip and it triggers a crystalization process of the liquid in the plastic, which gives off heat as it crystallizes. When it's done you have to boil it so it goes soft again, and leave it to cool gently. It has allegedly a hundred uses. My daughter uses one as she waits for the school bus.

You get them from the toy shop. Small Lego boxes (for about a fiver) or Playmobil ditto will do for younger "Secret Santa" fodder. At a pinch they will do for some adults as well. For purchases of under a fiver, the toyshop is a good place to look.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

emmline wrote:Package of organic coffee.
Attractive mug.
Box of chocolates.
Car ice scraper.
Small useful flashlight.
Booklight.
Chocolates are a possibility, I think the rest are a bit too practical for something that's supposed to be a bit of fun. I'd like to get something a bit silly or unusual to be honest as most people will be well on their way to drunk when these are handed out.

A whistle is a good one. Could get a cheap one for a couple of quid but then there's no guarantee the recipient will have any interest in playing it and I also hesitate to give potentially loud and irritating (when in the wrong hands) things to drunk people as presents.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

chrisoff wrote:... I also hesitate to give potentially loud and irritating (when in the wrong hands) things to drunk people as presents.
Kazoo. :twisted:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Small Lego boxes (for about a fiver) or Playmobil ditto will do for younger "Secret Santa" fodder. At a pinch they will do for some adults as well. For purchases of under a fiver, the toyshop is a good place to look.
Ooh, I like the lego idea. There's a toymaster across the road from here...
djm

Post by djm »

Best check the Yankee Swap thread for jokes.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

emmline wrote: Screwdriver with interchangeable bits.
Yeah, there's some really cool ones out there. :D
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hm, maybe I'll give a whistle for my secret santa...but as I think I'm the only one in the office that can play one, it might give away the secret!
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

chrisoff wrote:I'd like to get something a bit silly or unusual to be honest as most people will be well on their way to drunk when these are handed out.
we had Secret Santa at one of our office parties, and everybody was fighting over the Chia Pet I brought.

M :party:
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Chia Pet is awesome. I think a Barbie would be cool. Or coloring books. You could do one of those classic handheld games--we got my mom one of these for Christmas last year, and she loves it:

oh Lana Turner we love you get up