Friendly PMs

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

talasiga, pay attention:-

your alter ego sleep walks in the night and deletes your PMs
16%
your friends and admirers are causeless and have nothing to say to you
12%
you have no friends and admirers here
40%
you are pretending you haven't received any fan mail so that you won't have to respond to them all
4%
I have been to an American college and I can tell this isn't a bona fide topic
28%

Total votes: 25

talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

Cynth wrote:Okay, I'm sure it is because I went to an American college, but I don't understand what this choice means:
Your friends are causeless? What the heck is that?

[followed by sizeable chunks from some thesaurus]

Oh Dear! I see you are suffering the tyranny of American literalism again ........ Do you not read theology? Ever?

Let me put on my saturnine cap for a moment and plod through this with you.

The first synonym for "cause (noun)" is "origin" (Oxford Thesaurus) and the primary meaning of "cause (noun)" is "what produces an effect" (Oxford Concise Dictionary).

A causeless friendship is, like God's causeless love, something that is not an effect of something, something which has no origin, something that is eternal, uncaused and therefore beyond the obsessive reach of explanation.

A causeless friendship has no reason to be, nothing to achieve, no quid pro quo . A causeless friendship need not prove itself, need not fill the vacuum of distance with incessant PMs, perennial encouragement, social approbation.

A causeless friendship, like the inimitable silence between seasoned lovers, revels in the timeless fullness of being.

Do they have such friendships in America?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

talasiga wrote:Do they have such friendships in America?
Walmart, Aisle 42. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

djm wrote:
talasiga wrote:Do they have such friendships in America?
Walmart, Aisle 42. :D

djm
would ya know if they're marked down tomorrow? :wink:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

talasiga wrote:
Cynth wrote:Okay, I'm sure it is because I went to an American college, but I don't understand what this choice means:
Your friends are causeless? What the heck is that?

[followed by sizeable chunks from some thesaurus]

Oh Dear! I see you are suffering the tyranny of American literalism again ........ Do you not read theology? Ever?
Not ever.
talasiga wrote:Let me put on my saturnine cap for a moment and plod through this with you.
Your saturnine cap?
Definition of saturnine
1. [a] showing a brooding ill humor; "a dark scowl"; "the proverbially dour New England Puritan"; "a glum, hopeless shrug"; "in moody silence"; "a morose and unsociable manner"; "a saturnine, almost misanthropic young genius"- Bruce Bliven; "a sour temper". More...

2. [a] bitter or scornful; "the face was saturnine and swarthy, and the sensual lips...twisted with disdain"- Oscar Wilde. More...
Your cap is showing a brooding ill humor and is bitter or scornful? What the heck is that?

talasiga wrote:The first synonym for "cause (noun)" is "origin" (Oxford Thesaurus) and the primary meaning of "cause (noun)" is "what produces an effect" (Oxford Concise Dictionary).

A causeless friendship is, like God's causeless love, something that is not an effect of something, something which has no origin, something that is eternal, uncaused and therefore beyond the obsessive reach of explanation.

A causeless friendship has no reason to be, nothing to achieve, no quid pro quo . A causeless friendship need not prove itself, need not fill the vacuum of distance with incessant PMs, perennial encouragement, social approbation.

A causeless friendship, like the inimitable silence between seasoned lovers, revels in the timeless fullness of being.

Do they have such friendships in America?
Well, except for the part about "something which has no origin" and the "eternal" bits, I think there are friendships in America which would meet all the other criteria. I call that type of friend a kindred spirit.

Okay, I will now study the choices again and decide how to vote.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Cynth wrote: .......
Your cap is showing a brooding ill humor and is bitter or scornful? What the heck is that?
Once agin you are relying on secondary semantic sources.
Do you not read astrolgy? Never.

The source semantic of saturnine is from the astrological Saturn, the serious wizened teacher, archetype of responsibility, long sightedness, builder of structures, the sower and reaper, the agriculturalist, the despised yet indispensable peasant, Old Man Time aka Chronos.
Main metallic association:- lead.

Flights of poetry and poetic flourish in common parlance are Mercurial and Venusian come Neptunian. When such expressions are not understood and the speaker is forced to explain- the creative winged cap is put aside and the leaden cap of Saturn is donned. Heavy stuff but necessary. Flowers and butterflies an that. Yet still manure fork furthers it all. No blame.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

talasiga wrote:
Cynth wrote: .......
Once agin you are relying on secondary semantic sources.
Do you not read astrolgy? Never.
Never, ever :lol: .
talasiga wrote:The source semantic of saturnine is from the astrological Saturn, the serious wizened teacher, archetype of responsibility, long sightedness, builder of structures, the sower and reaper, the agriculturalist, the despised yet indispensable peasant, Old Man Time aka Chronos.
Main metallic association:- lead.

Flights of poetry and poetic flourish in common parlance are Mercurial and Venusian come Neptunian. When such expressions are not understood and the speaker is forced to explain- the creative winged cap is put aside and the leaden cap of Saturn is donned. Heavy stuff but necessary. Flowers and butterflies an that. Yet still manure fork furthers it all. No blame.
I never heard about Saturn wearing a leaden cap---I can see why that would make a planet gloomy. I'm sure it is very tedious to have to explain one's poetical flourishes-----but at least you know you've done the right thing :lol:. OH! I just read that Saturn ate all his children but one. Are we talking about the same Saturn?
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

Cynth wrote:I just read that Saturn ate all his children but one. Are we talking about the same Saturn?
How could he have eaten all his children when they are there today still, mooning him? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think the moons are Saturn's brothers and sisters.
He didn't actually eat all his children.
Jupiter was hidden and was the only survivor.
Saturn devouring his son
(Francisco de Goya, c. 1815).
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:
Cynth wrote:I just read that Saturn ate all his children but one. Are we talking about the same Saturn?
How could he have eaten all his children when they are there today still, mooning him? :D

djm
Oh, you're a sly one. Don't answer your own question. Thanks. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I hope no one is suggesting that I devour my PMs.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

talasiga wrote:I hope no one is suggesting that I devour my PMs.
On the other hand you should be used to eating your words by now. :P
/Bloomfield
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Wham!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Bloomfield wrote:
::rimshot::
:D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Bloomfield wrote:
I'd eat your PM for breakfast except its not AM here now.