6 Minute Pitch Perception Test

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

75% - not bad considering I'm inebriated, stuffed and being subjected to the wild kid's screaming in the courtyard. Although, perhaps the two large tankards of chianti with shrimp fra diavalo over linguini actually improved my performance?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I tried it again with my favorite headphones and only got 83. Is it me or the headphones? I would have thought the headphones provided more clear sound.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

86.1%

I'm happy with that.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

chrisoff wrote:86.1%

I'm happy with that.
that's what I got...I was using the excuse that my son was pestering me for a snack as my excuse as to why I didn't do better. I was thinking of trying again when he wasn't pestering me, but then I wouldn't have a good excuse if I didn't improve ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
emmline

Post by emmline »

It would be interesting to see whether Chiffers, who as a group have a particular interest in music, would score higher on average, or the same, as a group of people whose common interest is, eg, carpentry or something.
p.s.--pestering children are not recommended as background noise. Nor can I endorse husbands watching 40's musicals on tv in the next room. Ginger Rogers (or whoever it was) launching into song just as the computer starts singing "boing boing bing boing, bing boing, bong bong bong bong," is likely to result in one of your lower scores.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I realize that I didn't grow up in Lake Wobegone, where all the children are above average, but I was expecting to get at least an average score. I can blame my old computer or the bad speakers or the ambient drone of the furnace blower or the persistent tinnitus in my ears. It could also be too much cheap beer and late night TV. That makes me feel better.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

emmline wrote:It would be interesting to see whether Chiffers, who as a group have a particular interest in music, would score higher on average, or the same, as a group of people whose common interest is, eg, carpentry or something.
p.s.--pestering children are not recommended as background noise. Nor can I endorse husbands watching 40's musicals on tv in the next room. Ginger Rogers (or whoever it was) launching into song just as the computer starts singing "boing boing bing boing, bing boing, bong bong bong bong," is likely to result in one of your lower scores.
Okok...so I took it again just now, at my quiet office. 88.9% Only marginally better. Maybe that means that due to the session environment, i'm really good at blocking out distraction? :) Even so, 88.9% is in the 93rd percentile, so I'm not ashamed of it. ;)
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Darn, first time I got 86.1%, and second time 94.4%, but I'm still not certain what I did get better the second time, I think the second time was mainly luck.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I just tried it for the first time, using the tiny built-in speakers on my laptop.

88.9% Correct (93rd Percentile)

In every case I "failed", it was a set they said was the same, but I heard a slight difference. I'd like to know how they define "same".
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
emmline

Post by emmline »

jsluder wrote:I just tried it for the first time, using the tiny built-in speakers on my laptop.

In every case I "failed", it was a set they said was the same, but I heard a slight difference. I'd like to know how they define "same".
Slude--I had the same problem with a few of the pairs, but since I was "wrong" I've had to attribute to things like maybe I focused on the bass note of the chord more the second time so it seemed different.
Aren't they computer generated tones after all, and therefore completely reproducible?
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

jsluder wrote:I just tried it for the first time, using the tiny built-in speakers on my laptop.

But how can you know where you "failed" ? I mean, you only get the result at the end, don't you?
carrie

Post by carrie »

88.9% for me too. I found the experience seriously humbling, as so many experiences of mine seem to be!

Carol
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Azalin wrote:

But how can you know where you "failed" ? I mean, you only get the result at the end, don't you?
nope..up at the upper right is an arrow and "next"..i missed i the first time around too. It will show you where you stand compared to the other people who took the test, which ones you missed, etc, and let you listen to them over and over.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Around 68% below average.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I did horrible when I tried it again this morning. I hadn't known you could see the results each time. I think it clouded my hearing.

I must have been in another world the first time because I can't seem to duplicate that feat.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm