Uilleann and Etc.?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

One or more of the McPeakes used to both play and sing. I used to have a recording of him doing that Irish somg that starts "Or-o.." something or other.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
WireHarp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WireHarp »

I sing and play all the time on my shuttles and have just started trying it on the pastorals. The shuttles are in A which is a better key for me. I know there is a similar tradition among Northumberlandererers.. ers..they have contests for piping singers.
Because of the info I have turned up regarding Robert Bremner's book on playing the guittar, I double the melody line with the chanter as I sing rather than cutting in and out and doing hamonies etc. Bremner specifically recommends doubling the melody when singing with the guittar, so I am beginning to think this might have been the historical way to go.
Has set me to thinking about the notion of session players all doing the melody (and of course earlier dance players) and avoiding harmony. It may have some very deep roots.

Robert Mouland
www.wireharp.com
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

s1m0n wrote:One or more of the McPeakes used to both play and sing. I used to have a recording of him doing that Irish somg that starts "Or-o.." something or other.
Óró, sé do bheatha 'bhaile. Folktrax has a CD of Francie I and II singing/playing, very nice record. THE SINGING PIPER it's called.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Flogging Jason wrote:I saw the Chieftains in concert once and between songs Paddy Moloney jokingly talked about wanting a piano-like device he could play with his feet whilst piping.
Flogging Jason
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

BoneQuint wrote:
what on earth is that?!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

A foot organ/bass.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:A foot organ/bass.
Now THERE's a photoshop oppertunity if ever I saw one! :lol:

Pat.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

:D
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Now THERE's a photoshop oppertunity if ever I saw one!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Where are they cymbals between his knees?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Flogging Jason wrote: Paddy Moloney jokingly talked about wanting a piano-like device he could play with his feet whilst piping.
Geddy Lee used to play these:
http://www.keyboardmuseum.org/ar/m/moog/tar1.html
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Pulled to save offence.
Last edited by AlanB on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Sorry to be such a poop, but even I have limits (hard to believe!) about messing around with the images of dead pipers. Maybe it's that this man died too young and looks a little sickly in the shot to boot. As the late Robert Altman said "the death of an old man is not a tragedy".

For those who want to know more about this piper (Philip Martin was his name) you can read and see more on the uilleann obsession site/diary 2004. Here is the text lifted from same:

" I just received this photo and information from Gabriel McKeagney:
"Patrick, Lawrence McManus sent me this good pic of piper Philip Martin. He was born in 1907 and lived in Co Fermanagh, In Kilturk, between Lisnaskea and Newtownbutler. He died in 1942. There are recordings of him playing 5 or 6 tunes and he was a proficient player of the pipes. We do not know where the pipes are now that are in the picture or who made them, but he was known to have been in a band and to have been in close contact with Leo Rowsome during his career. There is a CD of his playing being worked on at the moment for release in the near future.

Gabriel"

You can see the ungoofedaroundwith picture and the nice headstone for this piper (we should all deserve/have earned such a nice monument) included in this reference sited above.

t
djm

Post by djm »

Well, Tommy, at least they didn't use a wah-wah pedal. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.