Oak Fipple Question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CapnDistracto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Oak Fipple Question

Post by CapnDistracto »

Did a search and couldn't find any hard information on (some) of this.

I purchased an oak D from a local music store back over the summer and only recently attempted to remove the fipple to see about possibly purchasing a whitecap from Mr. Hoover.

My first question is in regard to a thin piece of plastic inserted into the windway by the manufacturer, right along the top of the windway. I can't quite figure out a way to remove this. As a "drooly" whistle, it traps condensation between itself and the fipple, making the whistle sound like it's choking when I attempt to play it. Is this common among Oaks?

Second question is in regards to getting the fipple off. Even with the warm water trick, the act of removing the fipple ended up being a trade off for a chunk of flesh from my left index finger. That thing was on TIGHT. Underneath, the top inch and a half or so of the whistle was all rough brass, no nickel plating, and the brass itself appeared to be almost threaded like a screw. Is this also the norm? After replacing the fipple I found that even though the glue seal was broken, it remains a mighty struggle even after attempting some cork grease on it.

I really like the sound of the Oak, but this doesn't seem to add up to the easy tuning mentioned on the package by sliding the fipple up, or the ease of putting another fipple on the body. Any info would be appreciated, and if a picture would be more helpful, I can try to take and upload it.

Thanks!

Matt
When life gives you lemons...
... Throw'em the hell back until it gives you the damn oranges you asked for in the first place.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I cannot speak to the plastic piece, but I've always found the heads to be very hard to remove from the Oaks. My best method, which hasn't always worked, is wrap the tube and head in rubber bands spaced about half an inch apart, large ehough for my whole hand to grip, then use the hot water technique. The rubber bands usually give me enough grip to get it off (but not always. I have one now whose head I cannot remove at all).

When I had Mack make me a White cap for one, he said that there is a slight flring on the head end of the tube, which he has turned down for me when fitting it to a White Cap. I suspect that is the cause of the difficulties.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Is this piece of plastic in the windway transparent?

If so, it's probably part of the box, which has gotten stuck there. Oak whistles come in a clear plastic box that has tabs at both ends that fit inside the whistlehead and tube to hold the whistle straight in the box.

Best wishes,
Jerry
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The plastic strip must be stuck. Usually, they are part of the packing of the whistle and you can easily pull them straight out.

You will definitely find the whistle improves if you can get the plastic strip out!!!

--James

P.S. Hiya, Jerry--we posted right about the same time. Great minds think alike, and all that. :)
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

I've successfully removed 3 Oak fipples using the hot water trick, but it wasn't easy. I partially melted one Oak fipple because the water was too hot, and I still couldn't get it off (it was a friend's whistle, so no loss). Even after removing them they were still too tight to be considered easily tunable, but I took some very fine sandpaper and sanded down the inside of the fipple where it fits on the tube, and now it moves easy enough for tuning. Even with all this trouble they're still my favorite cheap whistle, sometimes it's all I play.

The tubes on all of mine are nickel-plated from end to end, I'm surprised that on yours the part that the fipple goes on isn't plated, maybe that's something new. If so, you could take some fine sandpaper or steel wool and sand the end of the tube down until the fipple fits on it (the nickel plating doesn't sand very easily, but the exposed brass does sand easily).
Love...Serve...Remember
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I've taken the heads off of both my Oak whistles with no hot water and no problem - just pulled them off. They were both nickel plated from top to bottom.

I ordered a whitecap from Mack and it mostly fits tightly. It goes on tight, then there's about .25" or so where it's loose - no friction at all - then it gets tight again.

Luckily it's tight where it needs to be in order to be in tune.

BTW, when I read the title, I was thinking the thread was going to be about a whistle head with an oak fipple. :)

Jason
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I almost became a one-eyed Irishman, trying to remove an Oak fipple. Luckily the tube it me about an inch above my right eye, sparing my sight. Left a mark that lasted a week.
Short bio: 1952-
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
~William~

Post by ~William~ »

interesting problem, hope it works out, i have the same problem where i can't seem to get the head off the whistle, so i gave up because i don't want to force anything and accidentally break it :lol:

Cheers
~William~

Post by ~William~ »

Whitmores75087 wrote:I almost became a one-eyed Irishman, trying to remove an Oak fipple. Luckily the tube it me about an inch above my right eye, sparing my sight. Left a mark that lasted a week.
:lol: Yeah or risk doing that as well, funny story, how did you manage to get it off?
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

lyrick wrote:I've successfully removed 3 Oak fipples using the hot water trick, but it wasn't easy. I partially melted one Oak fipple because the water was too hot, and I still couldn't get it off (it was a friend's whistle, so no loss). Even after removing them they were still too tight to be considered easily tunable, but I took some very fine sandpaper and sanded down the inside of the fipple where it fits on the tube, and now it moves easy enough for tuning. Even with all this trouble they're still my favorite cheap whistle, sometimes it's all I play.

The tubes on all of mine are nickel-plated from end to end, I'm surprised that on yours the part that the fipple goes on isn't plated, maybe that's something new. If so, you could take some fine sandpaper or steel wool and sand the end of the tube down until the fipple fits on it (the nickel plating doesn't sand very easily, but the exposed brass does sand easily).
Thanks alot! It was my whistle he melted! :swear:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

Jon C. wrote:
lyrick wrote:I partially melted one Oak fipple because the water was too hot, and I still couldn't get it off (it was a friend's whistle, so no loss).
You're welcome. The warped Oak fipple came out sounding very nice, with a sweet pure sound. I should have charged you for tweaking it.:)
Love...Serve...Remember
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

lyrick wrote:
Jon C. wrote:
lyrick wrote:I partially melted one Oak fipple because the water was too hot, and I still couldn't get it off (it was a friend's whistle, so no loss).
You're welcome. The warped Oak fipple came out sounding very nice, with a sweet pure sound. I should have charged you for tweaking it.:)
Y'know, the same thing happened to my feadog when I tried to *ahem* repair its cracked windway. Maybe we should go into business together. *grabs lighter*
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

lyrick wrote:
Jon C. wrote:
Y'know, the same thing happened to my feadog when I tried to *ahem* repair its cracked windway. Maybe we should go into business together. *grabs lighter*
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

lyrick wrote:
Jon C. wrote:
I admit that it does play better, but it looks like somethiing from a
Salvador Dali painting! :lol:
This is how the fipple looks after he tweaked it!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon