who would you buy from.......?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

who would you buy from.......?

Post by Ben Shaffer »

List,
If you could get a high quality Irish Flute from a major musical Instrument manufacter like Artley within 2 weeks, who would you buy your Flute from? wait about 1 year and get it from our current high end Flute makers or would you go ahead and buy from the manufacter?
The assumption being equal quality and price...
Ben AKA Mr. Fandango
Last edited by Ben Shaffer on Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Wow.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

I got a high quality Irish flute from a high end maker the very day I visited his shop and handed him the check. No lines, no waiting.

:)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Il Friscaletto wrote:I got a high quality Irish flute from a high end maker the very day I visited his shop and handed him the check. No lines, no waiting.

:)

Yes, I've heard stories of this happening.........

Loren
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Mr. F makes good points, and I understand exactly where he's coming from. In my opinion, you'd always end up with a percentage of buyers who favor the small makers, even if the quality of the mass-produced flutes was comparable. After all, we can all buy very high quality clothing at Sears and even Wal-Mart, but more expensive boutique stores still spring up and thrive everywhere. It's about differentiation as much as quality. By definition, a mass-producer reduces differentiation.

Which would I buy? Dunno.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Personally, I would wait the extra time. Why? Because one person put in their effort to make a great instrument. I know the name of the person who made it and they may be a friend of mine. I have more respect for individuals producing instruments rather than instruments made by faceless workers on an assembly line. You make a decent point Ben, but there is not a big enough market and the cost for a company like Artley to buy the materials for the instruments and their making. Plus, how many of us already playing nice instruments would get rid of their Flute to have one of the new ones? I know I wouldn't.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Depends on what I was looking for in a flute. But I had exactly the same choice in guitars. I could have bought a good, USA made Fender Strat for a grand in a matter of minutes, in nearly any music store in the country, when I was guitar shpping. But I waited several months and spent the same money on a Rickenbacker, through internet order, because the differentiated features of that guitar were more attractive. (Fenders are boooooring! ;P)

As an aside, anybody on the forum can talk to Doc Jones and get a high-end flute quite quickly. If yer lucky you can also call up Powell's in Galway and a get a Sam Murray keyless shipped that same week - he occasionally makes flutes for them to retail.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Do you read your replies at all Mr. Fandango?

It cannot be done
JS

Post by JS »

Maybe there's a model for thinking about this over in the mando ecosystem, where the prices for high-end models make what many of us spend on flutes look like beer & cigarette money? There are large companies producing reputable instruments, small makers producing prestige instruments, part-time makers (like my friend, Mike, who turns out a couple of gorgeous instruments a year), and a vigorous vintage market too--all are providing tools for serious musicians. As far as I could see, back when I was watching the madolincafe site and elsewhere, the intro of mass produced quality instruments didn't have a negative impact on the number or variety of independent makers, so clearly some musicians would rather get their instrument custom-built, or at least have that more individualized experience, even at the expense of the wait.

And look at the number of independent guitar makers, even though it seems quite possible to get a fine guitar, without a wait, either off the rack or on the used/vintage market.

But probably the most problematic assumption is "equal quality." I haven't been on any music forum yet where there was more agreement than otherwise about what that meant in any discussion of makers & models. I mean, just check out the recent whistle discussions here. And isn't that part of the fun of it, eh? So the chances of finding a consensus that a large maker's mass-produced simple system flute is as good as someone's treasured (insert maker's name here) seem not so good.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hey Ben,

I'll buy when Toyota starts making Irish Flutes. I like reliability.

Loren
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Loren wrote:Hey Ben,

Loren
And even then I'd wait until they make a hybrid.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

AaronMalcomb wrote:

Loren
And even then I'd wait until they make a hybrid.[/quote
I was going to measure a Edsel, and start making those flutes. The original was so successful...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

List,
without a doubt most most everyone on this list has strong opinions! Loren I think can be the man to take the lead and become the Toyota of Flute makers.
I think it would be nice if Irish Flute making paralleled Metal Flute making.... that is there are a number of Mass produced Flute makers as well as a bunch of Custom Flute makers
Ben
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Jon C. wrote:
AaronMalcomb wrote:

Loren
And even then I'd wait until they make a hybrid.[/quote
I was going to measure a Edsel, and start making those flutes. The original was so successful...
The Edsel had a bizarre appearance, recall. It was described as a Chevrolet sucking a lemon.

Yes, i want a hybrid flute--runs partly on breath, partly on
Guinness.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

jim stone wrote:
Jon C. wrote:
AaronMalcomb wrote: And even then I'd wait until they make a hybrid.[/quote
The Edsel had a bizarre appearance, recall. It was described as a Chevrolet sucking a lemon.

Yes, i want a hybrid flute--runs partly on breath, partly on
Guinness.
The idea of a hybrid flute is not such a bad idea. Electric-acoustic guitars are sort of hybrid in that you can play them with or without an amplifier. It would be nice to have an acoustic flute with a tiny onboard digital processor. If you wanted more volume, reverberation, or more bark (or whatever quality you desired), that could be chosen in the effects processor. However, if you wanted to play it at an acoustic session, that would be no problem, either.

As for the Edsel, I wonder what they were thinking. It had an ugly appearance and an ugly name (no matter that it was a family name), and people didn't buy it, no matter how nice of car it may have been otherwise. Let's face it, many people make a buying decision (or mate selection) based on appearance alone, which isn't such a smart maneuver, in my opinion.