Which brand i should use when i want a Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
legolas

Which brand i should use when i want a Whistle?

Post by legolas »

Hi
Thank you for reading my post
As i am a new commer to flute playing, during 3 days of reaserch i find some other brands in addition to flute makers that i find them in this forum.
So i want to ask you about the following brands,
I will be thankfull to recieve your feedbacks about them in case you have used any of thier Whistle.

here are brands:
http://www.whistleanddrum.com/High-End- ... stles.html

-Copeland Woodwinds
-Busman
-Lon Dubh by Pat O'Dwyer
-MK Music
-Silkstone
-Seery Woodwinds
-Maurice Reviol Low Whistles

Thanks
Frogwing
antispam: No

Post by Frogwing »

I'm a beginner as well and can't give my opinion on any of those exact whistles. But I made a post a little while ago about getting your first whistle and you might get some ideas there: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=45401

Good luck!
dyersituations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by dyersituations »

They are all nice whistles, it's just a matter of preference. In the beginning, I might recommend getting a cheaper whistle until you figure things out. A Freeman tweaked whistle would be an excellent choice.

-Casey
Life is good.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Even though I make one of those whistles (Busman), since you're a beginner I'd advise you to play on a less expensive whistle for a while until you are pretty comfortable playing the whistle. At that point, you'll be in a lot better position to know what you really want in a whistle. Listen to as much whistle music as you can, and start to get an idea of how you want a whistle to sound. Any of these whistles will cost you a fair amount of money, and I'd hate to see you end up with a beautiful whistle which still doesn't sound or play the way you like it.
The Freeman tweaked whistle that Dyersituations suggested would be an excellent whistle for you right now.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
patrickh

Post by patrickh »

Trying out an inexpensive whistle at the beginning is a sensible idea but not the way I went personally. I play other instruments and knew that I would cherish a lovely, high-end whistle (I now have several) and it would inspire me to play (and they do, often). The interesting thing is that expensive does not necessary mean better when it comes to whistles. Many great players play cheap whistles.

A different question you may want to ask yourself is the key (or physical size) of the whistle you want. You have named some brands that make low whistles and some high. They are very different instruments in both sound and playability. Another thing you may want to ask is whether you want a wooden instrument or not. They tend to be more expensive and require more care but if you love it you just love it (and I do!).

I think you are on the right track looking at whistleanddrum.com. Blayne is an excellent guy who will speak with you about your choice and even play any whistle you are interested in over the phone, describing their tone (clear or chiff), wind requirements, volume, etc.

Out of the brands you name, I own and love Busman, Silkstone and Lon Dubh and would gladly recommend any of them. You will have some difficulty getting a Lon Dubh immediately but I think they are on order. I would also recommend Reyburn whistles which Blayne does not sell. I have the Narrow Bore D Reyburn which is the sweetest whistle I have ever heard. If you love wood, Busman makes some very lovely high D's, C's and Eb whistles. If you like brass, Reyburn makes both low and high whistles. Another brand that many people love is Burke and he practically makes them all.

Best of luck and have fun.
legolas

Post by legolas »

Thank you all for your helpful posts.

I live outside of EU and US buying a Whistle will consume at least one month of my salary (about 170USD).

by thinking about shipping cost i can not think to order some low price Whistle and then order another high end Whistle , so I hsould do it once and very carefully.

I looked at http://www.tinwhistler.com/reviews.asp and i found many good Whistle there.
I think i need a Low D Whistle but you are more experienced than me and you can say me better that which key i like.

here some samples that i like too much,

1. http://www.communitylinks.us/Music/sally.mp3
2. http://www.communitylinks.us/Music/innerlight01.mp3
4. http://www.ringflute.com/hearit.html

Now, I should say that i will go for a Xiao in next 3 years but first of all i should begin with a Whistle as it is easier to learn.

About Wood or metal i should say that I prefer Metal + that is Tune able.
because wooden Whistle are hard to take care and more expensive.

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks
Guidus

Post by Guidus »

Legolas, check your PMs.
Guidus
Henke

Post by Henke »

I just got my drivers license. Could someone perhaps tell me which car to buy?

-Audi
-BMW
-Saab
-Nissan
-Volvo
-Acura

Thanks a bunch! :lol:
Sylvester
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sylvester »

Henke wrote:I just got my drivers license. Could someone perhaps tell me which car to buy?

-Audi
-BMW
-Saab
-Nissan
-Volvo
-Acura

Thanks a bunch! :lol:
I'd go for a Saab. Being in Sweden might be an inexpensive option. :lol:
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
stefano

Post by stefano »

It is very difficult to say which whistle you may prefer without trying them. At variance with other products, where 'high-price' usually (but not always) means 'close-to-perfection', I think there is no universal consensus on what 'perfection' means for a whistle. For this reason most of the high-end whistles have their own 'personality', and differ one from each other. Also your personal taste will probably change in time, as you get more skilled. At the beginning you will not care on how fast you can play crans and rolls on a whistle, simply because you will be unable to play them at all!

My personal suggestion would be to try to make yourself a whistle, following the indication of Guido Gonzato's Low-Tech whistle. It is very easy to do, and it requires a simple pvc pipe and a piece of wood. Cheap materials that you can easily find almost everywhere in the world. I did it, and I can confirm that it is really easy and the whistle you will obtain is really good, even at your very first attempt. You will have fun playing it, and it may help you to decide what you would like to find in an high-end whistle.

Nevertheless, if you really want to buy an high-end whistle immediately, I would suggest you a Burke high D. It is a very consistent whistle, perfectly tuned, with a nice pure sound. It is easy to play for a beginner, but also professional players like it. Michael Burke is a very kind person, and the shipping is very fast (I got my whistle in less than one weak). Some people say that Burke's whistles lack of personality. I don't agree too much. It is true that they are not 'wild horses' as other whistles. But if you are a beginner and you have no idea of which kind of 'wild character' you may eventually like, and you are going to buy just one whistle, it is much safer to buy a 'good character' one.

P.S. for Henke: buy a FIAT!!!!!! (This is NOT a commercial P.S.) :lol:
Henke

Post by Henke »

Okay, try this: Which food should I like?

-Pasta Bolognese
-Pizza
-Tacos
-Chinese Food
-Thai Food
-BBQ Steak

Thanks for all the answers
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Henke wrote:Okay, try this: Which food should I like?

-Pasta Bolognese
-Pizza
-Tacos
-Chinese Food
-Thai Food
-BBQ Steak

baloney! :lol:
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Henke wrote:Okay, try this: Which food should I like?

-Pasta Bolognese
-Pizza
-Tacos
-Chinese Food
-Thai Food
-BBQ Steak

It's best to start with something cheap like McDonalds to decide what you like best. It all comes down to personal preference. From personal experience I can tell you Chinese food is lovely. If your Chinese food makes you thirsty, you could drink:

-Water
-Green Tea
-Bubble Tea
-Ginger Ale
manu.bande

Post by manu.bande »

Hi

I would go with green tea and chinese food , that's actually what I'm eating allmost every day !

Then if you want to go with italian food , pasta bolognese pizza etc., well ...,I would suggest you to get some red wine , otherwise the food do not taste just perfect ! :wink:

Manuel
stefano

Post by stefano »

hem.... it might be veeeery dangerous to provoke an italian about food! :lol: