sewing frenzy results

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

sewing frenzy results

Post by cowtime »

I finally finished the hat tonight so here's the whole 1879 dress.

[img][img]http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5203/thedressfront2ir5.th.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4365/thedresssidego0.th.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7881/thedresssitting2hf0.th.jpg[/img][/img]

It's been a great deal of work, but the challenge was fun. Heck, making all those layers, in period construction, bones galore, quiet the learning experience. Learning to make and then move in all those layers is a challenge too- chemise, Victorian steel boned corset, petticoat, underskirt, overskirt, the evil boned bodice, whew, that 's a lot of clothing.

I also made a ballgown for a friend at church and a dress for my grandaughter. The church do is tomorrow afternoon so I hope to get lots more pictures.

This has been my Christmas present to myself and it was an experience.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

It's lovely! You should be very proud.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I was just wondering yesterday how things were coming along. I was planning to ask for some more pictures. Your dress is just lovely. I continue to love the two colors and it fits so beautifully! You look like the perfect Victorian lady, especially when you are sitting in the chair. You look as though you are calling on someone who has left the room for a moment. I can't imagine how the hat is made. The colors are so perfect, that little bit of the brighter rose color in front is lovely. Congratulations! I'll look forward to seeing the pictures from tomorrow. Surely everyone couldn't have made such an elaborate dress. It just doesn't seem like many people could do this.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

That bright rose is the underskirt peeping from beneath the overskirt.
The hat started life as a plain black felt ladies Stetson that my aunt donated to the cause. I added the shimmery fabric that is the band and veil down the back (to hide my short hair). Some black braid around the edge, ribbon and black and burgundy feathers finished it off. That's what I worked on until about 10 tonight from the time I got home from work.

I don't know about many of the other's outfits. The other two dresses I made are from the 1870s. I know of two Civil War era dresses that are supposedly going to make their debut, and another "natural form" dress " like the ones I made. I can't wait to see everyone in their outfits.

The funny thing was that yesterday I had to miss work for some medical tests so I got the opportunity to shop. I looked high and low for earrings and black lace gloves. The first was no problem but no one had the gloves. As I did some gift searching I went in Spencers and thank you Goth folk- there were the gloves !!! Cheap too!!!!
John Foster West
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Wow! Isn't that NICE!

I'm impressed! You did a lovely job on it! You look wonderful in it, too! It really sets off the female form, doesn't it?

You're going to have a good time wearing it.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Congrats! It looks wonderful and you look stunning in it!

(Side note: Who's playing who in the first pic?(on the TV))
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
djm

Post by djm »

Not a criticism, but the pics are pretty dark so its hard to see the details. Perhaps you could lighten these just a tad and reload them. I would like to get a better look.

Thx,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Very impressive work there Cowtime..very elegant and stylish.
I took the liberty of brightening up the pics so more of the detail can be seen.

I recently installed the latest Photoshop CS2 version but am not very good at it yet...hope it helps.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

dubhlinn wrote:hope it helps.
Nope, still can't read the football score in the background.
djm

Post by djm »

:lol:

Thx, Dubh. Works much better for me.

Now, Cowtime, can you properly sashay across the room in that get-up? We wants movies, yes we does. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

It's gorgeous! You did a beautiful job!

And I did get a kick out of the juxtaposition of the outfit with the TV football game... :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I can't help ya'll out on the football game- I hate it and have no idea who's playing. Although I think I remember my husband saying he saw Rutgers play West Va yesterday so maybe that's what's on.

I didn't lighten the pictures because it distorted the color of the dress so much. But, for the sake of more detail I guess I should.

Here's one taken this afternoon after the program of myself, my grandaughter and my friend. These are the three outfits I made.

[img][img]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6867/bethlilandmerevels2gm6.th.jpg[/img][/img]

A friend of hers, who is an award winning professional photographer had us pose for some pictures afterward. I'm anxious to see them. They should be really good.

Here's two other ladies that were in a more 1860's garb.
[img][img]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/9858/bethofnortonandetheliy7.th.jpg[/img][/img]

Actually I was able to "sashay", with much "frou frou" sound, and even play the bohdran when necessary-with help from my grandaughter.

[img][img]http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7968/drummersrevelslighter06iu1.th.jpg[/img][/img]

This is the first year I've not played the whistle for some of the songs. The victorian tunes we did and whistle just didn't seem to fit. I got hand bells and taught a few of the older girls some of the songs since our theme was "bells", so mainly concentrated on that musically this year.

I've got video, but have no idea how to upload the thing. (I lost the directions to the camera)

All in all, it was lots of fun.

edited to add- there's more photos here in the album I made for this here -

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/drumnacoub/ ... nt=3#page1
John Foster West
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

We wants to see them bloomers . . .
Cotelette d'Agneau
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

OH NO, that ain't gonna happen. :oops:
John Foster West
carrie

Post by carrie »

Cowtime, you are one of my heroes on this board. Amazing, beautiful sewing among many other admirable traits and talents!

Carol