What Tune has Flat Out Stumped You?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

I'm not talking about things that don't transpose well, or ones that have more accidentals than standard notes; I'm talking about those tunes that just have digital versions of tongue-twisters. Session-type tunes that are simply tortuous on a whistle.

From a Curious Cat
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

The high reel is the one for me.Its fairly straightforward on the fiddle but playing it up to tempo on the whistle stumps me every time..I think I,ll go practice for awhile.:smile: Mike
Dewhistle

Post by Dewhistle »

I can't get anywhere with Drowsy Maggie. I know all the notes by memory but trying to play it is just one long hiccup.
"We took pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed. But we're going back again in a couple of weeks..."
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Drowsy Maggie doesn't stump me, but a simple tune like Sheebeg Sheemore...ugh!!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Langstrom's Pony.

I've decided to take it one section at a time, and I can almost play the A part. :smile:
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Yep, Drowsy Maggie for me too.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Anything with rolls or lotsa cuts, especially if it's fast.

For Si Bheag Si Mhor, get Planxty's first album -- there's a fantastic (I didn't like the piece before hearing it) yet simple version done on the pipes.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
brownja

Post by brownja »

On 2002-09-29 21:33, Whitmores75087 wrote:
Drowsy Maggie doesn't stump me, but a simple tune like Sheebeg Sheemore...ugh!!
Appearently, you're not the only one. At an Irish festival this past weekend, there was a young fiddle player who was really hot stuff, played the fast stuff very crisply and with nice rythm, then, near the end of her set, she played a slow air that was actually painful to listen to, awkward, strianed, screechy, all bad.
Go figure,
jb
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I'll probably be all alone on this one. I *cannot* get Irish Washerwoman. My fingers end up tied in tight knots so bad that they have to be amputated and I can't play again for the three weeks they require to regenerate.

OK, so that last bit might not be entirely factual - the thing still completely eludes all my efforts.

(edited for spelling)

-J.R.R. Tolkien

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Clark on 2002-09-29 22:16 ]</font>
RosieJ

Post by RosieJ »

well, I'm TRYING to learn "the Collegiate Hornpipe",(AKA the popeye song), but I just can't 1)get a breath in 2) move the fingers fast enough. I know, take it slow! But where the heck do you take a breath with all those eighth notes?
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Hey Chuck,

The reason you can't get Irish Washerwoman is because you don't really want to play it. But...if you really need to, turn it into an exercise.

First, play only the first six notes over and over, without any pauses. Then play the next six notes over and over, in the same way, slowing down as much as needed to play it perfectly. Do this 6 note fragmentation thing for the whole song. Then, play 12 notes in a row, over and over, etc. This is a good way to practice anything. If the song is really tough, start with only 3 notes in a row, over and over.

Hope this helps.
JP

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JohnPalmer on 2002-09-29 23:36 ]</font>
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

It helps me, if not him. Thanks John!
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Thanks John. I suspect you're right - it's turned into an adversarial love/hate thing that I want to beat more than I want to play. But - I hate losing, so I'll give it a try.
whistlingfiddler

Post by whistlingfiddler »

The main theme of "Riverdance" from the show. I bought a Riverdance book for tin whistle, and they sort of edited the tune to a 12/8 rhythm, just to make it easier. But the actual tune is much harder. The measures switch between 4/4 and 6/8, so it's hard to stay in time. I can play that part that goes B-DD B-DD C-E-C-E-C-E, you'd recognize it if you heard it. But the rest is difficult. Most of the tunes in Riverdance are difficult on whistle anyway. My whistles either don't have enough octaves, or the tunes are in a key other than D or C. Oh well, I guess this is a sign that I need new whistles :wink:
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

The reel "Mountain Road" I just can't get the flow of it.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.