Great Tunes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Great Tunes

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I'm searching for lesser-known great tunes. By great I mean melodic or evocative, different, "Je ne sais quoi" (I don't know what I'm talking about). We're all familiar with the hoary old chestnuts that get trotted out at sessions....of necessity I have to say, because these are the tunes most folks know. But recently I was introduced by this board to "Hole in the Wall", a great English tune. I love it. Other tunes I've grown to love are "Windbroke" (Lunasa) and "Comb Your Hair and Curl It" (found it on a Chieftains CD) and "Crested Hens". Our little band has also gotten fond of a couple of Breton En Dro's.
Can anyone contribute to the list.
Short bio: 1952-
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The Sporting Days of Easter is a good one, it is on Mike McGoldrick's Wired album. Anything for John Joe is another, I don't know where I got it from. Devanny's Goat is also good, I learned it from a friend. I am sure I know more, I seem to know a bunch of weird tunes. Just thought of one as I was typing, I Shall Ne'er Ween Her there are three versions I have heard, John Williams, Lunasa, and Dervish.
markbell

Post by markbell »

I'm fond of Campbell's Farewell, and also the Load O' Hay polka.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

one of my current favorites is a jig called Paddy McMahon's that I got from Jimmy Noonan. he taught it to me in D, but on his cd, The Maple Leaf: Irish Traditional Music from Boston, it's in some other key (not sure what, I just know I can't play along with the cd).

Famous Last Words on Mike McGoldrick's Wired album is another favorite. but it's in 7/8, so definitely not something you'd want to attempt at a session :wink:

hm, I also like a lot of Rory Campbell's tunes that he composes. (Scottish piper/whistle player with Old Blind Dogs).

there are lots of great tunes out there that not many people play. so many tunes so little time!

cheers,
Sara
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

Unseen122 wrote:Anything for John Joe is another, I don't know where I got it from.
That is a good tune, CT. I learned that from John Skelton back in the day, and if I remember correctly it's on his "A Few Tunes" book/CD set. Another good one I learned from him is "Donald McLennan's Tuning Phrase". I'm not sure if either of those are on any of The House Band's CD's though.

Edit: A couple others that are on Skelton's "One At A Time" CD that are nice tunes are "Peadar O'Riada's Jig" and a breton tune (done on bombarde and pipe organ) called "Son Ar Skorff".

That entire CD is simply delightful.
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Ok old mate you asked for it,
get these up ya
Palm sunday, lunasa....one of my current fav's
cathal McConne's
Eddie Kelly's #2, this one rocks, the inbuilt rythmn is great, and there is so much you can do with it.

and

The Queen of Sluts...yes it is a tune, and a fine one,
And i just love
Contentment is wealth, not only cos the title is so true, but also the tune does the name justice in its poetic sound,
like all fine tunes, its best not rushed, let the lilt carry you to annother land and annother time,
sigh!!!,
i love music

All available on JC's

Enjoy
David :)
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Hey Boomerang, Palm Sunday is one of my favs too.
Thanks to all for their contributions. I'll look them all up.
Short bio: 1952-
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Palm Sunday and Cathal McConnel's (Slip Jig in F#min) are favorites of mine too.