Patrick Olwell Bamboo flute on Ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

bradhurley wrote:Hey, I happened to save a reverb-free version as well. Loren, this one's for you.

Well, you're certainly playing in the "Irish Style" :P Care to play the same thing (with no reverb) on that Bb you've got, driving it just as hard? A bit of lip overdrive alone, does not the wooden Irish flute sound make :wink:

Loren
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

JS wrote:Given the prices the Olwell bamboos are going for these days, are there any other makers whose bamboo flutes are a near match for them, especially in being suited to playing trad music?

Thanks.

Dunno. I have an Erik the Flutemaker G flute that I really love. It was like $50 or something. And, I just won an Erik low-D on eBay for $11.07. Can't go too wrong for that price. As long as I don't play an Olwell and get spoiled, I'll probably enjoy 'em. :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

http://www.eriktheflutemaker.com/Irish_Flute.htm

He advises these for folks with large hands only.

Haven't played them. I've played lots of cane flutes, as I lived
in India. I hope nobody will take me to be knocking Pat or
his cane flutes when I say I don't see much non-cosmetic difference
tween competently done cane flutes.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

JS wrote:Given the prices the Olwell bamboos are going for these days, are there any other makers whose bamboo flutes are a near match for them, especially in being suited to playing trad music?
Rhiannon bamboo flutes by Chris Dawson are on par with Pat Olwell's bamboo flutes both in sound and finish. When Flook was in town Brian Finnegan offered up his artillery for trial. He had a Rhiannon G# that he played the %*@# out of. The finish was almost identical to my Olwell bamboo flute... that glossy, amber glow. Brian Finnegan played a bamboo Olwell D exclusively for some time.

Jean-Michel Veillon also plays Rhiannon flutes on his CDs.

Chris Dawson's info is on Brad Hurley's site.

Scroll down the forum and find the thread on William Miller's bamboo flutes. They are on par with the Pat Olwell's "Ren Fest" flutes.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

I have one of Chris Dawson's bamboo flutes in G and it's an awesomely powerful little sucker. You could knock over tall buildings with it; it's turbocharged.

However, Chris told me a few years ago that he has never been able to find a source of cane for flutes bigger than F; he wasn't offering D flutes. I don't know if that has changed, or even if he is still making flutes, but the little ones really are amazing.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Cool! In retrospect, I think it was at least six or seven years ago that Chris and I were talking about his bamboo flutes; I'm glad he has since found a source of longer cane.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Wow...a blast from the past...the seller got this bamboo Olwell from me, years ago. We traded. There was no cash involved.
~JessieD
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This is silly. I'm starting to want one of these things.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

jim stone wrote:This is silly. I'm starting to want one of these things.
Of course you do.

In fact Im going to dig out my shakuhachi when I get home just for kicks.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
toddyboy50

Post by toddyboy50 »

I recently emailed Chris Dawson regarding a D flute, and he has been unable to locate a good bamboo supply for these flutes, so nothing available from him at this time - sounded like he'd be glad to make some flutes if he can get the right bamboo - Tod
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

toddyboy50 wrote:I recently emailed Chris Dawson regarding a D flute, and he has been unable to locate a good bamboo supply for these flutes, so nothing available from him at this time - sounded like he'd be glad to make some flutes if he can get the right bamboo - Tod
Dang... it would be fun to get a nice bamboo flute...

-Casey
Life is good.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

dyersituations wrote:
Dang... it would be fun to get a nice bamboo flute...

-Casey
Aren't you living in RomyB country?

M
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

toddyboy50 wrote:I recently emailed Chris Dawson regarding a D flute, and he has been unable to locate a good bamboo supply for these flutes, so nothing available from him at this time - sounded like he'd be glad to make some flutes if he can get the right bamboo - Tod
I was just visiting my folks' house in Connecticut over Thanksgiving. My brother had planted a little corner of the meadow with bamboo a few years back, just for kicks. It's now a substantial green swathe, and he went to cut some of it back so that it wouldn't take over as a non-endemic species.

So once you have the right bamboo, I'll plant it there for you and sell it back at twice the price! :D

Jennie
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

The drift I get from Romy's website is that he doesn't make an 'Irish' style bamboo flute.