Who wanted an olivewood whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Hi-- someone contacted me about an olivewood whistle a while back. I told him/her that I did not have a source of suitable wood, but I just found one. Also Mopane, Cocobolo, and Pink Ivory ( a pink wood, not actually Ivory).
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

Actually, it was mentioned in the previous thread reviewing your whistles.

-- Scott
goesto11
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by goesto11 »

I think it was Walden.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Yes, I mentioned olive wood in the previous thread concerning his whistles. Looking at his whistles, I thought they'd look great in olive wood...but the pink ivory would look good too...maybe even better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Walden on 2002-10-01 12:07 ]</font>
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Man, pink ivory is a gorgeous looking wood and makes great sounding instruments!

Paul, is it much more expensive than african blackwood?

Skip Healy made himself a 10 hole fife from pink ivory that is just an awesome instrument. If anyone here hits the lottery and is wondering what to get me for Christmas, the Healy 10 hole deluxe (with the embouchure cutaway) in pink ivory would be very nice.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Pink ivory is VERY expensive but I don't know how much african blackwood is so I can't compare.

I was fortunate enough to get a few pink ivory scraps from a woodworking friend for use in my pen making. But the stuff is very difficult to work with and I haven't gotten a round tuit yet.

If I'm not mistaken, pink ivory changes color over time. Is there a wood treatment to prevent this, Paul?
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Here is a picture of Pink Ivory being turned to make a set of Pipes. From http://www.bagpipeworks.com.

Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Beth, I'm in the furniture end of the woodworking business and woods tend to darken with age, especially when exposed to sunlight. Most of the high quality finishing materials use VU (ultravoilet) inhibitors but that does little for woods like Cherry that can change 10 shades from just one day in direct sunlight. If you have a piece of wood to experiment with... lay a coin on a board and place it in the sun for 4+ hours, take a look at it the following day and you'll see a mark where the coin was.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I'm going to ask Skip the questions about darkening and get back to you guys. He's been playing that pink ivory fife for a couple of years and it still looks mighty pink to me. It will probably take a couple of days for an answer because Skip is giving a seminar this weekend (I can't go because of work, damn it).
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Paul I think the real question would be:

Who WOULD'NT want one of your whistles in Olivewood?

Keep up the good work :grin:

Doc
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Thanks Doc-- actually I was thinking of making one of those for myself! All I have right now is one of my earlier prototypes in Tulipwood. Plays just fine, but does not look exactly like my current whistles.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!