alcoholic content of Guinness

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

alcoholic content of Guinness

Post by fel bautista »

Hey-anyone know what it is??We are at thanksgiving dinner at our house and the conversation turned :-)
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

It isn't excessive. Somewhere around 4.0% to 4.3%. Just nice for a long drink. Doom Bar bitter, my favourite English brew, is similar. Some of my fellow sessioneers drink Abbot's Ale, which is over 5%. That's too much for me over a long evening's partaking of the jorum.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

There are something like twenty or so different variations of Guinness made world-wide, and they taste different from each other as well as differ in their alcohol content; anywhere from 3-8%.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

Guinness Export Extra is available here in Hong Kong, and at 7.5% it demands caution....

b
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

At one microbrewery in Scotland they make "historic" ales, including one called Fraoch, in which the flavouring agent is heather flowers rather than hops. Its alcohol content is about 5%.
Another one they make, which is a recipie brought by the vikings to the northern and western isles, is a pine ale. It's called "Alba" and has an alcohol content of 7.5%.

Both are very good and I reccomend anyone (that's not pregnant or nursing) to try them.

(For the record, Guinness is great.)
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

"alcoholic content of Guinness"
Well... I suppose you'd have to count the bodies in the vat.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

One important point to note: Are you asking about content by volume or by weight.

Here in Utah, there is a 3.2% cap on beer when measured by weight - However, when measured by volume it is actually 4%. An average beer outside the state may run approx. 6% by volume. To my knowledge, Utah is the only state that likes to do things backwards like this and go by weight. However, there may well be other states/countries who do it this way.

Be interesting to note how these measures of Uncle Arthur's medicine compare when using the same yardstick.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Cofaidh wrote:Another one they make, which is a recipie brought by the vikings to the northern and western isles, is a pine ale. It's called "Alba" and has an alcohol content of 7.5%.
What the Vikings brought? Sounds like mead, am I wrong? I suck at viking history though, but I think mead is what they drank predominantly.
BTW, I have a friend of mine who was very fond of brewing his own mead. The first few tries were horrible, but after a while he started to get the hang of it. One of my favourites was when he used honey to flavour it, very strange at first but when you got used to it it quickly became addictive (the taste, not alcohol related of course)
Brian Lee wrote:To my knowledge, Utah is the only state that likes to do things backwards like this and go by weight. However, there may well be other states/countries who do it this way.
I was under the impression thjat the whole US of A liked to do everything backwards :D
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

No, Alba is not mead. My local "Tree House" does a presentation pack of three bottles of ale: One Fraoch, one Alba and one Kelpie - the last being made using seaweed. They are all very agreeable, but Fraoch is probably the most agreeable. The Tree House also sells mead, in various guises, including Metheglyn.

During the First World War when resources were scarce, Norwegians (I think it was) started making ale from lichen. So it's no great jump to imagine Scandinavians making ale from heather.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

The cans of guinness I was drinking last night had 4.1% ABV stamped on them.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

During the First World War when resources were scarce, Norwegians (I think it was) started making ale from lichen.
Here we go again with the lichen...
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Henke wrote: What the Vikings brought? Sounds like mead, am I wrong? I suck at viking history though, but I think mead is what they drank predominantly.
BTW, I have a friend of mine who was very fond of brewing his own mead. The first few tries were horrible, but after a while he started to get the hang of it. One of my favourites was when he used honey to flavour it, very strange at first but when you got used to it it quickly became addictive (the taste, not alcohol related of course)
Honey to flavor it? Mead is honey..essentially, honey, water, and yeast plus any little knicks and knacks you want to add to flavor it. But only little knicks and knacks..add too much (grape juice, apple juice, fruit, etc) it becomes a melomel, cyser, pyment, metheglin, hippocrass or braggot, and it isn't really a mead any more at all.

I've been brewing my own mead now for about 16 years ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Cofaidh wrote:
During the First World War when resources were scarce, Norwegians (I think it was) started making ale from lichen.
Here we go again with the lichen...
Booze and lichen just seem to go together in my mind...;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Henke

Post by Henke »

Right you are wanderer. I'm no expert at these things
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Wanderer wrote:
Henke wrote: What the Vikings brought? Sounds like mead, am I wrong? I suck at viking history though, but I think mead is what they drank predominantly.
Honey to flavor it? Mead is honey..essentially, honey, water, and yeast plus any little knicks and knacks you want to add to flavor it. But only little knicks and knacks..add too much (grape juice, apple juice, fruit, etc) it becomes a melomel, cyser, pyment, metheglin, hippocrass or braggot, and it isn't really a mead any more at all.

I've been brewing my own mead now for about 16 years ;)
hmmmm... cooks and brews... your significant other is quite lucky... :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com