Alternatives to Dixon 3-pc-polymer for similar price?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
onewheeldave
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by onewheeldave »

My current flutes are a cylindrical Dixon 2-pc (around £30-40) and ones I make myself, which, being also cylindrical bore are pretty much equivalent to the Dixon 2 pc.

Thinking of options for something a bit more advanced, I'm not keen on anything in wood because-

1. I suspect that many wood flutes in the £150 range are not going to be that good

2. Wood requires care and is susceptible to damage

I've never had a problem with plastic as their tone seems fine and they're fairly indestructable.

From what I've read conical bore does have several advantages- as I understand it-

1. improved intonation/tuning over both octaves
2. tighter finger-hole spacing

(correct me if the above aren't necessarily true, or if there are other benefits to conical bore).

The 3-piece polymer Dixon seems to be well-respected and I was wondering-

1. Are there any other flutes in the same price range (say £120-£190) that are as good as, or better, than the Dixon

(I should point out that I'd prefer ones available in the UK, unless there's a non-UK flute that is substantially better- this is because there's apparently a risk of import duties from stock purchased outside the UK)

2. If so, how do they compare, in what ways are they better, etc

3. Just how much benefit does the cylindrical bore give to a flute?

And, if anyone here plays a Dixon 3-piece- how do you rate it? (also, if anyones got links to reviews of the flute, I'd appreciate it).

Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Okay, I'd first like to point you to the search button on the top-right of your screen. You'll find much discussion of entry-level flutes, including Dixons and Tipples and Burns Folk Flutes and some others. There's really no hard and fast answer to your question, but I'm fairly certain that everything you'd want to learn from this thread has been posted on this board numerous times.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

but........we might agree this time

nevermind Image
Congratulations

:lol:

:P
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Seery, M&E, Burns folk flute, and Jon C. come to mind as the best options for a good flute at a lower price.

I like plastic, too, so all the above work except for Burns.

Eric
Congratulations

FWIW, I started on a Tipple, and now I play an M+E. I couldn't be (much) happier.
onewheeldave

Post by onewheeldave »

Congratulations wrote:Okay, I'd first like to point you to the search button on the top-right of your screen. You'll find much discussion of entry-level flutes, including Dixons and Tipples and Burns Folk Flutes and some others. There's really no hard and fast answer to your question, but I'm fairly certain that everything you'd want to learn from this thread has been posted on this board numerous times.

In the short time I've been using this board I've become very familiar with the search button and used it a lot. :)

I've taken the time to put together a detailed question asking for quite specific advice that I've not seen in the flute threads I've seen thus far.

For example, i've read many posts on 'Tipple' flutes and they do sound very nice, however, as far as I can tell they're a much lower price than the range I have in mind and, more important, as I say in my post, I'm asking about flutes with conical bores- I was under the impression that Tipple ploymer flutes are cylindrical?; do let me know if there's a conical tipple as I would be intersted in checking it out.

The other thing, as I said in my post, was that I'm after a flute available in the UK- I have read about the M&E polymers and they do look very nice; however, I've not managed to find a UK site/shop that stocks it- if any UK-ers know of a source, I'd appreciate the info.

Also, from the makers site (www.irishflutes.net), the price of the M&E when converted to GB pounds is- £205 which is a fair bit more than the Dixon, so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's played both of these, similar seeming, polymer flutes, who can offer an opinion on whether the extra price and import issues of getting an M&E are worth it.
Congratulations

onewheeldave wrote:
Congratulations wrote:Okay, I'd first like to point you to the search button on the top-right of your screen. You'll find much discussion of entry-level flutes, including Dixons and Tipples and Burns Folk Flutes and some others. There's really no hard and fast answer to your question, but I'm fairly certain that everything you'd want to learn from this thread has been posted on this board numerous times.

In the short time I've been using this board I've become very familiar with the search button and used it a lot. :)

I've taken the time to put together a detailed question asking for quite specific advice that I've not seen in the flute threads I've seen thus far.

For example, i've read many posts on 'Tipple' flutes and they do sound very nice, however, as far as I can tell they're a much lower price than the range I have in mind and, more important, as I say in my post, I'm asking about flutes with conical bores- I was under the impression that Tipple ploymer flutes are cylindrical?; do let me know if there's a conical tipple as I would be intersted in checking it out.

The other thing, as I said in my post, was that I'm after a flute available in the UK- I have read about the M&E polymers and they do look very nice; however, I've not managed to find a UK site/shop that stocks it- if any UK-ers know of a source, I'd appreciate the info.

Also, from the makers site (www.irishflutes.net), the price of the M&E when converted to GB pounds is- £205 which is a fair bit more than the Dixon, so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's played both of these, similar seeming, polymer flutes.
My point was that there's not really any new information you're going to be able to squeeze out of this thread. In the price range you've listed, the only flute that meets your criteria (conical bore, polymer, in UK) is already in your possession. The best thing to do is to save up some money and buy a flute that is going to be a substantial gain on that Dixon. An M+E would be a good choice, as would a Seery. Both are far and away better flutes than your Dixon. If you wanted to go ahead and save a good deal and lay out some real money, there are even more choices. If you can go around and play some different ones by makers in and around your area, by all means do it, as that's going to get you the most satisfying flute for your money.

All of this has been said before. :)
onewheeldave

Post by onewheeldave »

Congratulations wrote:
My point was that there's not really any new information you're going to be able to squeeze out of this thread. In the price range you've listed, the only flute that meets your criteria (conical bore, polymer, in UK) is already in your possession. The best thing to do is to save up some money and buy a flute that is going to be a substantial gain on that Dixon. An M+E would be a good choice, as would a Seery. Both are far and away better flutes than your Dixon. If you wanted to go ahead and save a good deal and lay out some real money, there are even more choices. If you can go around and play some different ones by makers in and around your area, by all means do it, as that's going to get you the most satisfying flute for your money.

All of this has been said before. :)
I'm afraid you've mis-read or mis-understood my post- I do not possess a conical-bore Dixon in the price range specified.

I possess the much cheaper two-piece cylindrical bore Dixon, which is a totally different instrument from the 3-piece conical bore Dixon.

The 3-piece, by all accounts, including several posted on this board, is comparable to the Seery and M&E- of the threads I've read, some have preferred the Dixon.

So, what I'm looking for is someone who's played both the 3-piece conical bore Dixon and one of the similar flutes in the same price range.

Currently, the Dixon conical 3-piece is looking like the best option, unless someone here is going to claim that, say, the M&E/Seery are substantially superior and back it up with either personal experience or good reasons.
Congratulations

onewheeldave wrote:I'm afraid you've mis-read my post- I do not possess a conical-bore Dixon in the price range specified.

I possess the much cheaper two-piece cylindrical bore Dixon, which is a totally different instrument from the 3-piece conical bore Dixon.

The 3-piece, by all accounts, including several posted on this board, is comparable to the Seery and M&E- of the threads I've read, some have preferred the Dixon.

So, what I'm looking for is someone who's played both the 3-piece conical bore Dixon and one of the similar flutes in the same price range.

Currently, the Dixon conical 3-piece is looking like the best option, unless someone here is going to claim that, say, the M&E/Seery are substantially superior and back it up with either personal experience or good reasons.
You have my sincerest apologies. :oops:

I can attest to the fact that the M+E is substantially better than a Dixon 3-piece. I play an M+E as my main, and I have tooted a bit on someone else's Dixon 3p on one occassion. There is no comparison. The M+E is, comparitively, a professional and lovely instrument, where the Dixon is rather amateur and less interesting. An M+E or Seery (being high-quality, hand-made flutes) will last you well beyond the beginner stages of fluting--a Dixon probably will not. I haven't been playing flute for an outrageously long amount of time, but playing them side by side, the M+E was a superior instrument.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I've owned the three piece Dixon, a Seery and an M&E. I found both the Seery and M&E to be a substantial step up. It's not that Tony makes a bad flute, but it's a small holed flute with a smaller sound - almost baroque like to me (you can really cross finger a lot of accidentals). The Seery and M&E are much more traditional instrument, with tuning slides, bigger holes and a much bigger, more Irish trad sound.

They are worth the extra money in my opinion.

Eric
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

There's a lot of personal preference that goes into finding the right flute for the player. There's really no 'cut and dried' true/false, right/wrong, 0/1 answers for it. In my experience the M&E is easier to play and has better tone than the Dixon conical. But I'm not you. Maybe I was not playing the Dixon the way it wants to be played.

A while back there was a thread called 'one and only' or something like that. I liken it to dating and marriage. There may be that one flute out there for me, but I'll keep dating until I find it. For now my M&E and I are getting along fine, but we've mutually agreed that we are free to 'shop around' as it were. I've informed my M&E that I have a Jon C. on order, and if we hit it off better then I will try to help it find the player that is right for it. I'd reccomend that you come to that same kind of understanding with whatever flute you're playing, until you 'know' it's the one.

Touching the matter of avalibility in the UK, as per the nature of the beast, most of these flutes would be made 'to order.' You would be very fortunate to find any of them in a music store. Generally speaking online is the way to go.

Tapadh leibh,
Coffee

(P.S. I'm running on 3 hours of sleep that ended over 20 hours ago and lots of caffeine, so don't be surprised if I come back and edit this later.)
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
onewheeldave

Post by onewheeldave »

Congratulations wrote:
I can attest to the fact that the M+E is substantially better than a Dixon 3-piece. I play an M+E as my main, and I have tooted a bit on someone else's Dixon 3p on one occassion. There is no comparison. The M+E is, comparitively, a professional and lovely instrument, where the Dixon is rather amateur and less interesting. An M+E or Seery (being high-quality, hand-made flutes) will last you well beyond the beginner stages of fluting--a Dixon probably will not. I haven't been playing flute for an outrageously long amount of time, but playing them side by side, the M+E was a superior instrument.
Jayhawk wrote:I've owned the three piece Dixon, a Seery and an M&E. I found both the Seery and M&E to be a substantial step up. It's not that Tony makes a bad flute, but it's a small holed flute with a smaller sound - almost baroque like to me (you can really cross finger a lot of accidentals). The Seery and M&E are much more traditional instrument, with tuning slides, bigger holes and a much bigger, more Irish trad sound.

They are worth the extra money in my opinion.

Eric
Cofaidh wrote:There's a lot of personal preference that goes into finding the right flute for the player. There's really no 'cut and dried' true/false, right/wrong, 0/1 answers for it. In my experience the M&E is easier to play and has better tone than the Dixon conical. But I'm not you. Maybe I was not playing the Dixon the way it wants to be played.
Cheers for the opinions- it's sounding like the dixon is a little lacking compared to the others. From the different (non-Irish) flutes I've encountered over the years, I do seem to get on better with the ones with relatively bigger/louder finger holes.

It's unfortunate really as I've just been offerd a second-hand Dixon 3 pc for £80 :)

Today I'm going to leeds 'Hobgoblin' to buy several whistles and am hoping to have a try on the Dixon 3 pc, so that should give me a bit of perspective on it.

To be honest, unless I'm getting a substantial christmas treat, the price of a new M&E or Seery is probably out of my range; so I guess it could come down to a choice of getting the Dixon now for a good price, or waiting and going for the more expensive option much later.

As a further question, given that three people on this thread have clearly stated that they consider the Seery/M&E is substantially better, is there anyone who wishes to disagree?

I can appreciate from the feedback that the Dixon 3-pc seems to be lacking, in large part, due to the smaller tone-holes- is this a genaral truism in Irish music (that small holes=bad), or do some musicians actually prefer the smaller holed flute?

(I ask this, cos, of the history I've read of the Irish flute, it seems that the old instruments were essentially acquired ex-orchestral instruments of the time? In which case I would expect that many Irish flutes would be a bit 'baroquey' or have a range of tone-hole sizes?)

I'll anticipate that a really obvious draw back, in the session setting, would be a relative lack of volume.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I have a rosewood Sweetheart - and I liiiike it :-)

http://www.sweetheartflute.com - for more info

/Brian
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Smaller isn't always bad when it comes to tone holes. Grey Larsen does fairly well on a small holed Firth and Pond flute, but Terry McGee has extensively studied F&P flutes and they seem a bit of an anomoly in their ability to produce such a big sound.

A good player can really make a Dixon 3 piece sound quite good. One of it's biggest liabilities is the lack of a tuning slide. I play in tune, so it wasn't a big deal. For folks who play naturally flat, it can be a problem playing with others if you can't get up to A=440.

I sold my Dixon to a professional flute player (and professor of flute) who wanted a banger instrument for a bandmate of hers. She told me she preferred the Dixon to the M&E, but that was the older model M&E not the newer R&R one - so not quite a fair comparison.

The price for that Dixon is quite good...I can understand how it would be a hard decision if money is tight.

Eric