REVIEW: Hudson Wind by Peter Bonsteel

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Bloomfield wrote:
dfernandez77 wrote:Maybe it's a good subject for another thread, but I was looking for Peter's (and any other knowledgeable and critical whistle fan's) take on what would go into an "objective" review. What would be the most pertinent criteria, and how would they be measured or rated.

So what do you think?
I would like to hear about balance between octaves, responsiveness (and I like to hear a soundclip with clean ornaments to judge for myself whether I'd find the whistle sluggish), tonal characteristics such as chirpiness or breathiness. I like to hear about tuning between octaves (and I don't mean play the thing into a tuner; I mean: how much effort does it take to blow the top g, a, b into tune?). I thought easily most helpful thing the review mentioned was the ease of playing The Inner Light. I don't know what it means that the reviewer would be "comfortable taking this whistle into seisiun." (I think 'seisun' Comhaltas-Irish for session). When I read that the whistle is "well-behaved" in the second octave, I get worried because that reads like the whistle might be not very responsive. A fundamental issue here is that what a player wants from a whistle changes over time: In the beginning, many want a whistle that props up the player, that is forgiving. Once you don't need to be forgiven for your playing anymore, though, such whistles tend to hold the player back, and you'd want something immediate, responsive, a bit dangerous, if that makes sense.
Agreed on all counts; but a point or two. Are forgiving and responsive necessarily mutually exclusive? It is funny how I now care less about the actual whistle, except for say mostly physical comfort. For example, I love my Abell delrin but occasionally find it a bit fat and round and difficult
to hold comfortably for extended periods (more than say 20-30 minutes), while having to pay just a tad more attention to the embouchure because of the stubby mouthpiece. Also, I took another whistle to an accomplished player who remarked that he didn't find it responsive enough; that's when I began to understand that whistles can be better measured in the hands of more accomplished players. Finally, this same player remarked initially that he wasn't overly fond of my favorite player at the time, but later changed his "tune" and acknowledged that it really suited me in that I could easily push this whistle as far as needed in any way. I guess that brings me to the original question re responsiveness/forgiveness?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Bloomfield wrote: I would like to hear about balance between octaves, responsiveness (and I like to hear a soundclip with clean ornaments to judge for myself whether I'd find the whistle sluggish), tonal characteristics such as chirpiness or breathiness. I like to hear about tuning between octaves (and I don't mean play the thing into a tuner; I mean: how much effort does it take to blow the top g, a, b into tune?). I thought easily most helpful thing the review mentioned was the ease of playing The Inner Light. I don't know what it means that the reviewer would be "comfortable taking this whistle into seisiun." (I think 'seisun' Comhaltas-Irish for session). When I read that the whistle is "well-behaved" in the second octave, I get worried because that reads like the whistle might be not very responsive. A fundamental issue here is that what a player wants from a whistle changes over time: In the beginning, many want a whistle that props up the player, that is forgiving. Once you don't need to be forgiven for your playing anymore, though, such whistles tend to hold the player back, and you'd want something immediate, responsive, a bit dangerous, if that makes sense.
Plus quote all the stuff Peter said, but I'm to lazy to cut and paste.

My response (Rodney Dangerfield style):

Whoa! Tough Crowd! Tough Crowd!

Loren
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

Bloomfield wrote: . . . I would like to hear about balance between octaves, responsiveness (and I like to hear a soundclip with clean ornaments to judge for myself whether I'd find the whistle sluggish), tonal characteristics such as chirpiness or breathiness. I like to hear about tuning between octaves (and I don't mean play the thing into a tuner; I mean: how much effort does it take to blow the top g, a, b into tune?). I thought easily most helpful thing the review mentioned was the ease of playing The Inner Light. . .
I agree with Bloomfield and Peter Laban that some concrete items should be included in any review. For me, balance between octaves (if I understand the term correctly) is very important. For example, I enjoy playing The Inner Light, but don't often do so because the upper octave "D" and "C" are so shrill on my whistle that it discolors fine upholstery. :o

I myself enjoyed the review and the subjective information. As a newbie with a little over a year on the whistle (and despairing of ever playing as good as anybody who posts here), I respect the opinions of those who have played the whistle longer and who play better than me. This is why Slowair's opinions are just as important to me as his more objective comments.

I also know that people look for different things in the sound of a whistle. Breathy, chiffy, buzzy, flute-like, loud, soft - everybody has their own preferences for their own reasons. I take my own likes and dislikes (my own baggage, if you will) into account when considering the quality of a whistle.

Assuming that the posted MP3's are a good indication of how the whistle sounds, I would have to say that this particular whistle is to my tastes. Although I found the high "C" and "B" in The Inner Light louder than other notes (ie: out of balance with other notes), I was surprised that the high "D" was not so loud, which could mean that this whistle has well balanced octaves and some volume control - or it could mean that the high "D" is not as loud as high "C" on this whistle. At the end of the day, it is up to me to determine if it is to my tastes to the tune of $150.

By the way Bloomfield, Peter Laban, PhilO - as respected members of this forum, I would be eager to hear reviews from you in regards to different whistles, especially since it appears that Wanderer isn't going to be as diligent in reviewing whistles as he has been in the past. :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

shadeclan wrote: By the way Bloomfield, Peter Laban, PhilO - as respected members of this forum, I would be eager to hear reviews from you in regards to different whistles, especially since it appears that Wanderer isn't going to be as diligent in reviewing whistles as he has been in the past. :D
/agree.

-Casey :D
Life is good.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I have posted my fair share of reviews over the years, some short and some long, although I don't pretend to match the dour and plodding throughness of Wanderer's reviews. :P Searching for keyword "review", author "Bloomfield" in the Whistle Forum is likely to bring up a good crop.

The last whistle review I recall Peter doing was on the Humphrey, although he recently had things to say about the Dixon Trad (or whatever it is called).
/Bloomfield
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Bloomfield's powerpoint on the Feadog Pro still makes me giggle just thinking about it. :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Congratulations wrote:Bloomfield's powerpoint on the Feadog Pro still makes me giggle just thinking about it. :lol:
You know, no one ever asked me what "box stab" meant. Self explanatory, I guess... ;)
/Bloomfield
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Bloomfield wrote:
Congratulations wrote:Bloomfield's powerpoint on the Feadog Pro still makes me giggle just thinking about it. :lol:
You know, no one ever asked me what "box stab" meant. Self explanatory, I guess... ;)
:lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Well, with this particular review we do learn a few things, after all: Appearently the whistle has a strong low end, is pure rather than airy or complex, takes (more than?) a bit of breath pressure in the second octave, and is louder than the average cheapie without being unbearably shrill at the top of the second octave.

Not exhaustive information, perhaps, but certainly better than nothing.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Yes, and then you listen to the clips... and all that stuff, to my ears, goes out the window. And that's why I posted my comment.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

shadeclan wrote: By the way Bloomfield, Peter Laban, PhilO - as respected members of this forum, I would be eager to hear reviews from you in regards to different whistles, especially since it appears that Wanderer isn't going to be as diligent in reviewing whistles as he has been in the past. :D
Nope..I'm just waiting for the day that Peter can ask "what makes Wanderer's whistles better than my Generation?"

Then I'll know I've made it as a maker ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Bloomfield wrote:I have posted my fair share of reviews over the years, some short and some long, although I don't pretend to match the dour and plodding throughness of Wanderer's reviews. :P Searching for keyword "review", author "Bloomfield" in the Whistle Forum is likely to bring up a good crop.

Pfft, amature. :lol:

Loren
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Wanderer wrote:I'm just waiting for the day that Peter can ask "what makes Wanderer's whistles better than my Generation?"

Then I'll know I've made it as a maker ;)
Just wait until he answers the question - in a positive fashion. :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Loren wrote:Pfft, amature. :lol:

Loren
You're talking to the guy who reviewed the Spillane Low D, buster.

8)
/Bloomfield
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

And, what DID it bust?
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.