Christmas (or other holiday) lights

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

When you get out a string of lights, and only half to three-quarters of the lights work, do you:

A. Check for missing or broken bulbs and replace, then give up on the string if that doesn't work.
19%
B. Do A, then start replacing bulbs until the string works or until you have replaced all the bulbs.
19%
C. Use the half lit string anyway, hiding the bad bulbs.
14%
D. Save the bulbs and throw away the wire
No votes
E. Throw away the whole thing
11%
F. I hire somebody to do the lights so it's their problem
No votes
G. I don't put up lights.
38%

Total votes: 37

Charlene
antispam: No

Christmas (or other holiday) lights

Post by Charlene »

What do you do when a string of lights only partially works?

I check for missing/broken bulbs, then start replacing lights in the hopes of getting it working. Sometimes my husband will take the partial strings and use them outside, hiding the ones that don't light. If I can't get the whole string to light, I tend to save the bulbs and throw away the wire. Lately, though, since I have several hundred spare bulbs,I've been throwing away the whole thing, bulbs and all.

If I do that enough, I"ll have an excuse to buy the new LED lights!
Charlene
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Four votes and only 1 (mine) is not "don't put up lights".

You savages
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

FlyingC wrote:You savages
I guess it is un-American of us not to want to further deplete the earth's resources and increase global warming by unnecessarily adding to the existing levels of light pollution over our cities.

Besides, I'm as lazy as the day is long. :lol: (but isn't all this tree-hugger crap handy when you need it? :wink: )

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I just don't understand Christmas lights.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

The near-slave labor used to make the little lights is such that they are cheaper to buy a new set than bother with trying to diagnose and fix em. Very sad.

I have become too lazy to get worked up about mounting them. We bought our house in 02 and I havent put any up yet. One side of me thinks they are wasteful, but another side tells me to get with the program and add to seasonal excitement. Our house is a corner one, with a long visible roofline, so I could do the whole toy thing etc etc.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I recall one year when one of my brothers, I think it was, decided he'd had it with the Christmas lights thing and decided not to put them up. One of the neighbor ladies took umbrage at this and hissed at him, "What, aren't you even Christian??". :lol:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
emmline

Post by emmline »

I voted the first choice, but this only pertains to strings of lights for the Christmas tree. We are minimalists where Christmas (and most other stuff!) is concerned.
missy

Post by missy »

I didn't vote - Tom is the one in charge of the outside lights. Usually, if he can't get a strand to light in about 5 minutes of messing with it, he tosses it and buys another.
As for the inside, we bought a fiber optic tree a couple of years ago. NO MORE STRANDS OF LIGHTS!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I have no problem with replacing bulbs in strings, but we bought
some of those net lights for our bushes, and those suckers are rife
with short circuits. We threw 3 nets away this year, because it was
obviously not a problem fixed with new bulbs. Bleh.
Nanohedron wrote:I recall one year when one of my brothers, I think it was, decided he'd had it with the Christmas lights thing and decided not to put them up. One of the neighbor ladies took umbrage at this and hissed at him, "What, aren't you even Christian??". :lol:
Ha! One neat thing about our neighborhood is that there are a few
Hindu families who put up lights for Diwali in October. That'll
confuse the folks who complain about the stores starting Christmas
too early!
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I think that's a great idea- people put up lights for their own celebrations- That'll confuse the majority of people
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

fel bautista wrote:I think that's a great idea- people put up lights for their own celebrations- That'll confuse the majority of people
I think everyone should string up lights for Groundhog Day. That way, poor little Phil will always see his shadow, and we'll get a long winter every year. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

fel bautista wrote:I think that's a great idea- people put up lights for their own celebrations- That'll confuse the majority of people
Yeah, we could have lights year 'round!

Neighbor: "Smith, when you gonna take yer lights down?"
Smith: "What? I'm Discordian, I'm celebrating Jake Day!"
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Congratulations wrote:I just don't understand Christmas lights.
It's like this. It all started with Judas Macabee and there was a miracle of the oil and so people started burning lamps and then candles. Then the idea of lighting houses caught on. After the electric light bulb was invented, people went to using those, so they didn't have to rebuild their houses year after year.
Reasonable person
Walden
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I suppose if I lived in the Southern Hemisphere I wouldn't bother because then it would be summer and light and warm. But since I'm up in the Northern US and it's cold and dark and snowy I like the bright lights.

I started this because I just spent hours over this past week trying to get lights working - and this morning the lights on the outside tree went out! GRRR! I was going to try to see if I could troubleshoot it today on my day off, but I'm stuck working at my husband's bookstore (on my day off from my paying job) because he has to take his mother out shopping.

(edited to remove some silly code that this sticky keyboard put in!)
Charlene
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I voted that I throw them away then realized ya'll meant outside lights. I don't have them. Sometimes I'll put a floodlight on the house, but I never string lights. (it doesn't fit the era of the house you know, and my obsessiveness prevents it)

I have lights on the tree - although I did not grow up with lights on the tree, we never had them as kids.

But, I have my own second tree, ala 1950s, with bubble lights, the big colored bulbs, glass ornaments, and tinsel galore. This is the tree everyone else in the family hates.

I do love looking at folks lights at night, so I'm glad someone does it.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West