Making a serious go and improving my flute playing...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Making a serious go and improving my flute playing...

Post by Jayhawk »

...so I've decided to grow a flute beard. Any advice on style or length to maximize my playing ability (ITM primarily), would be great appreciated. Right now, I'm on 3 days stubble and have only notice a slight improvement in my playing (not related, of course, to my recent increase in practice time).

Eric
MikeC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MikeC »

I too have started a flute beard. Mine has been growing about a month, and I've noticed some profound changes. Firstly, it makes me look older which has definitely improved my machismo which of course makes me play better. My new found masculinity allowed me to me take up yoga, which has improved my breathing and playing.

So from one month in my advice is to hang in there and let the beard take you where it may!

MC
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I have thought of growing a flute beard, but I hate facial hair, so it's difficult. I guess I'll never be a worthwhile flute player. :cry:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
JS

Post by JS »

As J.P Donleavy wrote somewhere, the correct response to questons about why you're growing a beard is, "I'm not doing anything; you're shaving every day." And of course it's those extra minutes saved for practicing that make the real difference, eh? (For the record, I prefer close cropped for music & general appearance, though I've gone in the other direction without notable change in either.)
Last edited by JS on Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

:D

I know a man with a beard that grows and grows and grows.
He never wears no clothes.
He just wraps his hair,
around his bare,
and down the road he goes!

Shel Silverstein
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I too am growing a beard, but not for the specific purpose of a Flute beard. It should improve my playing anyway.
KateG

Post by KateG »

Of course, there are those of us for whom growing a beard is not an option. But then, our flute playing is already so sublime we don't need such aids :D
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

A am going to let my ear hair grow, I think that will help... :P
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Jon, is that really a cat in a bodhran, or is it just a round cow?

Beards are good for flute playing. Dangerous with chromatic harmonicas and slide trombones, though. Go for it.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

KateG wrote:Of course, there are those of us for whom growing a beard is not an option. But then, our flute playing is already so sublime we don't need such aids :D
:lol: I could go along with that :wink:

cheers,
Sara
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

From my POV, it doesn't matter as long as you have the little thing below the middle of the lower lip (I've heard it called a "J", although I think there is a technical term for it). If you sweat a lot, as I do, it provides a little extra friction, plus I've found it slows the development of "unsightly stains" around the embouchure hole of boxwood. I keep the J in the summer, full beard only in the winter. A hot vs. cold thing.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

chas wrote:the little thing below the middle of the lower lip (I've heard it called a "J", although I think there is a technical term for it)
"Soul Patch"?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Congratulations wrote:
chas wrote:the little thing below the middle of the lower lip (I've heard it called a "J", although I think there is a technical term for it)
"Soul Patch"?
Also called a "Dweezil" by some, apparently, although I've never heard it, nor "J". But I have it on best authority from Patrick Olwell (we were discussing quick-and-dirty solutions to my then-new blackwood allergy), and who am I to doubt him?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote:
Congratulations wrote:
"Soul Patch"?
Also called a "Dweezil" by some, apparently, although I've never heard it, nor "J". But I have it on best authority from Patrick Olwell (we were discussing quick-and-dirty solutions to my then-new blackwood allergy), and who am I to doubt him?
Dweezil works for me. Although didn't Frank have one first? Maybe we could just call it a Zappa.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Congratulations wrote: "Soul Patch"?
Dweezil works for me. Although didn't Frank have one first? Maybe we could just call it a Zappa.
A Zappa:

(:^[I-)

A Dweezil (or Soul Patch or J):

(:^I-)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician