Four inches of s@#%!!!! ARGH!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Four inches of s@#%!!!! ARGH!!

Post by Tyler »

I hate snow.

We got four inches of it last night.

Grrrrr. :moreevil:

I leave for work before any of the snowplows hit the streets, and true to form, after the first snowstorm of the year everyone forgets how to drive.

At quarter after four this morning I counted three accidents along the five miles between home and work.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fearfaoin

Re: Four inches of s@#%!!!! ARGH!!

Post by fearfaoin »

Tyler Morris wrote:...after the first snowstorm of the year everyone forgets how to drive.
I'm glad NC isn't the only place with that problem...

We didn't have snow at all last year, so we've been pretty lucky
driving-wise. But a couple years ago we had less than an inch of
ice/snow that crippled parts of the city. Major arteries became
jammed with cars. Some people couldn't make it home and slept
in WalMarts and grocery stores. It made national news. :oops:
So, yeah, it could be worse.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I find the Irish word for "snow" (sneachta) to be quite useful. Said with force, it sounds very much like a curse word, which perfectly expresses how I feel about snow. Try it...it's very cathartic. All together now:

SHNYAKH-tuh!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Redwolf wrote: SHNYAKH-tuh!

Redwolf
OOoo, that feels kinda good! :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

We got a little more than that, Tyler (at least around my work near the University of Utah), and every idiot in Utah was driving (3 mph) in front of me when I drove in at 6:30. Even the main roads in North Salt Lake hadn't been plowed (they knew this storm was coming!). Tyler and other northern Utahns will understand this: One of our research coordinators who lives in Draper just phoned to say that she left home at 7:00 a.m. and at 8:00 a.m. was only at 7200 South and it will probably be another hour before she gets to work--don't know the distance in miles but it's a trip that normally would take her about 30-45 minutes.

Susan
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Redwolf wrote: SHNYAKH-tuh!
Bless You!

I love snow, it means it's not raining...
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

susnfx wrote:We got a little more than that, Tyler (at least around my work near the University of Utah), and every idiot in Utah was driving (3 mph) in front of me when I drove in at 6:30. Even the main roads in North Salt Lake hadn't been plowed (they knew this storm was coming!). Tyler and other northern Utahns will understand this: One of our research coordinators who lives in Draper just phoned to say that she left home at 7:00 a.m. and at 8:00 a.m. was only at 7200 South and it will probably be another hour before she gets to work--don't know the distance in miles but it's a trip that normally would take her about 30-45 minutes.

Susan
We're just barely getting plows out here where I work in Draper...urghh!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

This week last year, my wife got stranded overnight near Bodmin, 30 miles from home, by a sudden snowstorm. It was the first time in 20 years in Cornwall that I'd seen snow covering the ground at home. Don't much care for the stuff meself, unless it's on distant mountain tops where it belongs.

"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

We had 3.5 inches of snow Sunday, then it warmed up just enough to rain, so there's about 1 inch of snow left. But it turned cold - 8:20 am and it is 3F. At least the wind has died down or the wind chill would be murder! It's supposed to snow again tomorrow.

One family from Portland, Oregon, drove up to Seattle on Monday to see the football game, then started back home after the game. It normally takes about 3 hours to drive from Seattle to Portland. It took them 15 hours to get home.

Our dog is part Husky and he loves this weather! We have a heated water dish for him and that is really nice - no more going out and knocking a chunk of ice out of the dish. Of course, the birds like it too, so I still have to empty it and clean it out because the birds make a mess in the water.

This is why I tried not to complain when it was 95 this summer - I figured we would be really cold this winter. But I didn't think it would be so early in the season. Usually this kind of cold settles in about January.

Global warming, anyone?

(I know, somebody's going to say that temperature extremes are all part of global warming.)

edited to change the date of the football game - I have Sunday and Monday off, so Monday seems like Sunday to me!
Charlene
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Charlene wrote:(I know, somebody's going to say that temperature extremes are all part of global warming.)

Temperature extremes are all part of global warming. :D
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Here in my part of Minnesnowta, it's been unseasonably pleasant for practically all of autumn until today. From the balmy upper 40s/lower 50s (F) of the last few weeks to the low 20s in one fell swoop. Supposed to get down to 7F tonite. Yow. Adjustment will be like a slap in the face.

As for snow, it's iffyish for now.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

4-6" snowfalls are common here--in fact, I don't usually start to pay attention until they hit 8-10" or more. But the first snowfall of the season is always memorable because everyone forgets how to drive in it! They drive too fast or too slow, stop too soon or not soon enough, drive down the center of two lanes instead of one or the other...

If they'd all just driving perfectly for the conditions like Tyler and I do :D .

Susan
jsluder

Re: Four inches of s@#%!!!! ARGH!!

Post by jsluder »

Tyler Morris wrote:I hate snow.

We got four inches of it last night.

Grrrrr. :moreevil:

I leave for work before any of the snowplows hit the streets, and true to form, after the first snowstorm of the year everyone forgets how to drive.

At quarter after four this morning I counted three accidents along the five miles between home and work.
Heh. I love snow; I just hate city traffic on snow.

We got 6 inches of snow on Monday evening, and the roads in the area are still solid ice. On her commute from work Monday evening, it took my wife 4 hours to drive 15 miles, at which point her 2-wheel-drive Honda couldn't make it up the hill for the last 5 miles home. So, she parked it at a grocery store (where it remains today) and called me to come get her with my AWD Subaru. It then took me 3 hours to make the 10 mile round trip. (My Subaru had no problems, but I kept getting stuck behind folks in 2WD cars who were just spinning their tires on the ice.)

This much snow and ice is rare around here at the lower elevations, especially in November. People don't know how to drive in these conditions, and the cities and counties aren't equipped to deal with it. There were a lot of folks whose Monday evening commute home didn't end until Tuesday morning.

We're now on our 2nd day of unplanned vacation, and the roads are still solid ice. Here's a pic I just took of the street in front of our house:

Here's the scene in our back yard. All this snow fell on Monday, but it hasn't warmed up enough to melt since then.

The birds are all puffed up to stay warm, too.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
djm

Post by djm »

SteveShaw wrote:my wife got stranded overnight near Bodmin
Hey! I've heard of that place. They have a big moor there, right? Sure, I've seen references to escaping prisoners and Bodmin's Moor.

I just can't imagine snow on him, for some reason.

I watched one of the tv shows from there. I didn't understand a word they were saying. I couldn't make out if the guy was trying to be a celebrity or a fish ....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
missy

Post by missy »

we're supposed to get that weather Friday. I do NOT look forward to driving home from work - but I just made an appointment at another site and will only have 5 miles to drive vs. the usual 20!

I suppose every store is just about out of bread and milk. Every year before the first "white death" they always sell out of bread and milk.

I grew up driving country roads, with chains and strategically placed bags of Sakrete in the trunk. I absolutely HATE driving in city traffic in "snow".
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com